Did Mahomes set a new standard for QB contracts?

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Supposedly, Wilson has stated he wants a Mahomes-level salary. Obviously, the only way that happens is if his contract is stretched out long term. With the way the game has changed, QB's are succeeding more than ever, and there are plenty of young guys who are becoming the face of their franchises (Herbert, Jackson, Burrow, Allen, Murray). All these QB's have plenty of years ahead of them, and I can see them looking at Mahomes' contract & wanting that money/security. Is this going to be the new standard?

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Then he probably should have signed rhat contract a few years ago. Mahomes contract runs for 12 years, and he will be 37 when it expires. If Wilson signed a 12-year contract now, he would be 45 when it expires. Bit of a difference, no?

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Whoa. I didn't know anything about a 12 year contract. I was just bowled over by Watson getting $280M all guaranteed over 4 yrs, or something like that. I don't think I would give ANYONE a contract to play nfl football for a term like 12 years when the average active career is something like 4 years.