OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
sc85sis":mtpll7vm said:
kf3339":mtpll7vm said:
charcoalbg":mtpll7vm said:
First post here and I normally do not post in any forums but I just have to vent on the past 4 game offensive strategies (lack of). Bottom line I saw absolutely no adjustments on the Offense side. Like most of the time Bevell has 5-10 plays during a game running it over and over again hoping they succeed. During this Detroit game they were blitzing so often, could the OC not incorporate more low risk dink and dunk plays to ease off the pass rush. Then when Defense doesn't blitz you start going further down field? What's wrong with take what the Defense give you? I think they need more of these going forward so Russell can have more rhythm and more comfortable in pocket throwing.

In the original topic of other alternatives for OC, I am surprised no one mentioned Norm Chow? Wasn't he the mastermind OC during Pete's championship USC days? Plus didn't Norm make Vince Young in Tennessee look like a pro bowler?

Yes to both comments about Norm Chow. But the problem in the USC days was that PC didn't like to share the success so Norm went away.

At least that is what I remember.
Norm went away because Pete promoted Sark and Kiffin in order to keep them on the staff, which meant Norm was seeing his role gradually cut back. Norm also was interviewing for head coaching jobs at the time (there was a rumor he was trying to convince Sanchez to transfer with him if he were to get hired--though I have no clue whether it's true).

When Pete first hired Norm Chow, USC used Norm's offense from BYU. The results were not all that satisfactory the first year, partly because of injuries to the RBs and partly due to scheme. After USC lost in the Las Vegas Bowl 10-6, Pete decided the offense needed an overhaul.

That offseason Pete consulted with Alex Gibbs and Jon Gruden. He implemented zone blocking to the o-line and added some vertical passing concepts to the passing game. USC lost only two games the next season, Carson Palmer won the Heisman, USC curb stomped Iowa in the Orange Bowl and the Trojans were off and running--literally and figuratively.

Norm repeatedly told people that the offense USC ran starting in the 2002 season was Pete's offense.

Thanks for the insight. SC85

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":yp8k49x0 said:
I prefer Bevell. Take away the 3 fumbles tonight and we win fairly easily

You can't just conveniently forget about fumbles when they don't serve your point. They were caused by mistakes from Cable's linemen, though.

ilikedlargent

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":3dtdae73 said:
ilikedlargent":3dtdae73 said:
Because I can and its the new age of communication .
Because someone has to be logical and rational and not a rah Rah 13 tear old .

Textbook irony.

Irony is a tough one to nail purposely for many; quite easy for most accidentally.

Gotta love it!

This doesn't have crap to with irony. I'm not the one making pretend important threads about stuff I know nothing about.
Where the hell does this Shanahan fantasy come from in the first place ?

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
ilikedlargent":24izppkk said:
Where the hell does this Shanahan fantasy come from in the first place ?
If you know Coach Carroll's history it is not hard to connect the dots.

- In the 90's Pete Carroll and Mike Shanahan worked together winning a Superbowl in SF.

- At USC Pete Carroll overhauled his offense meeting w/Alex Gibbs who served under Mike Shanahan and revolutionized the modern NFL zone run scheme, that has remained dominant to this very day. It won 2 Superbowls in Denver. and churned out 1,000 yard no name RB's like clock work. (This point might come in real handy in the near future given Lynch's age.)

- After Alex Gibbs quit/retired shortly after being hired by the Seahawks. The next off season Pete Carroll aggressively pursued Tom Cable who served under Alex Gibbs in ATL.

- The Seahawks did not put zone read into their playbook until he saw Shanahan run it with RGIII.

- Not only do Shanahan teams run the ball well without superstars required, he builds a complementary passing game off of it with playaction, rollouts, boots, nakeds, keepers, sprintouts, you name it. He always keeps his QB's on the move rarely ever using the same launch point, tailor made for RW. Young & Elway thrived in this scheme. Also guys like Jake Plummer, Jay Cutler, & RGIII his rookie year, were made to look like franchise QBs at times.

The problem.
-Mike Shanahan's ego.
-Pete Carroll's ego.

Pete could run the D
Mike could run the O
=
Dynasty

canfan

Reaction score
The day the "Red Lobster" comes to work for the Seahawks is the day I go back to watching the CFL. Pete is all about positive re-reinforcement and encouraging players to be their best. Listen to any people that have played for Shanny and there is one consistent response. He is a dick!! Would never fit in Pete's culture. You spend a lot of time drawing lines of relationship between Pete and Shanahan, yet there is no indication they have had anything to do with each other for over 20 years. This is a pointless thread because they are already running the offense that Pete wants - run heavy with explosive chunk plays sprinkled in. They just have too many new players in the lineup to do it effectively at the moment. They will either improve as a line or have to get new parts, but the parts will fit Pete's vision of the offense , not yours or Shanahan's

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
I can understand the position of OC is of major concern, however, in any case, I can only see PC replacing the OC if this season turns out poorly. A mid season coaching change may be more likely aimed at the real source of the most major concern, the OL. Cable should be looked at strongly for a replacement that can actually coach up OL guy's instead of just saying they are doing okay, when it's sooooooo obvious they are not. IMO, the coach that needs replacing is Cable, and the sooner the better if the goal is another Superb Owl. In other words, I think the OL has only one way to go and that is UP, and without Cable is probably the only way to change much from their current playing level..

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
canfan":18yyq3kc said:
The day the "Red Lobster" comes to work for the Seahawks is the day I go back to watching the CFL. Pete is all about positive re-reinforcement and encouraging players to be their best. Listen to any people that have played for Shanny and there is one consistent response. He is a dick!! Would never fit in Pete's culture. You spend a lot of time drawing lines of relationship between Pete and Shanahan, yet there is no indication they have had anything to do with each other for over 20 years. This is a pointless thread because they are already running the offense that Pete wants - run heavy with explosive chunk plays sprinkled in. They just have too many new players in the lineup to do it effectively at the moment. They will either improve as a line or have to get new parts, but the parts will fit Pete's vision of the offense , not yours or Shanahan's

Good point, about him being a dick, and I was aware of that. Tom Cable also used to be a yeller, and punch his ast coaches in the face. I think Shanahan in a coordinator role would be fine, he wouldn't be the top dog. The ego of Mike Shanahan probably wouldn't accept a coordinator job, that is the hurdle.

The Seahawks do not do enough creative movements with RW in the passing game. Darrell Bevell is calling the plays like he has Brett Favre at QB, not Russell Wilson. Bevell hardly every moves the pocket, which is insane when you have a dynamic QB like RW, a horrible O-Line, and an opposing defense that is desperately trying to keep him in the middle of the pocket the whole game, Darrell Bevell obliges.