Collective Thoughts on Justin Britt

pehawk

Reaction score
bigskydoc":fvd1ubl0 said:
Almost forgot about that dude. You are dead on.

- bsd

I was as excited for Scott as I was any of the 2014 class. Dude was a Sparq freak...

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Britt will be an upgrade over Bailey at RT and has improved here and there over the course of the season.

That's not to say that Bailey is a bad player. Bailey can play LT and lock it down better than Okung at times, it seems, and can play LG for Carp and we don't miss a beat, but flipping sides is difficult. Your "kick drop" is backward, for starters. That in and of itself is extremely difficult for most players. It's like trying to change the leg you predominantly jump off of in basketball or other sports. It can even be as bad as trying to change the hand you write with for some. Carp had this problem as a rook. He just couldn't get enough on that left inside leg to kick the right one back well enough to get enough depth in his kick drop so he could square up with the DE. I saw Bailey doing the same thing. It's like drag racing....if you get a bad start you're toast.

At any rate, I'm hoping Cable will start to recognize these sorts of things and quit screwing around with trying to put square pegs in round holes. I thought he learned his lesson with Carp in this regard, but maybe not.

Of course, our alternative was to play Gilliam there where he may or may not be more natural on the right side though as well. Maybe he too is more fit for the left side and Bailey really was the best/only alternative.

Either way, I'd really like to NOT see Bailey on the right side of the line again, much like Carp. They are both good players on the left and should be....left there.

Oh yeah, back to Britt; best option we have and has been good enough probably 90% of the time and is still improving. Early on I saw problems with footwork on the right side, but that has subsided over the course of the season from pretty bad to about average.

pehawk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1jmwb024 said:
Britt will be an upgrade over Bailey at RT and has improved here and there over the course of the season.

That's not to say that Bailey is a bad player. Bailey can play LT and lock it down better than Okung at times, it seems, and can play LG for Carp and we don't miss a beat, but flipping sides is difficult. Your "kick drop" is backward, for starters. That in and of itself is extremely difficult for most players. It's like trying to change the leg you predominantly jump off of in basketball or other sports. It can even be as bad as trying to change the hand you write with for some. Carp had this problem as a rook. He just couldn't get enough on that left inside leg to kick the right one back well enough to get enough depth in his kick drop so he could square up with the DE. I saw Bailey doing the same thing. It's like drag racing....if you get a bad start you're toast.

At any rate, I'm hoping Cable will start to recognize these sorts of things and quit screwing around with trying to put square pegs in round holes. I thought he learned his lesson with Carp in this regard, but maybe not.

Of course, our alternative was to play Gilliam there where he may or may not be more natural on the right side though as well. Maybe he too is more fit for the left side and Bailey really was the best/only alternative.

Either way, I'd really like to NOT see Bailey on the right side of the line again, much like Carp. They are both good players on the left and should be....left there.

Oh yeah, back to Britt; best option we have and has been good enough probably 90% of the time and is still improving. Early on I saw problems with footwork on the right side, but that has subsided over the course of the season from pretty bad to about average.

Good post, Snookums. For real, loves it.

I know at the Senior Bowl Seattle was the only team who worked out Carp primarily at guard. He was drafted to be a guard, but they developed him at RT for a year. Think its possible it'll be the same for Britt?

vin.couve12

Reaction score
pehawk":1ve3n08s said:
vin.couve12":1ve3n08s said:

Good post, Snookums. For real, loves it.

I know at the Senior Bowl Seattle was the only team who worked out Carp primarily at guard. He was drafted to be a guard, but they developed him at RT for a year. Think its possible it'll be the same for Britt?

I don't think so. Carp showed no improvement at RT in terms of footwork. Not enough anyway. Britt has shown marked improvement with his footwork on the right side (both were LTs in college). Personally, I always saw Carp as a LG and posted as much even when he was a rook. Britt is all tackle. The problem is that he's not quite athletic enough to be a LT at the pro level. I think for Britt it's RT or bust and I don't see him being a bust. By the time he's played out his contract we'll likely be wanting to re-sign a solid starter at RT. Not unlike Breno.

LT is what concerns me going forward. Okung hasn't quite proven to be worth his contract. Even when he is on the field he's still not playing quite to that standard. Bailey has come in and played at about the same level (remember that Bailey is a VERY good athlete for the position), but the other problem is LG in that Carp would cost 7M (I think) if we picked up his option for next year. Bailey can fill one of the two spots very well, but not both, obviously. I don't know what they're going to do, but the left side of our line even next year could be Bailey and Okung or Bailey and someone else. I doubt they retain Carp unless he wants to resign for a very team friendly deal.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Oh, and don't say things like Snookums. I had to double take for a second because I thought you were trying to sneak in an old Jargon word.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
pehawk":2h0z4rzx said:
bigskydoc":2h0z4rzx said:
Almost forgot about that dude. You are dead on.

- bsd

I was as excited for Scott as I was any of the 2014 class. Dude was a Sparq freak...
True, he was. And I thought the Hawks handles his whole situation with honor.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Self test for folks to illustrate playing LT or RT.

Stand like you're lining up at both. On the left side your right foot will be forward. On the right side your left foot will be forward.

You would use your forward foot to "kick" the opposite leg back to be able to open up your stance and square up with the DE. One leg will have more strength in doing this and will feel more natural.

Then ask yourself: Would you ever be able to feel comfortable and get your balance underneath you on the unnatural side? Would you ever be able to strengthen the off-leg enough so that you could get enough liftoff to make the difference moot or less discernible?

One of the more simple foundations of playing on the OL and often overlooked when it comes to rating how a player does at X position.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1d0g2ek9 said:
... but the other problem is LG in that Carp would cost 7M (I think) if we picked up his option for next year.
Pete and John already said "pass" on that opportunity... Carp is a FA at the end of this season.

ManBunts

Reaction score
Britt got thrown into the fire and did well. Unfortunately he had a few calls that were rather key. Not bad holds per se, I'd rather he hold than let Russell get obliterated, but the'd always come after 20 yard run, a big pass, etc. They weren't damming, but they stuck out, so i was a big critic for awhile. But after looking at it in the grand scheme of things, he's done well and has lots of room for growth. Give him a solid, healthy line to grow with and he gets very good

bigskydoc

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3rqolz3x said:

Stand like you're lining up at both. On the left side your right foot will be forward. On the right side your left foot will be forward.

You would use your forward foot to "kick" the opposite leg back to be able to open up your stance and square up with the DE. One leg will have more strength in doing this and will feel more natural...

Something folks might be able to relate to this even better. If you are a snowboarder, or skateboarder, then you are either naturally regular or goofy foot. Imagine riding switch. It can be done, and some will do it well, but we all are naturally and reflexively either goofy or regular. Same thing with hockey stop on skates or skis. You will always have a strong side.

- bsd

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Yup. It relates to a lot of things. I just thought some folks could use a perspective in the case of Bailey due to some of the comments. Not that anyone was wrong about how he played at RT. He's still a very valuable player and will likely be a starter next year. A solid one at that.

Jville

Reaction score
With regards to Alvin Bailey, it is a shame that he Bailey continues to struggle with weight issues. He is really smart and processes a tackle's arm length to become a starter. He just hasn't been able to claim a spot at 350 pounds. To much weight slows change of direction and 4th quarter stamina. That gets in the way of a team with an emphasis on movement, change of direction and 4th quarter finishes.

Jville

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3pw6wydw said:
What are your insights and impressions of him and what growth can we expect for him in pass-protection? We can all agree has the potential to be a top tier run blocker in is future if not then above average.

Just one question: When is the last time a rookie started all 16 games for the Seahawks? My mind can't even begin to conjure up a name.

I do not recall any rookie lineman coming in and playing in 16 consecutive games much less starting in ever regular season game. What Justin Britt has accomplished in year one appears to be unprecedented. Even the great Walter Jones was unable to negotiate his rookie season without being knocked off the roster.

Player availability is an often undervalued aspect. Justin Britt is second only to JR Sweezy in snap counts for 2014. That says a lot. Like Sweezy, Britt was chosen for zone run blocking. That is consistent with recent Cable/Carroll history. I would expect Britt to improve his pass blocking in year two. He is literally just getting started. Britt just misses out on the rough rule of thumb for arm length minimum of 34 inches for offensive tackles....... so we may hear speculation of him being moved inside. Like other examples around the league, he, never-the-less, possesses other attributes that make him competitive as an offensive tackle. As was the case with Sweezy, it may take a couple years for all the noise to die away.

purpleneer

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3hgcc0h1 said:

You would use your forward foot to "kick" the opposite leg back to be able to open up your stance and square up with the DE. One leg will have more strength in doing this and will feel more natural.

Then ask yourself: Would you ever be able to feel comfortable and get your balance underneath you on the unnatural side? Would you ever be able to strengthen the off-leg enough so that you could get enough liftoff to make the difference moot or less discernible?

One of the more simple foundations of playing on the OL and often overlooked when it comes to rating how a player does at X position.
I think you're overstating the difference. It takes many years and reps for the comfort level to become that different. Of the things where one side or direction is more natural, I always found it to be one of the easier things to become comfortable the other way. When I've effed around with snowboard/surfing type action, the difference is much more pronounced.

lsheldon

Reaction score
Seems like just yesterday people were dong nothing but complaining about Britt and his poor pass blocking. Now look.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":2bl309s0 said:
I would move him to LG next year if/when Carpenter walks in free agency. Britt is atrocious in pass protection, and doesn't have the feet or balance to succeed in that area on the edge. His run blocking and background on the left side at Missouri gives him a good foundation for success at LG as he continues to gain strength, particularly in the lower body. He can be protected in pass pro there, by the LT and C, and he certainly has the requisite athleticism to be a solid pulling guard who can get to the second level. I see him as middling OT prospect long term, but an above average OG prospect.
Damn I'm good. 8)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Britt was always a stretch at tackle, just not quite athletic and quick enough to handle the elite pass rushers in the league (as we saw Friday night, and many many times last season).

But I do think he can be an upper tier guard, so I'm OK with the move.

Chawker

Reaction score
Both Britt and Poole are in the 320 lbs range which would lead me to believe that there home would be on the right side. I think that one of the two will settle in at RG. and the other will play RT. But they need help with a pro bowl DE like Miller, A RB should of known this, its basic football 101.