Cowboys to sign Greg Hardy (Seahawks out)

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Was posted in the Bennett thread, but the report would also fitting here.

XxXdragonXxX":3o3i2e0o said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/577965553085767681[/tweet]

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Hey Ctrcat, serious question. What do people in Carolina honestly think about Cam Newton? Do they believe in him still, or is it 50/50? Just curious. thx

ctrcat

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":fplu5pa3 said:
Hey Ctrcat, serious question. What do people in Carolina honestly think about Cam Newton? Do they believe in him still, or is it 50/50? Just curious. thx

The team certainly believes in him. I recently spoke to TE Ed Dickson who is from Inglewood, CA, went to Oregon, and won a title in Baltimore, and he said Cam is the toughest player he's ever played with and his playing through the multitude of injuries and setbacks last year was impressive for anyone with a clue. Dickson even said Cam is the reason he wanted to stay in Carolina so bad.

Fans are fickle, and I don't really have a clue how to answer in definite terms how many believe in him or not. He still has some fan doubters, but they're far less than 50%, IMO. Most support him IMHO.

cacksman

Reaction score
ctrcat":2f2oeow3 said:
cacksman":2f2oeow3 said:
ctrcat":2f2oeow3 said:
cacksman":2f2oeow3 said:
If not for the Ray Rice video, Hardy isn't even on the market

Not true. It may not be popular with Panther fans, but the decision to let him move on was made long ago and Exhibit A was drafting Kony Ealy. The tag was placed as a one year rental and they were never signing Hardy beyond 2014. Not afraid of doing the unpopular by cutting the best player in franchise history practically in coldhearted fashion, GM Dave Gettleman appears hell-bent on trimming every ounce of fat from the previous GM, drafting well, and having money for Newton/Kuechly and others in the future. While Hardy's wild side (which he's always had) likely didn't help the cause, it has more to do with GM Dave Gettleman's belief he can get better value/risk/reward elsewhere (as opposed to the previous GM giving DE Charles Johnson 6 years, $76 million in 2011). His drafts have been homeruns but only time will if he's right about everything else. Again, Panther fans hate to see him go but the decision was made long before the incident.

I don't believe this one bit. Do you have anything to back this up besides drafting a pass rusher early, which you can never have enough of?

Having money for Kuechly and Newton is no excuse, Seattle has Wagner, Wilson(who should combine for about as much $$ as Cam and Luke).... and they also have Sherman, Thomas, Chancellor, Lynch, Bennett, Avril, shall I go on and on? All of whom are on their 2nd contracts, and are no longer playing for peanuts on their rookie/bargain free agent contracts.

You don't "move on" from one of the best defensive ends in the prime of his career unless you're the Lions and allow Suh's franchise # to balloon to $27M without a choice. That does not happen.

Most wouldn't move on from the best player in franchise history with no returning starters at WR either, but he did.

While Ealy is Exhibit A and Charles Johnson's $20 million cap hit in 2015 (think about that) would arguably be Exhibit B, the answer is complicated and has many layers. The best place to start would be this article written by Bill Barnwell at Grantland in 2012 if you're really interested in the nitty-gritty. http://grantland.com/features/the-roste ... tent-best/ In other words, after the Hawks had their third consecutive amazing draft laying the foundation in 2012, the Panthers had just been forced to endure moving up in the draft for the likes of Everette Brown, Jimmy Clausen, and Armanti Edwards in recent years.

In other words, the mess inherited by Dave Gettleman in 2013 simply can't be put into words. Hardy himself was a mess, and his off the field issues were the only reason he lasted until the 6th round in 2010 coming out of Ole Miss. His escapades in local hotels and strip clubs in Charlotte spread through those in the know. While maybe not criminal, it may make some question giving a long term deal to him. Incidents like these even made news http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... out-speed/

His history of being a crazy man and Dave Gettleman's complete obsession (rightfully so perhaps?) to rid himself of the previous regime's fingerprints, as well as Hardy/Rosenhaus wanting what was in their best interest had Gettleman looking elsewhere long ago. It was the worst kept secret in the building, and the fact he wasn't signed long term before and was instead given the tag should be the next clue. Doesn't mean he's right, but it was his decision.

The top five salary cap hits in 2015 for each team may surprise you. Johnson $20 mil, Newton 14.6, Kalil 11.7, Davis 9.9, Stewart 8.3. Vs Sherman 12.2, Lynch 8.5, Graham 8.5, Bennett 8, Avril 8. The Hawks have simply done a masterful job in recent years and it's why you guys have been successful and the rest of the league has had to play catch up.

Believe what you wish, but it appears the plan is to have an estimated $70 million next year to not only prepare for Newton and Kuechly, but to perhaps splurge on others inside or outside of the organization. While it was under the radar, Olsen was already signed to a 3 year extension for $22, but the team also thinks very highly of Lotulelei, Short, Benjamin, Ealy, Benwikere, Turner, et al in the future. Many if not most wish Hardy was a part of the plans, but the GM has the final say, and so far he's done a great job steering the ship back to course, winning a couple division titles, and still looking way into the future.

Touche! I was all ready to jump on you for comparing an aging and declining Steve Smith to one of the best defensive ends in the league in his prime, the rest of the post was spot on.

I'm actually in shock about how high some of those dead money hits would be for Johnson, Davis, and Stewart (the only ones I even looked at). I'm still not entirely convinced they wouldn't have done something to keep Hardy, had he went on to duplicate his numbers in 2014, but I honestly didn't think Carolina's FO had made similar mistakes as DET in recent years.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":3sk3pkad said:
Man you're putting a lot of words in my mouth.

All I'm saying is that in domestic violence cases, women are generally more likely to side with the woman while men are more likely to side with the man. These types of biases are the reason we have the right to a jury trial in this country. And fact of the matter is that the (male) prosecutor for the jury trial raised concerns about the "victims" testimony because it was inconsistent. That is why he didn't move to enter her testimony from the bench trial into evidence. That lack of testimony is the reason the charges were dropped.

All this trash about me implying women are irrational is ridiculous. And don't sit there and say you aren't accusing me of anything after you straight up called me sexist.

This is my final post on the matter.
I appreciate the level-headed dialogue. I want to point out that I tried to explain my issue was with the language of the statement. If I came across as attacking your character, that was not my intent and I apologize.

olyfan63

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":3orl2wcg said:
Largent80":3orl2wcg said:
I agree with Titan31. I have seen so much in all of my years. Have you ever been accused of something you didn't do?
If I were accused of something I didn't do I would not pay the alleged victim to avoid a trial. A fair hearing would exonerate me and I'd sue the alleged victim for court costs, damages (lost wages, or potential wages), defamation, harassment, etc.

Sorry, but if you really believe you'd have a shot at "a fair hearing" and "recovering court costs" for a female false accuser, you are living in an alternate reality.

What did the falsely accused Duke Lacrosse young men ever receive from their false accuser? Zippo, zilch, nada. And what criminal charges did this false accuser face for the false accusations? Same answer.

You might want to read the article I posted a link to earlier in the thread about how it took 5 false allegations of rape by a woman to finally wind up getting a 2-year jail sentence.

And this Nicole Holder chick is a waitress, not likely to have any coin to pay anyone a cent, other than whatever payoff she may have gotten from Hardy to help her decide to just go away. Truth is, we don't know IF Hardy paid her, and if yes, how much.

Your concept of this scenario, the concept you are arguing from, is simply out of touch with the ugly reality of the situation.

Am I claiming Hardy is a saint? No, it's entirely possible when the coked up chick freaked out and started hitting him and screaming at him and breaking things, that Hardy may have momentarily done something dumb, out of self-defense. As others have pointed out, the only thing a smart guy does is get the hell away from the psychobitch, get witnesses, take video of her going psycho, etc.

Oh yes, and the problem YOU would have if it were YOU in "a fair trial" is that you seem to be one of those Boy Scouts that put all women on a pedestal and would be easy for a clever Borderline sociopath to fool. I submit that if you were falsely accused by one of these monsters, you wouldn't want your clone on the jury. Some people just cannot wrap their head around the fact there are some extremely evil women (men have no monopoly on this), who can present a normal, sympathy-invoking persona to fool the public while turning the screws to the male victim of their false allegations.

Hyak

Reaction score
Rosenhaus reports that Hardy will sign today with either Dallas or TB. The Seahawks are out of the running, if you assume they ever were in it.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
JTB":13pdus92 said:
Rosenhaus reports that Hardy will sign today with either Dallas or TB. The Seahawks are out of the running, if you assume they ever were in it.

And I think this makes it all the more likely that Clarence Hill's "multiple sources" were actually Drew Rosenhaus and Drew's assistant, trying to bump his client's deal higher.

"Oh, Dallas thinks they can get Hardy on a one-year, $4 million prove it deal? Time to create the impression that a SB contender not only has interest, but a need. Billy, get that Dallas beat writer on the line."

Hyak

Reaction score
Rosenhaus is going to use any kind of leverage to get his client as much money as he can. They all do and use the media and teams to do this.

I do think Seattle was interested in Hardy but at a bargain, 1 year prove it deal. Exaggerating Seattle's interest to get Dallas or TB to pay more - it's what good agents do.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Sounds like Seahawks are out.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Rand_Getlin/status/578204814703644675[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/578175774915706880[/tweet]

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
TheWalrus":ade7qr4q said:
Hawk-Lock":ade7qr4q said:
twisted_steel2":ade7qr4q said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JasonPuckett20/status/577916797275406338[/tweet]

This tweet almost seems more ridiculous than the Michael Bennett tweet. Pretty strong thing to say we will match ANY offer from the Cowboys.

Does that sound like the Seahawks? The Hardy stuff and the Bennett stuff is coming from the agent.
Except that's not what Hill said. He said the Hawks would try and match Dallas, not that they would. He basically said the Hawks have their limit, but they would try and match Dallas' offer within reason.

FargoHawk

Reaction score
JTB":2n3stsmc said:
Rosenhaus is going to use any kind of leverage to get his client as much money as he can. They all do and use the media and teams to do this.

I do think Seattle was interested in Hardy but at a bargain, 1 year prove it deal. Exaggerating Seattle's interest to get Dallas or TB to pay more - it's what good agents do.

Yep, it certainly is and media knows this. So it is also important for media to know when they are being used and told a line of BS which in this case it seems Mr Hill was too eager to break a story.........FAIL!

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2we2mnwf said:

Well it looks like Clarence Hill is wrong at least on one of his rumors that the Hawks would match any offers DAL puts on the table.

MVP53

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":2oc0ffrj said:
HawkFan72":2oc0ffrj said:

Well it looks like Clarence Hill is wrong at least on one of his rumors that the Hawks would match any offers DAL puts on the table.

He said Seattle would TRY to match any offers. Obviously, Seattle would have a limit they could offer. Perhaps Dallas exceeded that, thus Seattle is out of the discussion.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Just wanted say what a great job most everyone is doing in keeping the conversation level-headed. This is what we like to see. Discussion without accusation.

Carry on :snack:

edogg23

Reaction score
I hope the Hawks find a way to get him here. I can't even imagine how nasty our D-Line will be this year with him on it.