Did Shanahan just pull a Bevell in the Superbowl?

Threedee

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":1ww4u1jb said:
I'm not sure I can take much more of this Monday morning OC expertise re XLIX.

For the love of God can you imagine the uproar if we handed it off and Lynch fumbled or got pushed back. Everyone would be calling DB predictable and bland etc. It was the execution of that call not the call itself which should be lamented. As others have said if Lockette gets in ino-one would even think about the call even twice. It's not like Lynch had been automatic either.

What the Falcons did was unforgivably poor as they didnt need to try and do anything fancy to get the lead. They had it in their hands whereas the Seahawks in XLIX still had work to do.

Right, because Lynch fumbling has equal odds as a pass thrown straight into traffic being intercepted. For that matter, a one yard rush still had much greater odds than a completed pass, forgetting turnovers entirely. The Patriots that season were statistically weak in short-yardage run defense.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
So were we. They had their goal-line jumbo package in, so coaches made the decision to pass. Right decision; unfortunate outcome. But we'll be back.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3w2l9595 said:
So were we. They had their goal-line jumbo package in, so coaches made the decision to pass. Right decision; unfortunate outcome. But we'll be back.

So every time a team is at the 1, no we'll go the 1 inch line, and a defense rolls in a goal-line personnel package, no matter how bad their goal-line defense is, more than 50% of the time the offense should just default to passing? Even when you have one of the most physically dominant RBs in recent history? Because that's the kinda football logic you're suggesting, which is absolutely broken.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Threedee":11tqy4pc said:
UK_Seahawk":11tqy4pc said:

For the love of God can you imagine the uproar if we handed it off and Lynch fumbled or got pushed back. Everyone would be calling DB predictable and bland etc. It was the execution of that call not the call itself which should be lamented. As others have said if Lockette gets in ino-one would even think about the call even twice. It's not like Lynch had been automatic either.

What the Falcons did was unforgivably poor as they didnt need to try and do anything fancy to get the lead. They had it in their hands whereas the Seahawks in XLIX still had work to do.

Right, because Lynch fumbling has equal odds as a pass thrown straight into traffic being intercepted. For that matter, a one yard rush still had much greater odds than a completed pass, forgetting turnovers entirely. The Patriots that season were statistically weak in short-yardage run defense.

The odds of an interception on that slant were incredibly low, especially with how the play developed up until just before the ball arrived. See my post above about the collision. Also, the Patriots had stopped Lynch in short-yardage several times prior in that game. The play-call was fine with me.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":29a18qhr said:
Siouxhawk":29a18qhr said:

So every time a team is at the 1, no we'll go the 1 inch line, and a defense rolls in a goal-line personnel package, no matter how bad their goal-line defense is, more than 50% of the time the offense should just default to passing? Even when you have one of the most physically dominant RBs in recent history? Because that's the kinda football logic you're suggesting, which is absolutely broken.
Somebody did a breakdown a while back on our short-yardage offense that year and the summation was that in that instance it was wiser to pass. It was also a fairly low-risk pass based on history, but Browner and Butler made a spectacular play.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":53f9wcjh said:

If we handed it off and Lynch fumbled than oh well he fumbled like wtf man. I would much rather go down trying to run beast mode then trying to get cute and throw a game losing INT

But yes I agree. You listen to media all day Monday and they barely bash the call to not run it, I thought it was going to be unaminous blasting of that series. I swear they better recheck the score and time left because most of them talking about it monday were WRONG. If the Falcons were only up say...3 or 4 then YES I agree dont just run it and be scared to only go up 6 or 7. You do that you know Brady is going to just march right down and tie it...which he did anyway. You HAVE to play it smart go up by 11 with 3-4 min left.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3k1c90si said:
No. Bevell won a Super Bowl.

This is also true too..You know what is funny...and what I was thinking about earlier

People after our win basically gave Wilson ZERO credit even though he kept his foot on the gas and rammed it down the Broncos throat to finish off the game. He didnt let Manning have a chance at coming back because Bevell and Wilson both let it go and didnt give the Broncos a chance even if our D hadnt shut down manning and got tired

I bet Matt Ryan wish he "padded" his stats on his way to a win :lol:

Largent80

Reaction score
Shanahan pulled a Shanahan.

This has nothing to do with Bevell.

I'm glad the 9ers are getting him.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Largent80":uq6vcfq3 said:
Shanahan pulled a Shanahan.

This has nothing to do with Bevell.

I'm glad the 9ers are getting him.
It's refreshing to see an OC (Shanny) man up and admit his playcalling mistakes......

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Totally different circumstances. But go ahead and reach for those straws you think you're making some sort of parallel analogy to.

Threedee

Reaction score
fenderbender123":17vbzuup said:
Threedee":17vbzuup said:

The odds of an interception on that slant were incredibly low, especially with how the play developed up until just before the ball arrived. See my post above about the collision. Also, the Patriots had stopped Lynch in short-yardage several times prior in that game. The play-call was fine with me.

No, the odds of a fade are pretty low for interception. A throw straight into the belly of the defense is a different matter.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Notice Shanahan didn't make any statements such as "We could've done a better job of getting the ball out quicker" or "We could've done a better job of avoiding the sack in that situation" or similar nonsense. No, he flat told the team later "I screwed up." The team will at least acknowledge and respect that.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":2zkyur77 said:
Notice Shanahan didn't make any statements such as "We could've done a better job of getting the ball out quicker" or "We could've done a better job of avoiding the sack in that situation" or similar nonsense. No, he flat told the team later "I screwed up." The team will at least acknowledge and respect that.
I think you're mixing up football with the three soap operas you watch daily. That's where you'll find the sappy drama you seem to be clamoring for.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":x9d8hacz said:

Wrong. If you go down, you go down with your very best player. Our best in that situation was Lynch not a receiver with 18 career receptions. If Lynch got pushed back, so what-we had a timeout and would have another shot or 2. If he fumbled, no regrets because we would've put the title on the line with the best power back in the game.

Do you think in the famous '67 NFL Championship, Lombardi went for some incredulous element of surprise at the goaline? No, he put it all on the line with Hornung and then Starr up the middle-his very best player. You don't pussyfoot around and play "gotcha!" when a chance at a dynasty is at stake-you ram it down their throat and let the chips fall where they may.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
fenderbender123":25c0h8v1 said:
UK_Seahawk":25c0h8v1 said:

For the love of God can you imagine the uproar if we handed it off and Lynch fumbled or got pushed back.

I'm with you on this. People forget that Lynch was unsuccessful several times in short yardage situations in XLIX. Why would we try handing it off to him again when the Pats had been over it all game? Hindsight bias 100%.

The interception happened because something very unordinary happened on that play...Lockette, despite his size, got completely knocked back when Butler made contact with him. You never see that happen...usually the WR and CB will both fall to the ground if they hit each other like that, or at least be contorted enough to where catching the ball is impossible. Bevell was 100% correct in his observation that Lockette could have been "stronger" to the ball.

Disagree. Lynch did have some short yardage success earlier in the game. More importantly, the Patriots ranked 30th in the NFL in short yardage defense against the run, allowing a staggering 77.8% of their opponents to convert. That my friends is why you lay the title on the line with a chance at a dynasty with Lynch:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.patspulp ... -sprint-us

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
We caught them in their goal-line jumbo package. Butler was the only guy we had to beat, but he made a phenomenal play. We score on that play 90 times out of 100 and I'm sure the coaching staff had the numbers available that our short-yardage rushing game wasn't as consistent.

TwilightError

Reaction score
The falcons found an even more painful way to lose a super bowl than the Hawks. That's a record broken.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":39iv74dc said:
We caught them in their goal-line jumbo package. Butler was the only guy we had to beat, but he made a phenomenal play. We score on that play 90 times out of 100 and I'm sure the coaching staff had the numbers available that our short-yardage rushing game wasn't as consistent.

Butler was rushed onto the field when they saw our set up...

surely you know this. They rushed the one guy on the field that was instructed to deal with that play. If they made their adjustment, why didn't the Seahawks?

also, what are the percentages Lynch does not fumble if he gets the ball there? Is it over 90%? Because if it is, then you have answered your own question as to why people are still frustrated by the play call. You keep defending it on its own merit while ignoring the basic premise and other factors of the play.