DeeJay Dallas

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
What a strange thread. The guy had his first ever start, scored 2 touchdowns and was solid in the pass game.
Tough crowd to say the least.

Basis4day

Reaction score
toffee":3dsrm6dy said:
Basis4day":3dsrm6dy said:
This entire thread hurts my head.

Dallas has had approx 20 rushing attempts as a pro. That sample size can’t support either of the sides of the argument on display here.

Dallas has 2 carries against the dolphins for 8 yards. That’s a 4 yard average. Again, it’s too small a sample size to really
Learn anything.

Today he had 18 carries for 41 yards and a td. He also had 5 catches for 17 yards and a td. For most intents this was his first real game, and again, as a rookie. I think he showed promise as well as mistakes.

There is another RB in the PC era who had similar stats his first game as a Seahawk. 17 carries for 44 yards and a TD. Also had 3 catches for 9 yards. That was Lynch. Go back and look at his stats from 2010. I think quite a few posters on this site would be shocked to learn for instance he only had 6 tds in the regular season.

And again, this is simply a reminder of why it’s ridiculous to try and project a player after one game.
Penny's first 20 carries, was he any better?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... elog/2018/

Similar

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Rookie RBs take a bit to find their footing.

And guys like Penny didn't have to carry the load. We had RBs to sub in between their runs.

Dallas also did not get a training camp.

The issue was less Dallas than our insistence on using him. Green RBs with no training camp and no experience should NOT get 20 carries in a game. (or 18). We had a FB and a short passing game we could have used.

He did a good job in the GL run. He has a decent speed/power mix but he loses it the moment he starts dancing at the line instead of plowing through guys to at least get positive yardage. His other stuff at the GL was not helpful though.

Maybe this seasoning helps us later in the year. I think he will be a better RB at running than Homer, eventually. But no way would I ever pick Dallas over Homer because Homer is a stellar pass blocker, and our best weapon is Wilson throwing the ball.

Dallas had 2 TDs and those were good work by him. But most of what he did on the field made it harder on our offense, not easier. That was less on him and more on the coaches using him as much as they did. Wilson took some withering hits because Dallas was not ready.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
I think he did just fine in his first start for all the reasons others have noted (inexperience, tough run Defense, etc.)

What I really liked about his performance was how much fun he seemed to be having out there playing - I appreciate the positive energy he brings to his teammates. There was that one screen pass where he gained just 4 yards instead of the 10 or more yards he should have had, and I liked his reaction afterwards, acknowledging he made a mistake and should have done better on the play, but still having a big smile on his face and not losing confidence.

All in all, I think he improved as the game went on, and that’s a positive sign.

sutz

Reaction score
The issue was less Dallas than our insistence on using him. Green RBs with no training camp and no experience should NOT get 20 carries in a game. (or 18). We had a FB and a short passing game we could have used.
Not sure we "insisted" on using him. I mean, who else was there? 18 carries is Holmgren territory and short passing really isn't our strong suit. To run our deep passing game we have to run the ball more than 5 times a game.

rcaido

Reaction score
i was expecting really bad results, but he made plays for the most parts. As a rookie and first starting game, quite an amazing achievement with 2 TDs. I only wish Wilson would have gotten his 5th td and he needs to change his last name.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Dallas did great. I think the only assignment he missed was the botched handoff down by the goalline.

Other than that, ran hard, picked up his assignments and protected Russell on blitzes.

Does that mean I want to see 20 snaps a game out of Dallas? No. He can't break tackles or push the pile on short yardage, which is problematic. But as change of pace back with some quickness and wiggle? I'm in.

OP
OP
Gio

Gio

Reaction score
edited the article by posting a youtube link of all his plays from week 8 ( [youtube][/youtube] wasn't working so you could see the video from here).. I think this kid could learn a lot from Carson , Hyde and Penny.

AirStrike

Reaction score
So much nitpicking and analysis for a rookie against a really stout defense. Shocking to say the least.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3dtfyghj said:
Very odd. His first ever NFL Start, scores 2 touchdowns and looks good in the passing game.
Bust :?

I haven’t formed an opinion of DeeJay but have lower expectations the lower round the player is taken.

DeeJay didn’t look great but it was his first heavy game experience.

However judging him based on two TDs isn’t accurate either. Those are a matter of play call. I also didn’t consider the Fridge a good running back either despite his extremely high TD rate.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
He looks like a rookie and plays like a rookie, perhaps you just need to give him time to feel comfortable in his role.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
olyfan63":2t2v1o48 said:
Here's some DeeJay Dallas college tape from his time at Miami. Here's what I notice:
* He ran inside, between the tackles, a lot, and had some impressive runs.
* On some highlights, he looked like a poor man's Chris Carson, tough running, keeps driving.
* He uses his blockers well
* Very good on screen pass plays
* Miami used him as the QB in the Wildcat, on occasion.

I think he'll be a great addition to the team, just needs more development time, more reps. He's on his way.
Lack of real training camp and no preseason really hurt his development.

[youtube]gnw07J_NYo8[/youtube]

8 weeks in and it's easy to forget there was no real training camp and preseason. A lot of rookies and new additions across the league have been discounted a tad unfairly.

Fade

Reaction score
He is exactly what you hope to get with a 4th round pick.

He can become a topflight 3rd down back, once he learns who to block on passing downs.

A really nice receiver out of the backfield with natural hands, runs with pretty good wiggle, might not have enough power to be a good starter, definitely a solid back up, though.

He needs to hit the weights, get stronger, and be more assignment correct. In year 2 for him, I am expecting a money player on 3rd down than can help move the chains and keep the offense on the field.

He's better than Turbin imo, and he was a 4th round pick.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
TypeSly":h1muo1jc said:
Gio":h1muo1jc said:
What do you think about his tonight performance ?

18 rush att - 41 rushing yards (2.3 ypc) - 1 TD and 5 targets - 5 catches - 17 receiving yards
Total 58 yards in 23 touches.

Didn't he have two TD's?
Yep! :irishdrinkers:
zero fans in the bleachers - check
zero pre-season - check
Sits behind three other Backs - check
Beats the $hit out of Procise's stats - check
First REAL playing 18 touches @ NFL speed - check
Playing against a top five Run Defense - check
I get the curbed enthusiasms, but damn, some of y'all need to take into account where he is in his development.
The kid is green as hell.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
FattyKnuckle":rmdlz31p said:
olyfan63":rmdlz31p said:
Here's some DeeJay Dallas college tape from his time at Miami. Here's what I notice:
* He ran inside, between the tackles, a lot, and had some impressive runs.
* On some highlights, he looked like a poor man's Chris Carson, tough running, keeps driving.
* He uses his blockers well
* Very good on screen pass plays
* Miami used him as the QB in the Wildcat, on occasion.

I think he'll be a great addition to the team, just needs more development time, more reps. He's on his way.
Lack of real training camp and no preseason really hurt his development.

[youtube]gnw07J_NYo8[/youtube]

8 weeks in and it's easy to forget there was no real training camp and preseason. A lot of rookies and new additions across the league have been discounted a tad unfairly.

Looks ok here, yeah, just needs more time to get used to the speed of the NFL.. though I do notice, blocking wasn't ever highlighted . :)

olyfan63

Reaction score
olyfan63":1kum9964 said:
Bobblehead":1kum9964 said:
Looks ok here, yeah, just needs more time to get used to the speed of the NFL.. though I do notice, blocking wasn't ever highlighted . :)

Some of the draft scouts and profiles were saying that DeeJay Dallas was the best pass-protecting running back in the draft. His highlights don't show it, but then blitz pickups aren't generally shown in those clips, the RB blitz pickups just allow QBs and WRs to even *have* highlight reels. We just see the QB, with a clean pocket, throwing the bomb to the WR for the TD.

I didn't see the blitz pickup stuff in his film, so I was just taking the scouts' word for it. Certainly wasn't on display in the AZ game. He is, as I mentioned, a converted QB, so I figured his reputed pass-pro skills were an outcome of his time playing the QB position and understanding what a QB would want his RBs to do in the passing game. Still waiting to see this pass-pro ability, but staying optimistic it will show soon.

Actually, this has been a pretty awesome thread IMO. We've had the absolutely true criticisms that he's not already Alvin Kamara, Dalvin Cook, or Chris Carson. I appreciated those too, fair or not, because they give measuring sticks to check Dallas's progress against. Some of the criticisms were for things that I expect we will eventually see as his strengths (pass pro, between the tackles running). Someone made the comp of Robert Turbin, and maybe, but I think Dallas will emerge as a much better runner who doesn't fall victim to all the shoestring tackles Turbin did.

Dallas also housed at least one kick return (punt return I think) in college, so maybe he will get used there as well. I like what David Moore is doing for now.

My hope (and prediction) is that they will build more of a RB screen game around DeeJay Dallas and he will have some big plays on screens as the season goes on, and cause defenses to have to respect that part of our offense. It would help if Schottenheimer would do better at using RB screens as a more regular part of our offense, and not an afterthought.

TypeSly

Reaction score
It's certainly nice that we even have a RB of Dallas' calibre, after having three RB's down in the past couple weeks. In the long term, I don't see us keeping Dallas, considering how vital Homer has become in pass protection, and because they are such similar backs.
It's amazing how as a youngin' in the NFL, that Homer rarely or never misses a blocking assignment, especially with all the advanced schemes run in today's NFL. After checking out Homer's highlights, I don't think it's going to be very long before he becomes a feature back, or atleast a very capable runner. Mark my words, I think this guy has the potential to be a star, if he dedicates his offseason to strength and explosiveness.

If I'm wrong, then we still have a great receiver, and an off the charts blocker in a running back.

Latest posts