Could Arizona Lose Super Bowl XLIX?

sc85sis

Reaction score
Don't get me started on Soldier Field. Ugh.

As to the subject on hand, the law is stupid and discriminatory. If it does go into effect, the Super Bowl should be moved.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1jvohb8q said:
KiwiHawk":1jvohb8q said:
I think they should move the Super Bowl, as they did when AZ refused to recognise Martin Luther King Day.

I'll steer briefly into politics just so people understand the implications:
The bill allows the government or business owners to refuse entry or service to people on the basis of religious beliefs. While intended to protect businesses from having to offer services for gay marriages, the bill could also be used by protestants to discriminate against Catholics, which over 90% of Mexicans are. Or to refuse service to people of middle-eastern decent unless they can prove they are Christian. Or Jewish people. Depending on how far you want to stretch the term "religion", a KKK member would be free to practice open discrimination.

It's seriously backward stuff.

The Super Bowl a big game, but it also includes an entire entourage of people of all races, religions, and sexual orientations. It needs to operate in a free environment.

Excuse me....someone from another country telling an American state how to run their business? Seems out of line to me.

The gentleman from New Zealand was only peddling common sense... something that Arizona has lacked for a while now.

OP
OP
R

randomation

Reaction score
Actually I think the horseshoe wins the toilet bowl award for now

OhioStateOhioStadium.jpeg

CANHawk

Reaction score
Lol. Apparently you have to be American to point out the fact that Arizona is full of narrow minded bigots.

31121.png

But really, upon further consideration, I think that U of P stadium actually kinda looks more like a high tech porta potty than a full fledged toilet.

JMR

Reaction score
Not a fan of politics spilling into sports, but inevitable to some degree I guess.

I am not read in to the whole issue....but private business owners having the right to serve or not to serve anyone they want for any reason they want seems fine to me.

Brithawk

Reaction score
JMR":8uwb0o22 said:
Not a fan of politics spilling into sports, but inevitable to some degree I guess.

I am not read in to the whole issue....but private business owners having the right to serve or not to serve anyone they want for any reason they want seems fine to me.
Why? That's possibly the worst thing I've ever heard.
Do you want to serve people and go make them sit at the back of the bus too

JMR

Reaction score
Brithawk":230rzn0x said:
JMR":230rzn0x said:

Why? That's possibly the worst thing I've ever heard.
Do you want to serve people and go make them sit at the back of the bus too

Well no, I am in favor of less rules, not more. I guess we really shouldn't allow private businesses to exist then?

mjwhitay

Reaction score
We don't need to have 'less' rules in this case. Nothing is wrong with the existing system. I live in Arizona. To think that in 2014, I may be refused service at a local establishment because I'm with a black friend, or a Muslim friend, or because I'm dating an Asian woman, is unbelievably backwards and just clearly has zero place in today's world. It a monumental step backward and it should have people considering moving the nation's marquee event to somewhere that's not so backwoods. It's embarrassing actually.

JMR

Reaction score
mjwhitay":3klujlqn said:
We don't need to have 'less' rules in this case. Nothing is wrong with the existing system. I live in Arizona. To think that in 2014, I may be refused service at a local establishment because I'm with a black friend, or a Muslim friend, or because I'm dating an Asian woman, is unbelievably backwards and just clearly has zero place in today's world. It a monumental step backward and it should have people considering moving the nation's marquee event to somewhere that's not so backwoods. It's embarrassing actually.

I'm not from Arizona....so what's the existing system? For as far back as I can remember, businesses typically had "right to refuse service" signs posted visibly. No one had an issue. It would be business suicide to open a deli and not make a sandwich for a black person or a catholic priest just because of that, but I think it should be legal to make that choice....then live with the consequences. Those owners wouldn't be around long. If running a Jewish bakery, then I sure hope I'm not required by law to serve a neo-nazi.

I sure hope the NFL thinks better of choosing SB cities based on state politics.

mjwhitay

Reaction score
It IS legal to make that choice. Why do we need a new law in place stating it? If you can't see how backwards this is in 2014, you're looney tunes or a Republican, not sure which.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
ivotuk":2e5usfcb said:
I read Arizona Superb Bowel Movement. Anyone seen my fiber?

lol

kept seeing the same thing every time I viewed the main forum.

Wartooth

Reaction score
The NFL will champion the Lefts opinion, and agenda, yet refused to air a pro gun, second amendment commercial during the Super Bowl.
It’s politics plain and simple, and it’s wrong.
If you ‘Built’ it, you own it…
You have the right to refuse doing business with who ever you choose.
That’s what ‘Liberty’ is people, or have you forgotten?
Long may she wave.

pmedic920

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2qjyrzkp said:
Way past time for this thread to be in the PWR Forum in my opinion. Won't be clicking on it again.

Yes should be moved. To the NFL area, at the very least.
It's a fair and reasonable question to ask but also impossible to talk about without bringing up the politics involved. So PWR is probably the best.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Wartooth":3dklp0ld said:
You have the right to refuse doing business with who ever you choose.

You know that's not true... right? I mean, just in the basic essence of the laws of equal protection.

If you were a Muslim book store owner and you didn't want Christians to come in the door you can't say 'no Christians'.

ivotuk

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":34n9vpze said:
I think they should move the Super Bowl, as they did when AZ refused to recognise Martin Luther King Day.

I'll steer briefly into politics just so people understand the implications:
The bill allows the government or business owners to refuse entry or service to people on the basis of religious beliefs. While intended to protect businesses from having to offer services for gay marriages, the bill could also be used by protestants to discriminate against Catholics, which over 90% of Mexicans are. Or to refuse service to people of middle-eastern decent unless they can prove they are Christian. Or Jewish people. Depending on how far you want to stretch the term "religion", a KKK member would be free to practice open discrimination.

It's seriously backward stuff.

The Super Bowl a big game, but it also includes an entire entourage of people of all races, religions, and sexual orientations. It needs to operate in a free environment.

Please don't hijack the thread, if you want to talk politics, there is a forum for that and you can start a thread on the topic there. The OP specifically wanted to stay away from the politics of it. Thank you :D