Dethroning The Tyrants Called 49ers

dbsn2420

Reaction score
It's not often that I can make it through a long post like this, however this time I did. Good work! Bottom line for me, both teams are very good however, this year one team will be great. I'm feeling like the hawks take a big step forward while the 49rs struggle a bit. My guess/prediction is Hawks and 49rs both make the post season with the Hawks enjoying home field advantage to the championship!

NorCal

Reaction score
Well that was an interesting use of coming to a conclusion and then finding stats to somehow support that conclusion. I bet in a couple of years when the seahawks are the "older" team, he will flip this around to say how the more "experienced" team has a better future.

BocciHawk

Reaction score
To the previous poster, I actually don't think the Seahawks will ever be an older more experienced team. JS and PC seem to be absolutely wedded to this competition mantra, and they also want the players with the highest ceiling. We've had young guys unexpectedly make the team, we've had young guys unexpectedly become starters, and I expect that trend will continue. I do think they'll do everything they can to retain certain key older guys, but it's all relative i.e. the Legion of Boom, Max Unger, Okung, are young guys overall, and if they get big free agent deals to stay, it'll almost force the rest of the roster to stay cheap... especially once Wilson gets paid.

I see the Seahawks in three to five years having six or eight older players making a lot of money, and a TON of young guys still on their rookie deal.

OP
OP
P

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Jville":2vqndvva said:
In 2010, 4 rookies made 28 starts: Thomas (16), Okung (10), Thurmond (1), Ness (1)
In 2011, 5 rookies made 45 starts: Wright (12), Sherman (10), Carpenter (9), Moffitt (9), Jeanpierre (5)
I did not count Browner who is listed as a rookie and made 16 starts.
In 2012, 5 rookies made 38 starts: Wilson (16), Wagner (15), Sweezy (3), Lane (3), Kearse (1)

From what I could determine of the 49ers:
In 2010, 4 rookies made 39 starts: Davis (16), Iputi (16), Bowman (1), Mays (6)
In 2011, 2 rookies made 9 starts: Hunter (1), FB Miller (9)
In 2012, 0 rookies made 0 starts

I find this comparison interesting. Harbaugh made it a point of emphasis to get off to a quick start last year and clearly leaned on vets to do it. The numbers above suggest that his staff might not be all that comfortable with rookies. I'm aware of a difference in philosophy between the general manager and defensive coordinator. I wonder if there might also be additional philosophical differences over getting rookies more involved earlier on in their career.

Its a pretty crazy difference, 49ers under Harbaugh have not really played their rookies. Aldon Smith is probably the only rookie that made significant impact his rookie year.

Also, two other thing Bruce Miller for the 49ers had 8 starts not 9 but at least the total is right.

And I completely ignored Doug Baldwin who made 1 start but ended up as the Seahawks leading WR in 2011.

Seahawks have made significant contributions and plenty of difference its not even a topic of debate as which team's overall youth as been better so far.

The 49ers youth that they've been stocking up might make impact down the road, but Seahawks' players already have experience and that translates into a better team down the road.

Since 2010:

So far really San Fran has had contributions from the top of my head: Boone-udfa, Davis, Iputi, Bowman, Smith, Kaepernick, Hunter, LeMichael James, Chris Culliver.

9 young players with impact.

(If any 49er fans want to add to this less, be my guest)

Seahawks Okung, Thomas, Thurmond, Tate, Chanchellor, McCoy, Gresham, Carpenter, Moffitt, Wright, Sherman, Maxwell, Baldwin- udfa, Jeanpierre- udfa, Johnson- udfa, Smith, Morgan-udfa, Irvin, Wagner, WILSON, Turbin, Lane, Sruggs.

23 young players with impact.

2013: I see as many as 10 rookies/udfa's with a good chance to make the roster with significant contributions by Willson, Hill, Harper (st), Williams

NorCal

Reaction score
Your main assumption is that playing rookies right away is the best strategy. There really are two different schools of thought on this; its a discussion that has been around for a long time. One, play the rookies because game experience is best. Or two, develop rookies and play them when they are ready.

It can be as simple as SEA needed to play more rookies, and they've responded well for the most part. SF hasn't had to play as many rookies. I tend to think, and it is supported by some of the pundits, that Harbaugh likes to not have to play them until they are ready. We need more time to see if he is right. But the young guys he has put out there so far have played well.

OP
OP
P

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
There is really no assumption.

Seahawks may have needed rookies to start out of necessity more so compared to the 49ers.

But it is more astonishing that yes the Seahawks have relied on this young talent, and most of them have responded well in the thick of it.

Seahawks have been one of the most competitive teams dating back to the 2nd half of 2011 going 16-8 in that time during the regular season.

36 players out of the 58 players that were active on the roster last year had less than 3 years of experience in the league... about 62 percent... that is pretty significant factor.

I'm not really trying to downplay the 49ers, I'm not, I just feel that once age and experience catches up with the Seahawks we will have the better team.

Right now, I feel that the talent level is pretty even between the two teams but one does have to recognize the considerable difference between the age and experience of both teams.

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
Congratulations, you managed to turn football into rocket science.....................lol

TLD0550

Reaction score
this is all you had to get across

To understand my argument, one has to first understand the state of the league.

OP
OP
P

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
lvnginhwktwn":2sk7gobh said:
Congratulations, you managed to turn football into rocket science.....................lol

Better to laugh while you can, while your team is barely ahead by traditional measures... but the 2013 NFC West will render your team irrelevant by year's end.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
8 of our 11 starters on offense have played in the Pro Bowl....and at their age! I don't know but that seems like youthful quality to me.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
The 49ers will start out 0-2 and never draw even with Seattle for the remainder of the season.

They will also miss the playoffs.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
bestfightstory":23o35emr said:
The 49ers will start out 0-2 and never draw even with Seattle for the remainder of the season.

Wouldn't surprise me, once things start to go bad and the Harbomb goes off, it might get very bad for the ninnies!

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1ap4lxr9 said:
bestfightstory":1ap4lxr9 said:

Wouldn't surprise me, once things start to go bad and the Harbomb goes off, it might get very bad for the ninnies!

This is how I see it. Their 'margin of.......adversity', lets call it-is so thin right now. With a stacked team in the Seahawks chasing them and already losing Crabtree....I don't think it would take a lot for the wheels to come off.

Or even without a worst case scenario. Seattle is likely, as things stand, to total a minimum of 10 to 11 wins. At minimum. I think that is fair to say.

Last year, Green Bay's season started AND ended with a loss to the Niners. I'm going to say third times a charm and Rodgers abuses the Niners new secondary in week one and the Packers make a statement. Duhn Duhn duh duh duh Duhn Go! Pack! Go!
Next up, the Seahawks.
In PrimeTime.
On Pete Carroll's Birthday.
For our home opener.

I just don't see them battling back from an 0-2 start. And if we win at Carolina in week one all the better.

Anything can happen, but that's how I see it.

dunceface

Reaction score
Was this a school paper?

Haha I actually read the whole thing and it was very thorough analysis and brought up some good points about the overlooked quality of our draft contributions but the last 1/3 seemed the most relevant and I would have to agree with your assessment that SEAHAWKS> NINERS.

Bravo, good sir

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
As much as I would love to see the Niners go 0-2, I find it highly unlikely. They are going to make GB their girlfriend in week one. If the second game was at home against the Hawks we could easily be talking about them being 2-0.

The Niners are still very good, even with the roster hits they took and Crabtree being out. I do feel like they are going to feel those changes early, but as guys like Reid and Aso fit in, the Niners will be back to the strength they have enjoyed the last two seasons.

Don't get me wrong, I have wanted the Niners to lose every game they have played since Owens brought out the Sharpie, but they have been a tough out since 2007 to the Seahawks.

OP
OP
P

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I was just going to post a link to this thread in the, this week's enemy forum thread, but thought to just unbury it completely.

Sorry BFS that your GB prediction didn't come through, close but no cigar.

FrankTheTank21

Reaction score
LOL I'm a little surprised by the extreme 9er hate.

It's not an old rivalry like 9ers-Rams, and the 9ers have sucked pretty much the entire time you guys have been in the NFC.