Cortez and the '92 Hawks

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
-- I think your reference to Cortez Kennedy actually argues against your point. In 1990 Seattle had picks 8 and 10. New England had #3. We traded 8 and 10 for #3. We took Tez, and they took LB Chris Singleton and DL Ray Agnew. They were solid NFL starters, but Tez is Hall of Fame and Ring of Honor. Now if New England would have picked Richmond Webb at # 8 and Emmitt Smith at #10, despite Tez's greatness it looks like a great trade, but those were literally the only two players, in the entire first round worth giving up Tez to get. The rest of that first round is a dumpster fire.

-- And you mention 1992, where we were so bad, even with Tez, that in 1993 we picked 2nd. New England was even worse, they picked 1st. Wow, that just gave me a Dan McGuire and Stan Gelbaugh flashback. Tom Catlin with the second best defense Seattle has ever had, but the most putrid offense in the history of football. But I digress.

-- Point being, if we get to #5 and there is no one there that we deem worth it, then yes, move down, but I would never knowingly pass on someone you think will be special, just to get more picks.

Mase
To your last point, I'm not sure if I'd agree if that player was a QB this draft. Otherwise a spot on theory.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
So Twisted Husky isn't fond of the idea of taking a DT in the top 5 ?

Just kidding , and hey I'm not trying to refute anyone's take . I lean towards Seattle trading back for more capital.
It's what they like to do. They have to get this draft right.
They got the last draft right without a bunch of trading back vs years of doing a lot of it. It's a small sample size but I'd like them to do what they did this year to draft so well again.

JGreen79

Reaction score
Jones wasn't a top 5 pick. Not sure of your point BASF.

I am happy to spend a 2nd round pick on DT like the Chiefs did.
But you don't waste top-five picks on a DT.

Can you point to a top 5 pick for a DT that worked out for a team recently?
In the last 8 years?

Quinnen Williams

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Quinnen Williams is a perfect example of why you don't spend a top 5 pick on a DT.

Williams is a stud. I am angry we did not get him back in 2020, because he was available back when we were doing stupid trades with the Jets. He wasn't a wasted pick that didn't pan out, he was everything they hoped.

But the Jets still kinda suck.
Are you sure they might not have preferred Josh Allen?
But you know, 'they already had a QB in Darnold'. How did that work out for them?

Top 5 DTs rarely, if ever, pay off vs the alternatives. Sure maybe a QB won't pan out and then it is a wasted pick. But if the QB does pan out, you are set for a decade.

Not the case when the DT not only pans out, but is stellar. It just means the team sells more jerseys with that # on it while losing. Maybe a little less, but not enough to matter.