Denver "winning" free agency.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Its funny that they are spending so much on D, but unless they have a tougher run game and can protect Manning better, they probably lose 3 or 4 games against the NFC West alone next season. They benefited so much from playing lousy D's last year, they are in for a slap in the face - again - next season when they have to play some real defenses regularly. Talib and Ware will help, but not where they need it most.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":3k7jmaf8 said:
Its funny that they are spending so much on D, but unless they have a tougher run game and can protect Manning better, they probably lose 3 or 4 games against the NFC West alone next season. They benefited so much from playing lousy D's last year, they are in for a slap in the face - again - next season when they have to play some real defenses regularly. Talib and Ware will help, but not where they need it most.

The other interesting thing here is other teams saw what it took for us to win against them. And of course they are not gonna change anything either. LOL :sarcasm_off:

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
What's really interesting to me is thinking so what if they improve their D? They had the best offense of all time and our defense outscored them 9-8. Even if they'd already had an improved D that game and even if they had shut down our offense completely, we still win that game.

The key thing is Wilson doesn't create turnovers. Manning does.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Wow, they paid Ware 10 million per year? He will miss games because of age and injury. I expect Talib will miss time too.

Talib's contract isn't too bad, not sure why the Patriots wouldn't pay him 26 million guaranteed on a 6 year contract. Even if they cut him after 3 years that's only 8.7 million a year for a damn good DB who already knows your defense. Instead they pay "hamstring holdout" Revis 12 million and they'll have to find someone again next year. Belicheck is the perfect egotistical idiot. Didn't he learn anything from last year with Welker?

TJ Ward is pretty good and 4 years 23 million isn't bad. But still, that's a lot of money tied up in free agents, what about their own draftees? The "home grown" players who have helped build that team?

And as far as winning the off season, Seattle waited it out last year and ended up with bargain-basement contracts. Denver panicked and paid out big money as fast as they could. You don't see Schneider out there signing the "top free agents" to contracts. He just takes care of his own, then hits the discount aisle.

I expect San Diego to overtake Denver this year while KC struggles.

OffseasonChampions

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":fn8hj98d said:
Do they get a shiny trophy for winning FA???? Or just another ass kicking by Seattle in the Super Bowl again?
I'd say sadly that there are some posters on here that think that "winning" free agency matters. People for some reason want the big headlines about signing aging players for bloated, overpriced contracts rather than spending wisely on less popular players that fit our needs. Denver is right now leading the offseason Championship though by a large margin, 2011 Philly could be threatened as the greatest offseason champion of all-time.

OffseasonChampions

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":xh85ipa5 said:
Miami won the offseason last year.
Yep. NFL.com last year had an article about offseason spending champions, and all of these teams were trendy picks to at least contend in their divisions or make a deep playoff run.

2013 Miami went 8-8 missed playoffs
2012 Buffalo went 6-10 missed playoffs
2011 Philly went 8-8 missed playoffs
2010 Detroit went 6-10 missed playoffs
2009 Washington went 4-12 missed playoffs
2008 Cleveland went went 4-12 missed playoffs

2014 Denver????? good luck.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
I guess my question for all the armchair GMs is what SHOULD the Broncos be doing instead?

You're coming off a 13-3 season and a Super Bowl loss, you've got a dynamic offense and a HoF QB who is 37 years old. What do you do?

a) Stand pat.
b) Use Manning's last two years to rebuild?
c) Roll the dice on trying to win one in the two years you've got left with your HoF guy?

Option "c" seems to be pretty obvious to me. OF COURSE it might not work, but again, I have yet to see a convincing argument for another tact.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3mjpt25d said:
I guess my question for all the armchair GMs is what SHOULD the Broncos be doing instead?
Changing their philosophy, training, and team identity during the off-season as a team to not be soft <another word for female dogs> would do more good for them than any number of free agent signings. If they don't accomplish that on top of the guys they are grabbing, they'll lose another Super Bowl or fail to get there.

Popeye, I'm sure you know and agree that the Seahawks players are not just "that much better" in the skill department above the Denver Broncos. Toughness, both mentally and physically, played a huge role in what happened in early February.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ I think we're just thinking about it differently.

In terms of minimizing risk if you've just gone 13-3 and lost in the Super Bowl do you bring in all the talent you can at your points of weakness or do you change your entire philosophy and approach to the game hoping that you can do so successfully, and all on the off-chance that you make it to the Super Bowl and the Hawks end up being there again also? That just doesn't make any sense to me, IMO. Trying to become a completely different team with a 37 year old QB the yar after going 13-3 is just kinda bizarre, IMO.

drdiags

Reaction score
The way Kearse, Baldwin and Harvin were running free in Denver's secondary, I can see why Elway and Fox cleaned house. They needed to spend a little more on defense, so that the depth would be better. Ware just replaces the Dummervil screw-up. Not sure about Von Miller's recovery but for their sake hopefully it is a speedy one.

The Seahawks DL seemed stacked to me, sans losing McDonald and the team is bringing in folks even after cutting Clemons and Bryant. I hear calls for Allen, Hatcher, Melton and any other named DL out there. Ware would have been on the wishlist if Denver hadn't snapped him up.

I am guessing the Broncos are thinking their young RBs will give them the physical impact once their injured OL folks come back. Or maybe they address the offense with cheaper options through the draft?

But in the end, nothing wrong with a little rubbing it in. Elway is scrambling to clean up the mess left from the Superbowl. This was after his epic butt-chewing about a pre-season game Broncos fans claimed would prevent their team from losing to the likes of the Seahawks when it mattered. Yeah baby! How did that work? Hee hee ...

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
By trying to bandage the wounds - with old and overpriced vets, Denver is sabotaging future for a possible disaster during the present. Denver should see, by now, that their current team-building process is sub-par (let's face it, by going after Manning with those numbers and Elway's philosophy, they did try to buy a championship), and that building a team that suits Manning, and Manning only, didn't work in Indianapolis. Thus, it won't work in Denver. Seattle has shown you can have your cake and eat it, too, i.e. you can develop young talent and still win. Big.

OffseasonChampions

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1mzzjq6v said:

You're coming off a 13-3 season and a Super Bowl loss, you've got a dynamic offense and a HoF QB who is 37 years old. What do you do?

a) Stand pat.
b) Use Manning's last two years to rebuild?
c) Roll the dice on trying to win one in the two years you've got left with your HoF guy?

Option "c" seems to be pretty obvious to me. OF COURSE it might not work, but again, I have yet to see a convincing argument for another tact.
The problem isn't just their defense though. Their O-line and running game is ridiculously SOFT. They did nothing to help that out. Playing with an immobile, old QB they need to have a near perfect offensive line against good defenses. Instead of going for O-Line depth mixed in with possibly a few less pricey defensive free agents, they went ALL-IN on the big name defensive free agents that are getting up there in age and have injury concerns.

wrenches59864

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":3lo0az3n said:
Those "key" players they have signed have missed significant time with various injuries and have a bunch of miles on their bodies. Especially Talib & Ware.
and they are hella overpaying for them.

OffseasonChampions

Reaction score
cockeyhawk":2i7by1s0 said:
Oh they are the Broncos, and we played them in the Super bowl! Everything they do must be stupid and they suck so hard!!!
It has nothing to do with not liking them, the Steelers are disliked by many in our fanbase including myself since the refs aided their Super Bowl Win, but they have proven to be long-term contenders and mainly build their teams from within. Their model is more sustainable and successful. They aren't out there spending big money on aging stars from other teams.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
OffseasonChampions":7n6rnkye said:
cockeyhawk":7n6rnkye said:
Oh they are the Broncos, and we played them in the Super bowl! Everything they do must be stupid and they suck so hard!!!
It has nothing to do with not liking them, the Steelers are disliked by many in our fanbase including myself since the refs aided their Super Bowl Win, but they have proven to be long-term contenders and mainly build their teams from within. Their model is more sustainable and successful. They aren't out there spending big money on aging stars from other teams.
they're only spending money on their own aging stars lol

Latest posts