Cowboys to sign Greg Hardy (Seahawks out)

Laloosh

Reaction score
Not even slightly interested in rooting for the guy. Hope they avoid him completely.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
If he can help us win Super Bowls, sign him up. I'd prefer the team was made up of all good guys, but i know in reality that's not the case.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I'm all for giving most people a second chance, but that's conditional on how that person takes ownership of their transgressions. From what I've seen, Hardy doesn't give a crap and I cannot see Pete and John taking this kind of attitude into the family. Hardy is a baller, but he's also a horrible human being that I think will be rejected by the fanbase.

Pass.

titan3131

Reaction score
Im torn on this.
I say that if he isnt suspended have him on a 1 year with a longer option that we can pick up if he performs and stays inline.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Devils advocate here... Weren't the charges dropped? And wasn't it because the accuser didn't bother showing up in court, and may have embellished the story?

There is a Panther fan that comes on here that was pushing this in the NFL forum a couple months ago. (CRCats or something). He may be able to offer up more

Chawks1

Reaction score
MysterMatt":22vnky9u said:
I'm all for giving most people a second chance, but that's conditional on how that person takes ownership of their transgressions. From what I've seen, Hardy doesn't give a crap and I cannot see Pete and John taking this kind of attitude into the family. Hardy is a baller, but he's also a horrible human being that I think will be rejected by the fanbase.

Pass.

I agree..... Pass. We made it to 2 Super Bowls without someone like this. No need to reward a guy with this lack of character.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
original poster":3n7bwgf6 said:
I don't want anything to do with the guy personally.

I don't want anything to do with him personally either, luckily his punishing QB's has nothing to do with anything personal.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1c0wvnlo said:
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11513357

Watch that link and tell me if you still want him. This guy is 100x worst than Ray Rice/Adrian Peterson/Aldon Smith/etc.
I've watched it, and yes I still want him. His "girlfriend" is a shameless and notorious groupie who made a number of baseless claims against Hardy. If Hardy had done the all the things that she alleged, and she legitimately thought that he was going to "kill (her)," she surely would have prosecuted him to the fullest extent of the law (as her attorney also alluded to in that clip). Instead, when Hardy requested a jury trial, she chose not to pursue it and gladly took a nice fat check instead....which tells you all you need to know about her credibility and motives. Hardy has already paid a huge price, both legally and in the court of public opinion, now it's time to move on and get back to football. Bringing him in on a short term (even 1-year) deal where he's motivated to rehab both his football value and public image makes a ton of sense for both sides, and if he screws up again, you just cut him.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
JSeahawks":pnlr203p said:
If he can help us win Super Bowls, sign him up. I'd prefer the team was made up of all good guys, but i know in reality that's not the case.
This is the truth. Some teams may be in a better position to help someone, too.

Yes, DV is a serious problem. But, the law and the league (employer) will have their say about it and if the guy has an opportunity to reform and move forward, it would probably be best with a team that has an environment that would be supportive of seeing him turn it around in his life as well - not just on the field. I can't think of a better coach for that than PC. I know it apparently didn't do PH much, if any, good. Still, a coach like PC is going to be someone who can forgive and root for a guy without dismissing what has happened.

Hardy is not all that different from anybody. He acted out in an inappropriate way. Can any of us say we have not done that to some degree? (I'm not saying DV, but I'm sure all of us have done things we're not proud of. Only, Hardy's life is made public.)

I don't know Hardy. I'm trying to be serious here (so no offense intended SF fans), but I just don't think SF would have been the ideal place for him at this time with so much change going on and some other similar issues going on with players there already. Just not enough of a stable environment (and as much as I hate the 49ers, of course I want to see that part of it turned around.) But, there may be some organizations that may be a better place to try to restore personal credibility after the consequences for what he has (edited: "allegedly") done. Dallas might not be a bad place either.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":2kwnwxbc said:
Hawk-Lock":2kwnwxbc said:

Watch that link and tell me if you still want him. This guy is 100x worst than Ray Rice/Adrian Peterson/Aldon Smith/etc.
I've watched it, and yes I still want him. His "girlfriend" is a shameless and notorious groupie who made a number of baseless claims against Hardy. If Hardy had done the all the things that she alleged, and she legitimately thought that he was going to "kill (her)," she surely would have prosecuted him to the fullest extent of the law (as her attorney also alluded to in that clip). Instead, when Hardy requested a jury trial, she chose not to pursue it and gladly took a nice fat check instead. Hardy has already paid a huge price, both legally and in the court of public opinion, now it's time to move on and get back to football. Bringing him in on a short term deal where he's motivated to rehab both his football value and public image makes a ton of sense, and if he screws up again, you just cut him.

I think this is what that Panther fan was getting at.

But you know... ESPN and whatnot.

Hyak

Reaction score
I trust this organization to make an intelligent decision on whether to pursue him or not.

That ESPN story certainly puts him in a bad light. To my knowledge, this is the only incident he's had.

DV is a serious matter but guys we like and root for have also had trouble in this area - Warren Moon for one. Kevin Williams, Tony McDaniel, Leroy Hill as well.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/the- ... l-players/

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/arrests/all/sea/all/

Taking moral high ground with athletes are fine until one of your favorites gets in trouble.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":1mqto2rn said:
Hawk-Lock":1mqto2rn said:

I've watched it, and yes I still want him. His "girlfriend" is a shameless and notorious groupie who made a number of baseless claims against Hardy. If Hardy had done the all the things that she alleged, and she legitimately thought that he was going to "kill (her)," she surely would have prosecuted him to the fullest extent of the law (as her attorney also alluded to in that clip). Instead, when Hardy requested a jury trial, she chose not to pursue it and gladly took a nice fat check instead....which tells you all you need to know about her credibility and motives. Hardy has already paid a huge price, both legally and in the court of public opinion, now it's time to move on and get back to football. Bringing him in on a short term (even 1-year) deal where he's motivated to rehab both his football value and public image makes a ton of sense for both sides, and if he screws up again, you just cut him.

I don't know much about the case, so I'm not going to act and claim like I do. But when I read that she didn't show up for the court case, does that have anything to do that she is scared of him, or is back together with him? Is this in any sense similar to how Ray Rice's wife got back together with him after the elevator scene and tried to make light of the incident.

Regardless of how crazy this girl actually is, the things he was accused of is so gross I can't get over it. If he did in fact drag her by her hair from room to room, and threaten to kill her, then he is a sick individual. I'm all for second chances, but not on our team.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
For the record, I don't want the Hawks to sign him. I think he's a scumbag. I don't want to root for him to succeed. But if they feel he checks out and can work for them, then I hope they can get him on a cheap deal like Bennett.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3pvd34ls said:
NorthDallas40oz":3pvd34ls said:
Hawk-Lock":3pvd34ls said:

I've watched it, and yes I still want him. His "girlfriend" is a shameless and notorious groupie who made a number of baseless claims against Hardy. If Hardy had done the all the things that she alleged, and she legitimately thought that he was going to "kill (her)," she surely would have prosecuted him to the fullest extent of the law (as her attorney also alluded to in that clip). Instead, when Hardy requested a jury trial, she chose not to pursue it and gladly took a nice fat check instead. Hardy has already paid a huge price, both legally and in the court of public opinion, now it's time to move on and get back to football. Bringing him in on a short term deal where he's motivated to rehab both his football value and public image makes a ton of sense, and if he screws up again, you just cut him.

I think this is what that Panther fan was getting at.

But you know... ESPN and whatnot.

A judge convicted him. A jury did not. O.J. was let off by a jury too... I wouldn't touch this guy with a ten foot pole.

Hyak

Reaction score
IIRC, she did not show up for the case and was uncooperative with attempts by the DA to get a hold of her. One can see her on social media travelling around the world in jet set style - Aspen, the Riveria, etc.

She is not back together with Hardy. It was speculated that she was paid off but that could be mere assumptions from people.

Hyak

Reaction score
Laloosh":zxmzjdtd said:
A judge convicted him. A jury did not. O.J. was let off by a jury too... I wouldn't touch this guy with a ten foot pole.

The law in Carolina is odd. A judge can issue a ruling and on appeal you can proceed to a jury trial. Hardy did appeal and the case was dismissed by the DA at that point because the alleged victim did not show up and was unable to be contacted. On one hand, you can see filtering out unnecessary cases but what if you get a judge with poor decision making skills or a perceived bias?

Some fun tidbits from the judge trial

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... onviction/

Of note, the victim did cocaine that night and had an injured toenail. The injuries don't seem consistent with a 275 lb man beating her up and throwing her around.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I just don't care.

If the team is better for having him on it, then I am fine with bringing him on.

The only issue would be if it disrupted locker room chemistry, so the deciding voice should be that of the other players.

I don't have a problem with picking him up, even if he starts the first six games suspended. The time you need players is around the playoffs anyway and having one of the best defensive players in the league is a huge plus there. And the down time might mean some time required to get back to football shape, but the upside is going to be fresh legs going into the playoffs - that would be a huge win.

If the Hawks can get Hardy, they should. If nothing else, it keeps him off the roster of a team they might have to fight past to get farther.