Did Macdonald take a veiled shot at last seasons defense?

BASF

Reaction score
During the press conference, at the 31:50 mark he was asked, "Your Ravens guys described your philosophy as flexible and adaptable. When did that become the most important thing to you? And why is that the identity of your defense?"

He takes a second to gather his thought, and then his answer is, "Well, the offenses out there are too good to run just three things and say, 'Hey, we're gonna beat ya'"

When he starts his answer, JS looks over at him and kind of smirks at the run three things. Then looks at someone off camera and smirks again.

Last edited:

kidhawk

Reaction score
Someone please tell him no matter how many schemes he runs, they won’t work if nobody tackles

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Oh yeah that was definitely a parting shot.

I wasn't a fan of Clint Hurtt doing it to Ken Norton a few years ago because we all knew Pete was the one calling the shots.

Now, I liked it because it means there actually WILL be change, despite what the Carroll Sympathizers want to say

keasley45

Reaction score
During the press conference, at the 31:50 mark he was asked, "Your Ravens guys described your philosophy as flexible and adaptable. When did that become the most important thing to you? And why is that the identity of your defense?"

He takes a second to gather his thought, and then his answer is, "Well, the offenses out there are too good to run just three things and say, 'Hey, we're gonna beat ya'"

When he starts his answer, JS looks over at him and kind of smirks at the run three things. Then looks at someone off camera and smirks again.
Absolutely. Its obvious John has an ally in his view of where the Hawks need to go and his opinion of what we were - a team that was underperforming because of the way it was being led, the ideas that were driving it, and the lack of authority in maintaining a standard of excellence.

To that last point, i think it was also notable that he made it a point to underscore that 'being there' for your players means supporting them, and also sometimes calls for 'tough love'. All things that ere obviously lacking and that will go a long way to taking this team from what it was last year to considerably better with more concrete and unified / competent coaches.

KinesProf

Reaction score
If he did, it was deserved.

But I don't think so. The man seems so measured and intentional with everything he says. I got a Navy Seal / Wall Street executive vibe off of him.

Parallax

Reaction score
If he did, it was deserved.

But I don't think so. The man seems so measured and intentional with everything he says. I got a Navy Seal / Wall Street executive vibe off of him.
That's an interesting juxtaposition. One I've never thought of.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Yep, this quote was posted in another thread. To me it was the most memorable quote from the presser. And frankly, it was so refreshing to hear.
In the end this is a big part of why Holmgren fell off as a coach. He was more adaptable than Pete, but still insisted on the same high level concepts regardless of the talent he had and how defenses were changing. Holmgren's concepts were at least creative. Pete relied almost entirely on hyping up superior talent. You don't have to be creative when you are both motivated and significantly better than your opposition.

KinesProf

Reaction score
That's an interesting juxtaposition. One I've never thought of.
Yeah, he's not necessarily stone cold; but there's a certain assassins' like precision to him. But then you throw in the "soft skills" that he likely picked up while doing his Masters in Business Management.

Juxtaposed with Pete, who might be my favourite sports personality/leader of all-time, who was more along the lines of friendly cult leader (think Hank Scorpio from the Simpsons), or highly successful Barnum and Bailey / The Greatest Showman figure.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
It is also why Reid has outlasted Holmgren for so long. He is very good at understanding his talent and other criteria and continuing to adapt.

Parallax

Reaction score
Yeah, he's not necessarily stone cold; but there's a certain assassins' like precision to him. But then you throw in the "soft skills" that he likely picked up while doing his Masters in Business Management.

Juxtaposed with Pete, who might be my favourite sports personality/leader of all-time, who was more along the lines of friendly cult leader (think Hank Scorpio from the Simpsons), or highly successful Barnum and Bailey / The Greatest Showman figure.
So many contrasts. Someone else said this; I'm just paraphrasing. One does less with more; the other more with less. One skips the details; the other is all about them. One focuses on competing now; the other is willing to take a short term hit to invest in the future. One is risk adverse; the other takes smart risks.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score

LMAO. Amazing.