DeAngelo Hall on more flags (Seahawks related)

kearly

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2ph4dbud said:
Technically, he's not wrong. These new rules are likely a reaction to the perceived physical play of the Seahawks secondary. What they failed to realize was that our starting corners still play with better technique than others across the league and know how to play within the rules as they're written.

I find the poetic justice at play now pretty funny.

Opposing fanbases then: "Seahawks are cheating! NFL can't let them be so physical!"

Opposing fanbases now: "NFL is ruining the game with all these flags! What happened to physical football?!"

Nailed it.

chris98251

Reaction score
Jerry Jones stated also that blame teams like the SEAHAWKS for all their flags, is it coincidence that his son is on the competition committee also?

Cartire

Reaction score
chris98251":oy4oem6i said:
Jerry Jones stated also that blame teams like the SEAHAWKS for all their flags, is it coincidence that his son is on the competition committee also?

Whats funnier is the head of officiating also palling around with his son during the summer. Conflict of interest? hmmmmmm

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Cartire":2aq77eqb said:
Sports Hernia":2aq77eqb said:
seahawk12thman":2aq77eqb said:
Keep in mind that the rules committee is responsible for these wonderful new changes. This has nothing to do with Goddell. Coaches and owners got together to cry about the Seahawks.
Keep spinning that yarn....... So you are saying the egotistical CEO of the NFL is a "powerless figurehead"??? :34853_doh:
I know that's the popular stance amongst Rog's fanboys, but going back to Pete Rozelle the NFL commish's have had significant power.

Actually, yea, he is a figure head. He works for the owners, not above them. He is their spokesperson. He is also completely limited in the amount of power he has when it comes to rules.

Its ok to learn and not just hate someone because its the cool thing to do.

EDIT: I will add that I dont care at all about Roger or any commish for that matter. But its hilarious, because you are so gullible, and you arent the only one. He is there to take the directed hate, and you fall into the trap so perfectly.
Yeah about that...... I was hating Rog before it was the cool thing to do. I find you last paragraph a little hard to believe, but so be it.

Cartire

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1ato2dj2 said:
Cartire":1ato2dj2 said:
EDIT: I will add that I dont care at all about Roger or any commish for that matter. But its hilarious, because you are so gullible, and you arent the only one. He is there to take the directed hate, and you fall into the trap so perfectly.
Yeah about that...... I was hating Rog before it was the cool thing to do. I find you last paragraph a little hard to believe, but so be it.

32 owners are glad you dont believe it either.

Greenhell

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":1crrujny said:
Can't we just win a damn championship without somebody saying we did it on some technicality or by cheating?

Crymany!

Won't be long before they come up with the "Russell Wilson" rule:
QB's can view no more than 15 hours of video tape between games, can only rewind a given play a maximum of five times, and cannot study opponents scouting reports between the hours of midnight and 5:00am...

Crybabies.

I see a foreshadowing. UGH! :pukeface:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
pmedic920":1cob1ki8 said:
He sounds like he's been talking to cinnamonGirl.
:)
Guess we just need to RePete with the new rules in place, be curious to see what the change then.
Are you certain that he and cinnamon girl aren't one and the same? :mrgreen:

huskylawyer

Reaction score
I'm convinced that the main reason for these over-the-top rules changes to (a) increase passing, (b) minimize rolling out of the QB ("QB is a runner when out of the pocket" rules) and (c) make it more difficult for defenses to defend the pass, is Goodell is petrified where the state of the QB position is headed, and he's trying to change things to make sure traditional drop back QBs remain the "face of the league" (i.e., 6'4 white guy with a super model for a wife and great hair). Not a race thing, but I think he and his henchman feel much more comfortable marketing the league with the likes of Brady, Manning, Brees, etc., instead of Manziel, Kaepernick, etc.

The problem is the NFL has to take what colleges give, and for awhile now, the Drew Bledsoe type drop back QB is increasingly becoming a thing of the past in college. Players are just so fast and big now, coaches now want some guy with athleticism and mobility, with Luck, Newton, RG3 and Manziel being the ideal. Just look at next year's top QB prospects:

Hundley - mobile
Mariotta - mobile
Petty - mobile (don't let the skin color fool you, he had 16 rushing TDs last year)
Winston - mobile.

The only "pure drop backs" that are on my radar screen are Cook out of MSU, and Hackenburg at PSU. Nearly all the other QBs on track for the NFL or athletic mobile guys. And the past 10 years has seen a huge influx of mobile QBs (Luck, Tannehill, RG3, Wilson, Manziel, Newton, Kaep, Locker, it goes on and on)

Goodell hates this, so he has made the rules super favorable for drop back passers. It is simply stupid, and he should just let the QB position evolve instead of trying (terribly) to rig the system.

Perfundle

Reaction score
huskylawyer":12xwub54 said:
I'm convinced that the main reason for these over-the-top rules changes to (a) increase passing, (b) minimize rolling out of the QB ("QB is a runner when out of the pocket" rules) and (c) make it more difficult for defenses to defend the pass, is Goodell is petrified where the state of the QB position is headed, and he's trying to change things to make sure traditional drop back QBs remain the "face of the league" (i.e., 6'4 white guy with a super model for a wife and great hair). Not a race thing, but I think he and his henchman feel much more comfortable marketing the league with the likes of Brady, Manning, Brees, etc., instead of Manziel, Kaepernick, etc.

The problem is the NFL has to take what colleges give, and for awhile now, the Drew Bledsoe type drop back QB is increasingly becoming a thing of the past in college. Players are just so fast and big now, coaches now want some guy with athleticism and mobility, with Luck, Newton, RG3 and Manziel being the ideal. Just look at next year's top QB prospects:

Hundley - mobile
Mariotta - mobile
Petty - mobile (don't let the skin color fool you, he had 16 rushing TDs last year)
Winston - mobile.

The only "pure drop backs" that are on my radar screen are Cook out of MSU, and Hackenburg at PSU. Nearly all the other QBs on track for the NFL or athletic mobile guys. And the past 10 years has seen a huge influx of mobile QBs (Luck, Tannehill, RG3, Wilson, Manziel, Newton, Kaep, Locker, it goes on and on)

Goodell hates this, so he has made the rules super favorable for drop back passers. It is simply stupid, and he should just let the QB position evolve instead of trying (terribly) to rig the system.
Don't agree with that line of argument. The QB-is-a-runner rule isn't doing anything to decrease rollouts. It was added mainly as a response to one specific play, the read-option, that defenses didn't have enough guidance to defend. As for the other rules, they help all QBs that pass the ball, which of course is every QB period. you only have to watch the preseason to see that every single QB, whether mobile or not, is helped by the defensive penalties.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
If you want to talk about roots, look no further than the biggest self-entilted brat in the world, Jim Harbaugh.

He cries about physicality of our defense every game we played, he puts the idea into the media, after 42-13 and 29-3, then Pam Oliver comes to his aid as the most unprofessional reporter ever driving the issue towards the refs.

Then ofcourse the Giants DC piggybacks on this emphasis, another entilted franchise, then all of a sudden you have big market news papers driving the narrative and it becomes viral.

Yet, Harbaugh doesn't complain when his DBs pin arms down to keep WRs catching balls or that half his skill players hold on running plays that never get called or that his Defense seemingly is coached up to hold up ball carriers to allow teammates to take kill shots.

Every blames the Seahawks because its easy, yet this is nothing new, this wasn't something the Seahawks invented, this is the way the best defenses in the NFL have played since inception. Show me historical shutdown defense that has never been accused of pushing the bar of physicality and hard-nosed football?

NFL is getting weaker and weaker every year and no one cares because there are too many Fantasy Football bandwagon fans outweighing the traditional hardcore fans.

huskylawyer

Reaction score
Perfundle":r053lnuv said:
huskylawyer":r053lnuv said:

Hundley - mobile
Mariotta - mobile
Winston - mobile.

Don't agree with that line of argument. The QB-is-a-runner rule isn't doing anything to decrease rollouts. It was added mainly as a response to one specific play, the read-option, that defenses didn't have enough guidance to defend. As for the other rules, they help all QBs that pass the ball, which of course is every QB period. you only have to watch the preseason to see that every single QB, whether mobile or not, is helped by the defensive penalties.

Fair enough. But I'd counter by saying that mobile QBs are generally not as good as pocket passers when it comes to passing the ball (exceptions of course; Steve Young), and they can use the run to hide the passing deficiencies. A pure pocket passer doesn't have the "option" (pun intended) to run, so it is either pass, throw away or get sacked. The passing rules primarily are going to benefit QBs that pass more, and mobile/running QBs inherently pass less (because they have the run option).

Regardless, the rules are getting stupid. The pre-season has been incredibly tough to watch with the flags.

A lot of folks call these new rules "The Seahawks Rules" but a lot of folks also call them "Let's get Peyton Manning Another Ring" rules. I'm in the latter camp.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The funny thing with all the handwringing about the new rules is that it really has not affected us that much.

The biggest incident where it might have hurt us was the Simon missed interception and frankly, the NFL said that even WITH the new emphasis that was still a legal play.

I have watched enough preseason games to see other teams getting nailed for it left and right, but the Seahawks have only had a few instances per game they get hit on that for 5 yards here or there.

On the other hand, we have gotten our own drives extended quite a few times by this new emphasis (I would call them bad calls but according to the rules they are correct even if it is BS football)

So even with our secondary, it looks like we stand a net benefit? I guess when the bullets are live it might be different but so far - this might be a wash or even slightly helped us, even it made the games suck everywhere else.

Sac

Reaction score
At the best he's ever been, DeAngelo Hall was maybe half the corner that Sherman is. And he wasn't that for very long.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Somebody please show me VIDEO of plays where the Seahawks got away with plays that should have been penalties. How about a few in the Super Bowl, seeing as how more than a few people watched that game.

Seriously, this is some of the most lazy, whiny, b!tch sh!t I've ever seen in pro spots. And so perfectly typical. Heaven forbid a Seattle team steals headlines from Peyton Manning and the East coast teams. Give me a f'n break. If that were a Ray Lewis Baltimore team, it would've been lauded. If you took that exact team and painted them in the colors of a more traditional team or mass media friendly team, they'd have been hyped as game changers. But no. Jerry Jones and a bunch of p@ssy-footed fools in the competition committee had to go and try to beat the Hawks behind the scenes. They know it will be a lot easier building flag football offenses to try and win a title, than it would to build a defense the caliber of the Hawks.

In this Roger Goodell age of the NFL, I find I lose respect for the league on a daily basis. I thought the league avoiding Seattle home prime time games was bad enough. But this just takes the cake.

I thought I was going to be content as a fan after finally winning the Super Bowl after a lifetime of waiting. But now I just want to shove this crap in the faces of the entire cry baby league. I can't wait til the chosen one Peyton Manning and Jerry Jones both come to Seattle this season. I look forward to reinforcing to both of them, that they have to beat the Hawks on the field. Not behind the scenes.

Go Hawks.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Hall is such a dewsh, and an average player at best.

Ta2Droo‏@Ta2Droo22h
@NBCdianna @Todd_Dybas someone call the #waaahbulance we got another cry baby that needs 500 CC's of STFU

Scott Hudson‏@hUd_daWg22h
@NBCdianna @DavisHsuSeattle yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Please....

Ta2Droo‏@Ta2Droo22h
@Todd_Dybas "now we have to pay" is victim statement. as Holmgren said the rule hasn't changed it's the attention to it that has

Steve Figliolia‏@SteveFigliolia22h
@NBCdianna Man he really doesn't get it does he...

Longs Slides Only ‏@1truseatlefan22h
@NBCdianna @Todd_Dybas wow Hall is so bitter.

Joseph Rush Malloque‏@JoeyRMalloque22h
@NBCdianna @DavisHsuSeattle the Seahawks aren't the ones getting flagged for it in the preseason when comparing it to other teams.

Josh Graham‏@the_proGhramm22h
@NBCdianna @Softykjr get the man a tissue

@NBCdianna @DavisHsuSeattle LOL! So clueless.

@NBCdianna At some point this will be flag football.... its a physical game quit handcuffing defenses #offensefriendlyleague

@NBCdianna didn't DeAngelo retire YEARS ago?