Curious, where did the phrase "...is Him" come from?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I've noticed the phrase in the last year or so...Where did it come from?

Now get off my lawn.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I don't hate every new word or phrase that comes around, but "I'm him" is boring, uncreative, not catchy at all, and anyone who uses it is embarrassing themselves and their family.

Most importantly, we already have a phrase for this. "I'm THAT guy". Not only does that roll off the tongue easier, it sounds better and is easier to decipher as to what the meaning is.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I don't hate every new word or phrase that comes around, but "I'm him" is boring, uncreative, not catchy at all, and anyone who uses it is embarrassing themselves and their family.

Most importantly, we already have a phrase for this. "I'm THAT guy". Not only does that roll off the tongue easier, it sounds better and is easier to decipher as to what the meaning is.
Language is defined by usage, and "I'm him" is ubiquitous in the vernacular of several demographics, mostly trending younger.

It's not especially uncreative. Brevity is the soul of wit, and it's an implicitly understood statement by a large swaths of the population, meaning it surely isn't that difficult to decipher.

For a brief, plain statement to take on an entirely separate meaning that is both widely understood and popular used indicates that you're outnumbered on the "rolls off the tongue" point, as well.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
The fact that younger people are using it proves that it's stupid. I know this because I used to use stupid phrases like "aight" and "ya dig" and "who let the dogs out", which nobody uses anymore because everyone eventually realized that these phrases and words that trend with younger people are stupid, hence why nobody uses the words or phrases I just listed, and why "I'm him" will also stop being used in the next 10 years or so.

Last edited:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
The fact that younger people are using it proves that it's stupid. I know this because I used to use stupid phrases like "aight" and "ya dig" and "who let the dogs out", which nobody uses anymore because everyone eventually realized that these phrases and words that trend with younger people are stupid, hence why nobody uses the words or phrases I just listed, and why "I'm him" will also stop being used in the next 10 years or so.
Well, yeah. Colloquialisms are heavily influenced by fads. It doesn't make any of the other criticisms especially apt.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
If a word or phrase is creative, fun, sounds cool, etc, it will stand the test of time. Like when people started using the word "fu*k".

Is there any reasons why you're suddenly using words like "colloquialisms" and "vernacular" in your responses to me? Is this your way of saying "my opinion is better than yours, because hey look at these big words I know. I'm so smart at English!"

I'm just giving ya a hard time, FYI ;)

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Probably more like 2 years or less. I am so not into "trendy" slang. Again, get off my lawn! Haha.

Agreed.

There's a difference between "trendy slang" and "new words/phrases that make sense, have a purpose, and/or are actually good".

For example, around 10 or 15 years ago, gamers started referring to the idea of going out and killing a certain enemy over and over to collect an item or numerous items that said enemy drops as "farming" an item. I thought that was a cool word invention, which also served a purpose. Before that, we just said "I'm gonna go and kill slimes for 3 hours so that I can rack up a bunch of potions", but now we can say "I'm gonna farm potions by killing slimes". Just one example.