Defense gives up 10 to the best offense in the NFL so far

uncle fester

Reaction score
A review of Earl knocking the ball out of Gurley's hand.

A minor point, but one worth noting:

On the play, the left tackle Andrew Whitworth kicks out and goes to block the corner - Shaq Griffin. Not only does Griffin not shy away - and most corners do in this situation, business decisions etc etc - he flips Whitworth upside down, taking him out of any chance of blocking at the second level, and still tries to look to make a play on Gurley.

That's a 6' 1 181 corner going up against a 6' 7 335 lb lineman.

[youtube]8FHAuJPYLR0[/youtube]

JimmyG

Reaction score
We only gave up 10 points, but I don't feel that's a testament to how well they played. The ultra-reliable Greg Zuerlein missed a 36-yard FG. They Rams also pounded it down our throat on the opening drive and we were VERY fortunate to escape with zero points on that drive. An incredibly heads-up play by Thomas, but still, that was really lucky. 95% of the time that's 20 points allowed. This is not even counting Kupp dropping a very-catchable game-winning TD pass. People will be quick to throw out the "bend don't break" narrative, but to me yesterday was a case of "better lucky than good".

On the other hand, it's hard to ignore the 5 turnovers. That's obviously a great sign.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
JimmyG":3sqilxh9 said:
We only gave up 10 points, but I don't feel that's a testament to how well they played. The ultra-reliable Greg Zuerlein missed a 36-yard FG. They Rams also pounded it down our throat on the opening drive and we were VERY fortunate to escape with zero points on that drive. An incredibly heads-up play by Thomas, but still, that was really lucky. 95% of the time that's 20 points allowed. This is not even counting Kupp dropping a very-catchable game-winning TD pass. People will be quick to throw out the "bend don't break" narrative, but to me yesterday was a case of "better lucky than good".

On the other hand, it's hard to ignore the 5 turnovers. That's obviously a great sign.

You can say the same that if our offense had played better we would of scored on every turnovers. How many times have we played the Rams and how many times have it's always been one play away from winning. If it's luck, I would take it everytime against the Rams.