Colin kaepernick gets contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Front7vLOB":2ym5heul said:
Looks like Kap asked for a small signing bonus so that the 49ers will have room to sign Crabtree..

And to SoulfishHawk, a fellow Hawk fan of yours whined first about the Candlestick loss. I don't walk around complaining.

Not sure how that will help sign Crabtree. A small signing bonus just means his cap numbers are pushed higher in later years. At some point, the $60M guaranteed has to be accounted for. Of course, they can toy with both of their numbers to make things workable, but the small bonus in itself doesn't complete the job.

Either way, they probably could have fit in Crabtree if they really wanted him. The question is can they squeeze in Crabree, Iupat, re-do Davis, re-do Boone, etc., etc...

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's the way it should be, the hate between the two teams is what makes it fun. Clearly they were the best 2 teams in football last year.

Front7vLOB

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1odt24e1 said:
Front7vLOB":1odt24e1 said:
Looks like Kap asked for a small signing bonus so that the 49ers will have room to sign Crabtree..

And to SoulfishHawk, a fellow Hawk fan of yours whined first about the Candlestick loss. I don't walk around complaining.

Not sure how that will help sign Crabtree. A small signing bonus just means his cap numbers are pushed higher in later years. At some point, the $60M guaranteed has to be accounted for. Of course, they can toy with both of their numbers to make things workable, but the small bonus in itself doesn't complete the job.

Either way, they probably could have fit in Crabtree if they really wanted him. The question is can they squeeze in Crabree, Iupat, re-do Davis, re-do Boone, etc., etc...
You seem to be more knowledgeable than me on this stuff..

I am just trying to decide if these two tweets by Schefter are linked, or if they are just separate musings..

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 14m

Most unique aspect of Colin Kaepernick’s new deal: it contains $12 million in signing bonus, whereas most big QB deals are $24-$40 million.

Colin Kaepernick specifically requested his deal allow 49ers flexibility to negotiate extensions with players such as WR Michael Crabtree.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Front7vLOB":1ki1qdjr said:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 60s

Most unique aspect of Colin Kaepernick’s new deal: it contains $12 million in signing bonus, whereas most big QB deals are $24-$40 million.

oops...beat me to it. :)

rideaducati

Reaction score
Damn, this contract is gonna make EVERYONE forget about the Kolb contract when it comes to bad QB contracts.

I couldn't be more happy knowing the niners are stuck with a bad QB for several more years and will be less able to sign good players to put around him..

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":2x5of2tp said:
Damn, this contract is gonna make EVERYONE forget about the Kolb contract when it comes to bad QB contracts.

I couldn't be more happy knowing the niners are stuck with a bad QB for several more years and will be less able to sign good players to put around him..

...I have to at least give you points for consistency.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":360fe277 said:
rideaducati":360fe277 said:

I took all consistency points from chokernick, that's why he's not consistent at all.

Front7vLOB

Reaction score
Marvin49":w3r5h2ht said:
rideaducati":w3r5h2ht said:

Regardless if you think Kap is a good QB or not, reports have said Kap was going to get $20m a year. He ends up getting $18m a year.

So, I don't know why people are acting dumbfounded. A large contract was expected. In fact, the dude accepted a pretty reasonable deal. Again, Kap might not be a SB quarterback, but he is only 26 and is the 5th highest paid QB in the league.. Not too bad all things considered.

Front7vLOB

Reaction score
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 53s

Since Colin Kaepernick’s 1st start in 2012, he’s 3rd-highest rated QB w/ total QBR of 69.6, trailing only Manning (83.3) and Rodgers (71.3).

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Front7vLOB":30hzfng8 said:
DavidSeven":30hzfng8 said:
Front7vLOB":30hzfng8 said:

You seem to be more knowledgeable than me on this stuff..

I am just trying to decide if these two tweets by Schefter are linked, or if they are just separate musings..

Colin Kaepernick specifically requested his deal allow 49ers flexibility to negotiate extensions with players such as WR Michael Crabtree.

A smaller signing bonus does give them a bit more flexibility in moving the numbers around. But it also means his average-per-year has to be higher in later years.

Sometimes a big signing bonus is helpful to a team's cap. Sometimes the opposite is true. It really depends on the team's cap situation and when they need to start paying other players. But Schefter is right in that it does give them some degree of flexibility.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Front7vLOB":2rjkrtn0 said:

Since Colin Kaepernick’s 1st start in 2012, he’s 3rd-highest rated QB w/ total QBR of 69.6, trailing only Manning (83.3) and Rodgers (71.3).

He should thank Trent Dilhole for coming up with a rating system for QB's that emphasizes running so much.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Front7vLOB":1cnpt8cc said:

Kaepernick is a good player. But QBR is an ESPN joke.

Front7vLOB

Reaction score
rideaducati":1dgkukvk said:
Front7vLOB":1dgkukvk said:

He should thank Trent Dilhole for coming up with a rating system for QB's that emphasizes running so much.
While I think the rating system is flawed, it's not like Kap ran all that much last season.

But, yeah, QBR isn't a very good tool to judge QB play

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Football Outsiders is reporting 6 years, $110 million. Not the $126 the OP posted.

Front7vLOB

Reaction score
DavidSeven":18byuexh said:
Sometimes a big signing bonus is helpful to a team's cap. Sometimes the opposite is true. It really depends on the team's cap situation and when they need to start paying other players. But Schefter is right in that it does give them some degree of flexibility.

Thanks for clarifying. Sounds like we can't really judge this contract for at least a few more seasons.

SalishHawkFan, I would think the 126 is the correct number.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Front7vLOB":4mx158vf said:
rideaducati":4mx158vf said:
Front7vLOB":4mx158vf said:

While I think the rating system is flawed, it's not like Kap ran all that much last season.

But, yeah, QBR isn't a very good tool to judge QB play
In the playoff loss he posted a QBR of 65, just below his career average. With three turnovers.

QBR is dogshit.

Front7vLOB

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2pc3i5vd said:
In the playoff loss he posted a QBR of 65, just below his career average. With three turnovers.

QBR is dogshit.
I thought he played well in the playoffs. He won two away games against formidable opponents (I don't think GB's defense was even remotely good, but that weather and that stadium is tough to play in), and almost won in the CLink..

I'm confused how he didn't play up to par

JZ#1

Reaction score
How you play against the Seahawks is the barometer for how good of a player you are. I am shocked they haven't cut that trash Peyton Manning yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts