Comeback Kid - Russell Wilson

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
So, I recall reading a thread on here months ago about how many 4th quarter/ot comebacks and winning drives Russell Wilson has and after todays game it had me wondering what his number is now.

According to profootballreference before this game, Russell Wilson had lead five 4th quarter comebacks in his career. I think this makes six.

If he's at six today, he's lead more 4th quarter comebacks than...
Andy Dalton
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Aaron Rodgers
Andrew Luck
TJack
Colin Krapperdink
RG3
Cam Newton
Ryan Tannehill

That's not exactly the best company other than Aaron Rodgers...

But if you consider Peyton Manning has the most with 38 through 15(ish) seasons (roughly 2.53 4th quarter comebacks/season) and what Russ has been averaging over a little more than one season, it is a pretty good indicator of his potential "clutch" factor.

I believe in Russell Wilson. The dude can put the team on his back when he needs to and make big plays. You take a look at the Atlanta game and this game, and there is no reason to ever doubt this team with RW at QB.

PS - Big win today and props to Richard Sherman and the defense making this win possible in the second half and OT.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Nice thought but I believe the comeback must be attributed to the entire team, the defense for shutting down Houston after 20 points, the special teams and the running game. Granted, Russell made some critical runs, especially on 4th down, but he will be the first to tell you it was a team effort.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
There is not another QB in the league that would have given this team a shot today, given the pressure he was under.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
While this may be good news to some here on .net....a majority won't be completely satisfied until he does it in the Super Bowl.

OP
OP
JGfromtheNW

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
I completely agree with you. This game was won on defense and special teams beginning in the second half.

I just figure he'll be getting credit for another 4th quarter comeback and it had me thinking where that number was in his career.

sutz

Reaction score
He did it twice against Chicago.

(Well sort of. He tied it in the 4th and won it in OT. :))

Seanhawk

Reaction score
sutz":106w6afo said:

You were right the first time. Both drives in Chicago put them in the lead

sutz

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2s9lxl89 said:
sutz":2s9lxl89 said:

You were right the first time. Both drives in Chicago put them in the lead
My bad. ;)

Hawknballs

Reaction score
hawkfan1975":bv304w1m said:
This wasn't a "RW led comeback".

Not at all actually.

no but he made some clutch plays against a shaky o-line to keep us in the game, that no other QB would have been able to make. Can't take that away from him.

hawk45

Reaction score
Yeah, this particular game wasn't (an RW led comeback). I do give him credit for not turning into an INT machine with the way he was being battered around, on the road, and behind by a large margin. That showed poise. But other than one drive in the 4th quarter (which admittedly was a big drive), this was a defense-led comeback.

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
Hawknballs":12vmhado said:
hawkfan1975":12vmhado said:
This wasn't a "RW led comeback".

Not at all actually.

no but he made some clutch plays against a shaky o-line to keep us in the game, that no other QB would have been able to make. Can't take that away from him.

Well you're right about the last qrtr clutch plays. Yes.
I just don't agree (at all) with "that no other qb could make".
Oh well, no big.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
down like they were pushed around all game and no credit for commanding the team on a 98 yard TD drive late in the game to cut the lead to one score? isn't that sort of..what a comeback is?

mikeak

Reaction score
He gets the comeback. Pretty sure they said 6 before today. So that would be 7 now. 2 this season

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
I'm not saying I'm not a RW fan, but I need to be honest here that I really need to see him playing better. Through PS to this game hes been rather ho-hum. I know it's a long season left but if he's better than this, the time is now to start performing. I get concerned when defense is relied on for putting up points.

I am a RW fan (just a bit leary right now with him).

Hawknballs

Reaction score
hawkfan1975":3d46jpat said:
I'm not saying I'm not a RW fan, but I need to be honest here in saying I really need to see him playing better. Through PS to this game hes been rather ho-hum. I know it's a long season left but if he's better than this, the time is now to start performing. I get concerned when defense is relied on for putting up points.

I am a RW fan (just a bit leary).

I think you need to watch the game again and see the o-line collapsing around him. I appreciated the fact that he was willing to take some hits and sacks rather than throwing the ball up for grabs and Shaubing the game away.

Kudos tot he Oline late though they rallied and did some really nice things after a horrible first half.

OrFan

Reaction score
We have never had a qb who could do what Wilson pulled off today. If it were not for the magic he pulled off with his feet today, we would have lost. He did pretty well all game considering how bad the offensive line was.

WarHawks

Reaction score
If RW had had the time to sit in the pocket that Schaub had, he would have thrown for 300+ yards. Our O line has been a sieve this year so far. Thankfully, the dude is clutch, and without his scrambling ability, we would have lost the game.

Latest posts