COWGIRLS CAN WHINE ALL THEY WANT

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
DTexHawk":27vjzt80 said:
Seahawk Sailor":27vjzt80 said:
Wait, is this the catch we're talking about here?

B7G4gcBIYAASJ7w

I would say there was a catch, 2 steps, and a stretch for the end zone, with the right elbow and forearm down on the ground which ended the play while he had control of the ball. This was where the ref marked him as being down by contact.

After being down by contact, he rolled, bobbled the ball and then you have your picture.
Are not you a closet cowboys fan?????
The replay ref surprisingly got the call right. Now the rule itself is stupid and needs to be changed or at least tweeked but it was called to the letter of the rule, like it or not. 2 steps or 80 doesn't matter if you don't control the ball, see the ball bouncing off the ground,

DTexHawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":ud8pljkv said:
DTexHawk":ud8pljkv said:
Seahawk Sailor":ud8pljkv said:
Wait, is this the catch we're talking about here?

B7G4gcBIYAASJ7w

I would say there was a catch, 2 steps, and a stretch for the end zone, with the right elbow and forearm down on the ground which ended the play while he had control of the ball. This was where the ref marked him as being down by contact.

After being down by contact, he rolled, bobbled the ball and then you have your picture.
The replay ref surprisingly got the call right. Now the rule itself is stupid and needs to be changed or at least tweeked but it was called to the letter of the rule, like it or not. 2 steps or 80 doesn't matter if you don't control the ball, see the ball bouncing off the ground,

The crux of the matter is this: Upon a challenge by Green Bay, the "Calvin Johnson Rule" was applied to a spectacular catch by Bryant with less than five minutes to go. The application overturned the fourth down call and the Packers ran out the clock for a 26-21 win.

However, the Calvin Johnson Rule – so named because of a controversial non-catch by the Lions' playmaker in 2010 – applies to receivers going to the ground in the process of making a catch.

The thing is, Bryant is such a superior athlete that he had already made the catch and transitioned to being a rusher.

What Bryant was doing was different from Johnson, who was falling backwards in the end zone. Bryant was in stride when he leaped to catch the ball, not falling backwards.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bry ... ar-AA83tMY

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I really don't care if Cowboy fans accept it or whine about it. The thing that makes me happy right now is the fact that Michael Irvin and Deon Sanders are getting ulcers over it.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
DTexHawk":1ncvj56u said:
The crux of the matter is this: Upon a challenge by Green Bay, the "Calvin Johnson Rule" was applied to a spectacular catch by Bryant with less than five minutes to go. The application overturned the fourth down call and the Packers ran out the clock for a 26-21 win.

However, the Calvin Johnson Rule – so named because of a controversial non-catch by the Lions' playmaker in 2010 – applies to receivers going to the ground in the process of making a catch.

The thing is, Bryant is such a superior athlete that he had already made the catch and transitioned to being a rusher.

What Bryant was doing was different from Johnson, who was falling backwards in the end zone. Bryant was in stride when he leaped to catch the ball, not falling backwards.

Oh, that's weak. It doesn't matter if he was in stride when he leaped to catch the ball. And it doesn't matter that he's a superior athlete. From the moment he first touched the ball, he was going to the ground -- and if he goes to the ground during a catch, he has to complete the process. He didn't. He had control of the ball, and then lost control when it hit the ground.

I don't know why this is even a conversation. If anyone else caught a ball and fell to the ground, and lost control of the ball when it hit the ground, we wouldn't be talking about it.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
DTexHawk":uqg1guws said:
Sports Hernia":uqg1guws said:

That's what I saw too. You can see when Dez stretches out his hand he has the ball palmed. You can't bobble the ball with one hand. I saw him make the catch, take a step and dive towards the endzone. He clearly bobbled it for a moment, but I thought he made the catch, then made a football move and THEN the ball hit the ground and popped out, which is a fumble caused by the ground, which is a dead ball.

That said, I'll sleep just fine tonight.

Seafan

Reaction score
KatarHol":14dwjmb6 said:
It is amazing how many people do not understand the rule that requires a catch to be completed throughout the fall. Extremely simple rule to understand, and that play was correctly determined to be incomplete. From the moment he touched the ground he was falling, and the ground knocked the ball loose.

7 refs on the field called it a completion. I'm not.

Seafan

Reaction score
Cowgirl tears are great. These are the days that I live for here in Texas.

They got a horrible call in their favor last week and they cry because the officials had already cashed the checks and came back and screwed them.

No fan in the NFL has the right to complain when the crime of the century was SBXL. Not one play but multiple due to an obvious bias or conspiracy and ample incompetence.

There will be no apology here since no crime was committed.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
It clearly isn't a catch by the rules.

The "play common to the game" part of the rule specifically has to happen after the receiver gets control and gets 2 feet down. If you watch the play - Dez gets both feet down with possession but then just continues to fall - which is not a play common to the game.

Moreover, the rule specifically has a note when a player is going to the ground. It clearly states after they gain possession and get two feet in bounds - if they are falling to the ground - rather than making a football move - they must maintain control through the entire catch. Period. Dez should have turned onto his back rather than stretch out.

At the end of the day, I actually like this rule as there is no ambiguity as to what is a catch. In other words, a forward pass is incomplete until the receiver proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is not.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":2xkwvyqw said:

The "play common to the game" part of the rule specifically has to happen after the receiver gets control and gets 2 feet down. If you watch the play - Dez gets both feet down with possession but then just continues to fall - which is not a play common to the game.

Moreover, the rule specifically has a note when a player is going to the ground. It clearly states after they gain possession and get two feet in bounds - if they are falling to the ground - rather than making a football move - they must maintain control through the entire catch. Period. Dez should have turned onto his back rather than stretch out.

At the end of the day, I actually like this rule as there is no ambiguity as to what is a catch. In other words, a forward pass is incomplete until the receiver proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is not.
BINGO on the explanation...... :th2thumbs:

I think the rule can be tweaked a bit though.

hawk45

Reaction score
The rule also benefits offenses as well. Part of the reason for it was that receivers would get hammered by guys like he whose name we shall not speak, and there were a ton of somewhat easy fumbles because the criteria for what constituted a catch were too light.

This has saved countless would-be fumbles by Seahawk opponents crossing the middle, and I would elaborate, but I've already said too much. He can hear when we speak of him.

253hawk

Reaction score
Okay, say Baldwin pulls off one of his comeback sideline toe-tap catches and falls out of bounds...but the ball/hand hits the ground and comes loose in the process. Incomplete, right? Right.

Bryant's play was no different, other than he was in the field of play and not OOB. He was falling to the ground in the process of the catch, then ball hit the ground and came loose. Incomplete. Simple.

I really don't understand the confusion in all of this.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
253hawk":1zu66uhr said:
Okay, say Baldwin pulls off one of his comeback sideline toe-tap catches and falls out of bounds...but the ball/hand hits the ground and comes loose in the process. Incomplete, right? Right.

Bryant's play was no different, other than he was in the field of play and not OOB. He was falling to the ground in the process of the catch, then ball hit the ground and came loose. Incomplete. Simple.

I really don't understand the confusion in all of this.
That's the way I see it. .....but this was Diva Bryant and the Cowsquirts, they expect a separate set of rules for themselves, hell the o-line gets away with more blatant holding than any team I ever seen.

knownone

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":1oy0dxs8 said:

This isn't as black and white as you are making it seem. Dez catches the ball with his hands then pins it in his chest which establishes possession, he has 2 feet in bounds and then makes a "play common to the game" by reaching the ball out of his chest while lunging to the goal line. It doesn't matter that he's falling down because he's already established possession. Therefore even if the ball comes out when he hits the ground it's still a catch.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Seafan":3uecud4k said:
Cowgirl tears are great. These are the days that I live for here in Texas.

They got a horrible call in their favor last week and they cry because the officials had already cashed the checks and came back and screwed them.

No fan in the NFL has the right to complain when the crime of the century was SBXL. Not one play but multiple due to an obvious bias or conspiracy and ample incompetence.

There will be no apology here since no crime was committed.
This, this and oh yeah, THIS!!

Uncle Si

Reaction score
BlueTalon":2jev82zg said:
Seafan":2jev82zg said:
7 refs on the field called it a completion.
To be fair, only one or two actually called it a completion.

yep, and a team of officials who had a chance to watch it over and over and over again did not.

bad rule, but the right interpretation of it.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
knownone":yqzoxeff said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":yqzoxeff said:

This isn't as black and white as you are making it seem. Dez catches the ball with his hands then pins it in his chest which establishes possession, he has 2 feet in bounds and then makes a "play common to the game" by reaching the ball out of his chest while lunging to the goal line. It doesn't matter that he's falling down because he's already established possession. Therefore even if the ball comes out when he hits the ground it's still a catch.
According to many current and former NFL officials Diva didn't complete "a play common to the game". Sorry.

White Devil

Reaction score
knownone":we55dyzq said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":we55dyzq said:

This is the entire basis of the rule and why the correct call was no catch. It absolutely matters that he was falling to the ground. Falling to the ground is what brings the full act of controlling the ball into effect.