Coin toss Question... Do you take the ball or pick a side?

halps80

Reaction score
I would always defer. It's a matter of simple math. The team that receives the second half kickoff is guaranteed to have at least as many second half possessions as their opponent, with a chance to have one more possession that their opponent. The team that kicks can end up with one less offensive possession. Under the presumption that 2nd half possessions > 1st half possessions, I would always defer.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
I actually would take the kick and the wind. I think Pete really wants to get a lead and make them one dimensional and getting ahead is a far bigger deal for the home team at Century Link Field then it is to New Orleans.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Pete likes to defer. It puts the defense on the field to set the tone (smash mouth!) and hopefully gives you field position advantage if you can force the other team to go three and out right away. It also means you get the ball to start the second half.

sutz

Reaction score
Defer. Having 'voted' in the 'poll' I had a comment/question...are people sure you switch ends every quarter? I think they actually switch ends only at the end of the first and third quarter, which would mean that if you chose your end at the start of the game, you'd have the same end in the 4th? Am I crazy?

IAE, it is much more important to start the 2d half with the ball than the 1st. So, yeah, defer.

halps80

Reaction score
Whenever I hear people talk about whether a team should take the ball first or defer, they only seem to talk about the impact on the first series of each half. That's a shortsighted approach, IMHO. Getting the ball first to start the game may give instant gratification, but it's not a wise long-term investment in terms of potential game outcome. The following are facts:
1. There are either an even number of offensive possessions in a half, or an odd number.
2. If the number is even, Each team has the same number of possessions.
3. If there is an odd number, then one team has an extra possession.
4. If there is an odd number, then the team with the extra possession must be the team that had the first possession of the half.
5. All games are won by the team with the most points after the second half of play.

Therefore, I always want to ensure that I have at least as many, and hopefully one more, second half possession than my opponent, and never want to give them the opportunity at an extra second half possession. If I am behind at the half, it gives me more opportunities to catch up. If I'm ahead, it gives them fewer opportunities to catch up.

chris98251

Reaction score
Defer, start on defense and set the tone early, get in their heads at the start, you get feild position.