Davis to start over Carson?

toffee

Reaction score
I really don’t care who starts!! So long that we can rush over 100 yards per game and our RBs can block in passing downs. I am down with a super star RB, or a committee of mediocre RBs, or an average RB with superb OL.

Just give me some rushing yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sutz

Reaction score
toffee":1whuy4yw said:
I really don’t care who starts!! So long that we can rush over 100 yards per game and our RBs can block in passing downs. I am down with a super star RB, or a committee of mediocre RBs, or an average RB with superb OL.

That's where I'm at. We need to manufacture a running game, especially if we want to run a play action passing game. If opponents don't respect the run, then we're back to Russ running for his life 3 out of 5 plays.

toffee

Reaction score
sutz":357td1o3 said:
toffee":357td1o3 said:

That's where I'm at. We need to manufacture a running game, especially if we want to run a play action passing game. If opponents don't respect the run, then we're back to Russ running for his life 3 out of 5 plays.

We failed miserably and completely last season, let's see how much we can improve this season. As for which RB? Really don't care, not like any of them celebrate their thanksgiving with me. Just give me some d**n rushing yards by RBs not Russ.

adeltaY

Reaction score
toffee":n2p3ev26 said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This, 100%.

crosfam

Reaction score
Let them compete - but I think we are going rookie early in the draft (day one or two).

We will strike gold and get a new starter.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
I look at it this way. I can't judge our RBs based on their production behind a god awful O-line run by a god awful line coach under the scheme of a god awful OC. Alex Collins did pretty well for the Ravens and he was one that they let go. Is he better than what we had? Maybe, maybe not. He was definitely better when he got away from the "god awful"s. So I'm looking forward to seeing the impact of the coaching changes. There is a pretty good chance the whole product is much better. That will also impact the "gee, we lost a 10 TD TE" solution.

Fade

Reaction score
Carson is coming off a major injury, and is not an established veteran, this is just SOP.

Especially after the Rawls situation where he was rushed back too early imo, the Seahawks are doing the right thing. Carson has to show he is back before they anoint him as the starter. It may all be moot anyway depending on who they can acquire in the upcoming draft.

That being said I was very impressed with Carson given the line in front of him and what he was doing. He has size, speed, and agility, but we have to see what he looks like now after the broken ankle.

Davis is a guy that has been around, and from a competition angle this makes the most sense to get the most out of these players effort wise going into the pre-season.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Here's the actual quote instead of somebody's rephrased twitter take that everybody is reading too much into.

Pete Carroll":wr1caj7d said:
You can say (Carson is the starter) because of where he was when he got hurt, but Mike Davis did a really nice job for us last year. Mike finished and sustained throughout the season, unlike some guys in the last couple of years, and he showed us consistency and toughness and production. I think Mike really comes back getting the ball first, and the competition is on. That’s the first handoff, then after that it’s dead even.

This is clearly about Pete talking up Davis as part of the competition, and emphasizing that there is going to be a competition instead of them simply handing Carson the starting role on a silver platter. The honest takeaway here is "Pete says there will be a competition for the starting running back role."

Ozzy

Reaction score
I really think Prosise is far and away the most talented of the group and will work his way into the biggest workload once they trust he can handle it. Schott when watching tape is the most exofted about CJ i would gaurantee it.

Danny Darko

Reaction score
Cyrus12":35w0wtna said:
We need to draft a rb in the high round plain and simple...as in round 1 since we wasted our 2nd and 3rd rd picks already.

Even if Mike McGlinchey is there at RT with LT after Brown potential?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2mqo5pw3 said:
#2 We are drafting one or two RBs and so neither Davis or Carson will be our starter.

The crazy part is they've drafted seven RBs in the past five years. In terms of draft capital that's picks in rounds 2, 3, 5, 5, 7, 7, 7.

It's not nearlyas bad as the capital they've burned at the WR position since they let Tate leave (which is a straight up disaster), but if you factor in the capital they've spent at the position (and that some of these guys have gone on to be useful pieces on other teams -- Spencer Ware and Alex Collins) I think the takeaway is that their problems in the run game probably aren't going to be answered by drafting even more RBs.

12forlife

Reaction score
Popeyejones":t3yfjyjb said:
ImTheScientist":t3yfjyjb said:
#2 We are drafting one or two RBs and so neither Davis or Carson will be our starter.

The crazy part is they've drafted seven RBs in the past five years. In terms of draft capital that's picks in rounds 2, 3, 5, 5, 7, 7, 7.

It's not nearlyas bad as the capital they've burned at the WR position since they let Tate leave (which is a straight up disaster), but if you factor in the capital they've spent at the position (and that some of these guys have gone on to be useful pieces on other teams -- Spencer Ware and Alex Collins) I think the takeaway is that their problems in the run game probably aren't going to be answered by drafting even more RBs.

None of those previous draft picks were even on the same level of back we're talking about here. I see Chubb having the best overall NFL game, but Michell, Johnson & Penny are all special talents.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1f08h2kr said:
ImTheScientist":1f08h2kr said:

I disagree. Not sure I would bother with the 5th & 7th round picks. How many starting running backs in the NFL have been 5th/7th round picks?

If you look at the 10 ten RBs in yards last year...
5 were 1st round picks
2 were 2nd round picks
1 3rd
1 5th
1 UFA

Tells you if you want a stud you need to draft a stud and not hope you get lucky with a later round pick. The three best RBs in Seahawks history were all 1st round guys. This is the best RB draft in a long time. Draft a RB in the 1st and be done with it. You can then invest elsewhere and have a great RB for 6-8 years.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Carson wil start the season and Davis will either be 2nd or 3rd string by then. We'll draft a back and it could be a back talented enough to challenge Carson by mid season.

That would be ideal. I like Davis quite a bit, but he should not be your primary back.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
austinslater25":103azk9z said:
I really think Prosise is far and away the most talented of the group and will work his way into the biggest workload once they trust he can handle it. Schott when watching tape is the most exofted about CJ i would gaurantee it.

Procise is a 3rd down back, a good receiving option, but he is fragile and he will never ever be an every down running back.

Chris Carson never got a chance to fully show what he could do. I am hoping he has fully recovered from his injury and this was just an unfortunate blip. I think Carson has heaps of potential. But yeah, Carson-Davis as our 1-2 punch makes me nervous and Procise is not the answer here.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
As much as I loved Carson last year, I need to see Pete and John go after a high round RB.

Obviously this would entail either trading Earl for a high round pick, or trading down in the first to score a 2nd or 3rd.

Bottom line, this revolving door of RB by committee because no one can stay healthy and/or be productive enough to take the role and be the workhorse we need him to be.........................has to stop.

You wanna be a ball control punishing nasty pound the rock type of team on offense? Then you find a punishing nasty pound the rock running back.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I am of the opinion that the buck stops with the O-Line on this one. I am perfectly fine with Rawls, Carson, or Davis being the primary back. As long as we can get some proper blocking and the initial contact isn't 2 yards in the backfield, Jose Conseco can run for 3 yards, and at this point, that is all I expect or want to see. Once that is accomplished, then I get concerned about focusing on finding a young, talented RB of the future.

Honestly, if we drafted a Ronald Jones or Nick Chubb, I would be pounding the table for them not to even sniff the active day roster until our O-Line is average/functional.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Full quote so you can actually read this right.

“You can say (Carson is the starter) because of where he was when he got hurt, but Mike Davis did a really nice job for us last year,” Carroll said. “Mike finished and sustained throughout the season, unlike some guys in the last couple of years, and he showed us consistency and toughness and production. I think Mike really comes back getting the ball first, and the competition is on. That’s the first handoff, then after that it’s dead even.”

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
bbsplitter":zztcgnk0 said:
I am of the opinion that the buck stops with the O-Line on this one. I am perfectly fine with Rawls, Carson, or Davis being the primary back. As long as we can get some proper blocking and the initial contact isn't 2 yards in the backfield, Jose Conseco can run for 3 yards, and at this point, that is all I expect or want to see. Once that is accomplished, then I get concerned about focusing on finding a young, talented RB of the future.

Honestly, if we drafted a Ronald Jones or Nick Chubb, I would be pounding the table for them not to even sniff the active day roster until our O-Line is average/functional.

Rawls is gone.

Since Davis just signed his one year tender at 1.2M, he's got every bit of a chance of competing for the starting job with Carson and whoever we draft.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":4lm91pzr said:
bbsplitter":4lm91pzr said:

Rawls is gone.

Since Davis just signed his one year tender at 1.2M, he's got every bit of a chance of competing for the starting job with Carson and whoever we draft.
I'm thinking it's gotta be a 3 horse race with those two and a draft pick. Potentially a 4 horse race in the event that Prosise stays healthy, but that would seem like a slim chance. McKissic is a real wild card that is limited as a pure RB, but stays healthy and plays fast in a 3rd down role only.

1 draft pick and the competition is on. Hopefully it doesn't come down to attrition again.

Rawls probably takes a vet min in Detroit.