Do you believe this about Russell Wilson?

RiverDog

Reaction score
Russell's Wonderlic score was a 28. The average score for NFL players is 20, and for QB's it's 24. That doesn't always equate to football smarts, but the league used it for a reason, so it obviously has some merit. When you couple that fact with what we've known about Russell, that he has a very strong work ethic, I would tend to think that the story isn't true, at least not in its entirety.

I do know that there were rumors that when he was with the Broncos, that he was calling old Seahawk audibles that no one understood, and there was a controversy about him wearing a wristband when his coaches suggested it. The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

Donn2390

Reaction score
Yes, I absolutely believe it and I think it was fairly obvious.

He can run exactly one offense, and there's absolutely a reason why our offense kept returning to the same exact thing (in terms of philosophy and certain playcalling tendencies) during Russell's tenure here.

He's not a processor, he's not a strategist, he's none of that. He needs the structure done for him and he'll improvise within it.

What Pete Carroll did with Russell Wilson and FOR Russell Wilson was a God-like feat of coaching prowess. The fact that he took as much heat as he did for it and let himself be slandered for years?

Man was a saint.
First time I've disagreed with you since the beginning of time..!
Man was a saint... Man IS a saint..

toffee

Reaction score
Russell's Wonderlic score was a 28. The average score for NFL players is 20, and for QB's it's 24. That doesn't always equate to football smarts, but the league used it for a reason, so it obviously has some merit. When you couple that fact with what we've known about Russell, that he has a very strong work ethic, I would tend to think that the story isn't true, at least not in its entirety.

I do know that there were rumors that when he was with the Broncos, that he was calling old Seahawk audibles that no one understood, and there was a controversy about him wearing a wristband when his coaches suggested it. The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

You have a point about wonderlic, Brady was 33, Aaron Rodger was 35, Alex Smith was 40, Aikman was 29.

Russell Wilson is not dumb, quite sure someone who generated close to 1/2 billion dollars of wealth in less than 20 years couldn't be dumb.

strohmin

Reaction score
You have a point about wonderlic, Brady was 33, Aaron Rodger was 35, Alex Smith was 40, Aikman was 29.

Russell Wilson is not dumb, quite sure someone who generated close to 1/2 billion dollars of wealth in less than 20 years couldn't be dumb.
Hes not dumb but he is delusional. Delusional going beyond maximizing his talents yet destroying everything around him.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I am cheering for Wilson this year. I hope he balls out and takes the Steelers to the playoffs.

Then, when they resign him for big money, he can destroy the team from within and set them back a decade like he did in Denver.

The Paul Allen memorial revenge tour continues!
I think what's more likely to happen is that he wins the first game or two, then loses the next six, then gets benched. As much as I'd love to see Pitt give Russ a Denver-size contract, I think he's out as soon as the season is over.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I think what's more likely to happen is that he wins the first game or two, then loses the next six, then gets benched. As much as I'd love to see Pitt give Russ a Denver-size contract, I think he's out as soon as the season is over.
He might not make it through the season,they are paying him cheap so they
can easily cut him in season with no problems if done.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Hes not dumb but he is delusional. Delusional going beyond maximizing his talents yet destroying everything around him.
I completely agree that Russell is delusional. His comments and statements are verifiable proof of that. But that's not the issue. The issue here is his ability to process information. The man isn't as smart as Ryan Fitzpatrick, Eli Manning, Drew Bledsoe, et al. But he's not as stupid as he's being portrayed.

This is what is known as piling on. When a guy is down, let's just jump on top and join in on the fun.

Last edited:

toffee

Reaction score
I completely agree that Russell is delusional. His comments and statements are verifiable proof of that. But that's not the issue. The issue here is his ability to process information. The man isn't as smart as Ryan Fitzpatrick, Eli Manning, Drew Bledsoe, et al. But he's not as stupid as he's being portrayed.

This is what is known as piling on. When a guy is down, let's just jump on top and join in on the fun.
I like to speculate that Russell Wilson has a slow processor not good at making split-second decisions. That is not critical in everyday life, but essential in playing QB. In 25 seconds, a QB needed to receive plays, and relay that to his teammates and make assignments. After that, in less than 3 seconds, QB needs to read the defense, make changes if necessary, snap the ball, make multiple reads of his receivers, decide, and execute according to the plays received.

Wilson may not be wired to do all the above in less than 28 seconds.

knownone

Reaction score
Judging by the Wonderlic sample questions, Russell's score does not indicate much. Here's an example from the Indy Star.

Find the word that doesn't belong:
A: Inch
B: Meter
C: Centimeter
D: Kilometer

Honestly, the whole sample test feels like something you'd only score poorly on if you weren't interested in trying.

strohmin

Reaction score

Oh Im not disagreeing with you in his ability to process. Im just pointing out that Russell is delusional about his ability to play the QB position like a Manning or Brady. He probably tries to study like it but wont accept that he is unable to execute the way they do.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Judging by the Wonderlic sample questions, Russell's score does not indicate much. Here's an example from the Indy Star.

Find the word that doesn't belong:
A: Inch
B: Meter
C: Centimeter
D: Kilometer

Honestly, the whole sample test feels like something you'd only score poorly on if you weren't interested in trying.
The league seems to think that it has some value or else they wouldn't have been using it for some 40 years. It isn't always a good indicator of success as there have been some QB's who scored very low but ended up in the HOF (Terry Bradshaw comes to mind), but it does a fair job of assessing basic intelligence, at least on the extreme ends of the spectrum. It's no coincidence that Ryan Fitzpatrick, a Harvard grad, aced it.

I took the test, and there's a strategy to it. It's a timed test, so what you do is knock out the no brainers like the question you posted above first and if you have time, go back and answer the questions that require more thought later. It's about processing information. If you can find those gimmes quickly, you can put up a decent score even if you're not a Harvard grad like Fitz. Practicing helps, so you can prepare for it.

If Russell scored that high on the test, he has the ability to process information and the work ethic to prepare for it, which would tend to indicate that the stories about him are false.

Last edited:

chrispy

Reaction score
I have nothing to prove the following, but I've posted here on .net previously about it and believe it to be playing out predictably.

Russel Wilson is a victim of concussions.

The first time I posted about it was the first game of '22 when he came back to Seattle. You all know the game so no need to describe it. He was lost at the end of the game. Just prior to those last few plays, he was sacked and then subsequently hit in the backfield. It was barely shown on TV. I believe he was concussed.

I think excessive sacks and hits over many years have diminished his recall capacity. I think it has made him more susceptible to external suggestion. I think it has changed his decision making processes. I think it changes his memorization abilities. I think, in the off-season, he seems to be ok. Then, in-season, after a few minor hits he gets foggy.

To me, the above makes the most sense to explain the decline in certain aspects of his performance. He's still the same guy the Seahawks drafted, but his deficits are more difficult for him to work around. It also explains the off-field choices, some of which seem to be so obviously detrimental.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
The league seems to think that it has some value or else they wouldn't have been using it for some 40 years. It isn't always a good indicator of success as there have been some QB's who scored very low but ended up in the HOF (Terry Bradshaw comes to mind), but it does a fair job of assessing basic intelligence, at least on the extreme ends of the spectrum. It's no coincidence that Ryan Fitzpatrick, a Harvard grad, aced it.

I took the test, and there's a strategy to it. It's a timed test, so what you do is knock out the no brainers like the question you posted above first and if you have time, go back and answer the questions that require more thought later. It's about processing information. If you can find those gimmes quickly, you can put up a decent score even if you're not a Harvard grad like Fitz. Practicing helps, so you can prepare for it.

If Russell scored that high on the test, he has the ability to process information and the work ethic to prepare for it, which would tend to indicate that the stories about him are false.
I don't recall that test being timed as if you were playing QB,I may be wrong tbf.
I just think he has a slow processor, not able to do more than 2 reads before it all
goes off script and I have no doubt this pissed SP off because your not running the complete play(s) as designed.
All 22 showed guys open in Seattle ,Denver and here he is sand lotting it out.

jeremiah

Reaction score
CYNICISM is an underrated virtue, your tagline is perfect for this thread. I think Payton didn't like Russ, and did everything he could do to run him out of town. Maybe he doesn't relate to black QB's? Whatever it was in Denver, it was personal.

toffee

Reaction score
I suspect one could practice on wonderlic questions in preparation for the test, the more that you do, the better you will be at doing it. Russell Wilson was a serious young man, I won't be surprised that he practiced a lot before he took the official test by NFL.

LOL, I took one of those 50-question tests, I ran out of time when I reached question 30, out of those I got 26 of them right. I might be able to do a little bit better if I had a pen and paper, or if I was a bit younger as I am a lot slower nowadays.

knownone

Reaction score

The test was designed to weed out job applicants. So, I assume that it holds value in showing that the prospect put some effort into their studies and prepared for the draft.

Personally, I don't think it holds much value to evaluate someone's ability to quickly process a play call, though. Performance seems heavily dependent on your general knowledge and experience with that style of problem-solving. Given that Wonderlic doesn't go beyond basic algebra and logic, the score will scale with practice (as you noted) more than anything. And how much do those topics transfer to learning a playbook and regurgitating it in games? Probably not that much. One relies primarily on pattern recognition, while the other focuses on language, memory, and communication.

That doesn't mean Russ is dumb or anything (if this is the case). Some people just struggle with different tasks. My wife is a good example of this. She could easily score high on the Wonderlic-style test but couldn't find her way home from work without a GPS (slight exaggeration).