Continuing OLine woes

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":1se5vl7w said:
Some of those hits on Russell seemed late to me and borderline intentional, maybe I'm just being biased idk.

Of course they're intentional, that's how the Rams play, dirty past the whistle.

Williams wasn't the mastermind of Bountygate for nothing, dude wants to kill QB's.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":15s5wf7r said:
NFSeahawks628":15s5wf7r said:
Hawks46":15s5wf7r said:
I'd like to know how the parse QB hits. It's a very dubious stat to me.

I rewatched the LA game. I counted 7 "hits" where Wilson had released the ball, and I counted to 2 (which is also about 2 steps) and he gets drilled. The ball is out cleanly, and the WR probably already has it, unless the ball is doing deep.

This has no effect on the play other than to rattle the QB.

I'd also address the 3 helmet to helmet hits Wilson took that weren't called. Evidently they weren't part of the play and didn't need to be called.

Anyone know how many sacks we had by game 2 of last year ? I'm guessing it's more.

Some of those hits on Russell seemed late to me and borderline intentional, maybe I'm just being biased idk.
With Gregg Williams leading that defense they were without a doubt intentional.
Agree 100%

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Right now this team has a LT that was bad in AZ and appears to be even worse here. Not a surprise. It has a RT that was a TE 2+ years ago and is also not good. It has a LG that is seeing real NFL action for the first time ever. To this point it's had a RG that also was bad at T for another team. That's all the salary cap will allow because of the Harvin and Graham contracts. Shiny weapons are great but if your QB doesn't have time to get the ball to them or worse is injured because he gets no protection from guys in front of him that are converted TEs and castoffs from other teams, shiny weapons are pointless.

I said this yesterday and I'll say it again....as a Hawks fan "since day 1" of the franchise, I waited 35 years for this team to finally have a true franchise QB and I am very concerned that at best his talents are being wasted and at worst he will be injured severely all because of want of decent pass protection. He ain't gettin' any younger and those legs will get just a little bit heavier soon. I sincerely hope that with some cap room next year that this team finally addresses the o-line problem, and it is indeed a problem.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":3n7e5vjl said:
Also can you link your source please. Not disagreeing with anything and I'm assuming it's PFF but I want to see some things.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF_Steve/status/777962299177000960[/tweet]

Would be interested to see if any other team finished bottom four in both categories yesterday. I doubt it. Even the Browns got a really nice run game going.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
$6M last year on Cary Williams (+$2.3M dead money this year), 2 yr/$6M on Webb, $10M/yr on a TE who doesn't run block, $13M/yr + dead money on a gadget WR/headcase, $4.5M on the current WR3.

As a great team, Seattle has had to make some tough decisions regarding their cap. But the notion that there was "no money" anywhere is false. If the team had chosen to prioritize its LT and one other lineman over some of the above, it could have easily done that.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
HawkGA":49osg40y said:
Bobblehead":49osg40y said:
Could Wilson have sustained that type of injury if say he was behind the Dallas Cowboy's offensive line?

Tony Romo does, all the time.

But to be fair, Romo is constructed of glass, papier mache', and balsa wood sticks. :mrgreen:

MVP53

Reaction score
DavidSeven":jxibvhp4 said:
$6M last year on Cary Williams (+$2.3M dead money this year), 2 yr/$6M on Webb, $10M/yr on a TE who doesn't run block, $13M/yr + dead money on a gadget WR/headcase, $4.5M on the current WR3.

As a great team, Seattle has had to make some tough decisions regarding their cap. But the notion that there was "no money" anywhere is false. If the team had chosen to prioritize its LT and one other lineman over some of the above, it could have easily done that.

Good post. Especially painful that they basically doubled down on the Graham mistake.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
The Rams LT (Robinson, was it?) was recently a very high first-round pick, he didn't seem to help Gurley or anyone else much yesterday.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Natethegreat":3nndf451 said:
Read this article and found myself agreeing with much of it. He addresses the O line quite a bit in it.

http://www.hawkblogger.com/2016/09/morn ... e-9-3.html

I've been pounding this drum all day and last night. We're better at pass pro, and worse at run blocking than we were last year. Our run blocking scheme is actually every bit as complicated, if not more so, than our pass protections. It just takes real game reps to get it down.

Wilson had time to drop bombs to Lockett. He would've had another to Richardson, but he missed the throw inside where the coverage was. If he throws that ball 2 feet to the left, Richardson has that ball in FG territory.

The funny thing about an offensive line is that it really only takes one guy getting consistently beat to make your offense look pretty bad. Especially in the interior OL where it's really hard to get help. Webb has been playing poorly, and Glowinski has some growing pains going on. I'd like to see what we're going to look like with Ifedi back. Webb is a good backup at this point, but not good starter material.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
All in all, given the reality that Gilliam was penciled in to be the new LT for the team by the FO and coaching staff and his woeful inability to sieze that job and to play his RT position passably well you might wonder what the FO was thinking this offseason.

So far the Oline has not played well or with any consistency. Wilson is being hit more than any other QB and has been sacked 5 times. The number of hits will become cumulative before long .

McGruff

Reaction score
floridian_seahawk":3jp57lat said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/GoSeahawksNews/status/777971388195876867[/tweet]

Did Michael just fall down at the end of that run?

johnnyfever

Reaction score
McGruff":2lz04gzh said:
floridian_seahawk":2lz04gzh said:

He was tackled by the ghost of Marvin Fischer. (made up Jeff's Dad's name, too lazy to google)

mrt144

Reaction score
iigakusei":38bopeom said:
Multiple people have said Cable is a genius with the OL - so I am very confused.
Psyched for Britt though, must say I am pleasantly surprised.

They perform well after they leave the Seahawks, yes.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
McGruff":hrxxgn36 said:
floridian_seahawk":hrxxgn36 said:

Yes, but if he'd made that cut and taken advantage of ADB's block then ADB might have gotten knocked out with back spams and a hurt knee even earlier. ;)

Just kidding of course. He does cut so hard sometimes that he goes down doing so, 'Turbin' like as some people suggest here; but in this case the soft grass may have contributed, he wasn't the only one who lost footing on plays, another good example was one of FC's launches.

Latest posts