Commanders sold for $6 Billion

Vesuve

Reaction score
The league still has to approve it and I assume it will.

One of the worst owners in sports is gone but ca$she$ out.

ZornLargentPatera

Reaction score
The thing that bothers me the most about Snyder is that for years he swore up and down that he would "NEVER" change the beloved, traditional, historical nickname of Washington Redskins, but then he wound up caving in anyway. And what a horrible, milk toast name they chose. "Commanders." El lame-o!

Can't decide which is worse, Cleveland Indians to Cleveland "Guardians" or Washington Redskins to Washington "Commanders."

And history goes down the drain again!

OP
OP
Vesuve

Vesuve

Reaction score
The thing that bothers me the most about Snyder is that for years he swore up and down that he would "NEVER" change the beloved, traditional, historical nickname of Washington Redskins, but then he wound up caving in anyway. And what a horrible, milk toast name they chose. "Commanders." El lame-o!

Can't decide which is worse, Cleveland Indians to Cleveland "Guardians" or Washington Redskins to Washington "Commanders."

And history goes down the drain again!
iirc,

I think there was pressure on the organization to change the name and I think there was finances or something involved....someone here on the board knows.

I think the new name of Commanders is awful.....I actually liked the "Washington Football Club" and will just refer to the team as "Washington."

Snyder really ruined the fanbase over his 24 years or so.....some started following the Baltimore Ravens up the road.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
I think the new name of Commanders is awful.....I actually liked the "Washington Football Club" and will just refer to the team as "Washington."
While I would be fine with that between their nicknames a lot of media reports referred to them as the "Football Team" which was just wierd as if the other teams in the NFL were not football teams. Did make me wonder how many media reports are written my computers.

I think the name change was forced on team, protesters put a lot of pressure on sponsors that their products would be boycotted if they continues to Sponsor the team and the sponsors in response said they would end their sponsorship unless there was a name change, given the circumstances I doubt any new sponsors could be found offering anything like the sort of money an NFL team would need.

BASF

Reaction score
Ah, the old guard. Have to love defending the use of a racial slur as a team name. Redskin is literally a term by white people to disparage another race. But, hey why not use it as a team name?

And, before any of you old guard start spouting off, I have zero problem with Indians or Braves, but yeah, Redskins is wrong.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Ah, the old guard. Have to love defending the use of a racial slur as a team name. Redskin is literally a term by white people to disparage another race. But, hey why not use it as a team name?

And, before any of you old guard start spouting off, I have zero problem with Indians or Braves, but yeah, Redskins is wrong.
I agree the Indians and Braves are fine..
I do think Washingtons new name sucks!I'm looking at the Browns
and thinking what does that refer to?

RobDaHawk

Reaction score
I think it was the first owner of the team or something. Either way, another dumb name for a team.

OP
OP
Vesuve

Vesuve

Reaction score

I respect your opinion but imo, it's not old guard.

Many native american high school teams use the term Redskins as a name of pride.

I've never seen nor heard of it as a slur.

It's up to those in this demographical group to decide, not those outside of it.