Did the Raiders Oline look familiar?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He’s gone, and continuing to pile on seems somewhat douchey. However, watch, their OLine will get worse and worse each year he’s there until Gruden wises up and cans him.

I don’t want to read anymore Cable threads so I will not click them anymore. I hate reliving that negativity.

Vesuve

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1k2spvav said:
He’s gone, and continuing to pile on seems somewhat douchey. However, watch, their OLine will get worse and worse each year he’s there until Gruden wises up and cans him.

Weird (IMO) that it was Gruden that brought Cable to Oakland and hired him.

adeltaY

Reaction score
12thbrah":3ktcxuse said:
Raiders used to have one of the top o-lines in the league and Cable has made them worse somehow.

Their line was top tier when it was Penn-Osemele-Hudson-Jackson-Howard. The line we played yesterday was Miller-Feliciano/Murray-Hudson-Jackson-Parker. There's a reason why they are worse, and it is not just Cable.

chris98251

Reaction score
Solari has two new guys this year and made it all work, Cable had at least 14 draft picks and several Free Agents and could not.

HawkerD

Reaction score
chris98251":184e7jen said:
Solari has two new guys this year and made it all work, Cable had at least 14 draft picks and several Free Agents and could not.
^This hits the nail on the head. Aside from TC coaching ineptness, his talent evaluation was worse. At some point talent matters. Combine no talent and poor coaching and you get what we had in 2016/2017

Steve2222

Reaction score
Blair Walsh also missed three chipshot FGs against the Redskins last year. God 2017 was so awful.

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
Injuries seem to follow the scheme. Setting bad leverages and all. DB got that bum ankle in what the 1series of being a hawk.

Exaggeration aside, injures follow TC.

In how many years past his prime, how many games has unger missed protecting a pocket passer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mad Dog

Reaction score
AgentDib":65fmqmij said:
Our line is healthy for the first time in forever while the Raiders line is ridiculously injured. Throwing stones while ignoring those injury disparities is both mean spirited and short sighted. Let's just hope that our health continues to hold and that we can continue to build continuity with what looks to be a pretty good starting 5 in Brown-Sweezy-Britt-Fluker-Ifedi.

An alternative viewpoint would be that Cables coaching system puts his OL at risk of injury because of all the lateral movement . Higher chance of knee and ankle injuries in a ZBS vs Power scheme.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Scorpion05":2kdvok6o said:
We had an O-line with a converted tight end/former basketball player and even as recent as last year, people were questioning whether Duane Brown should be extended. J.R. Sweezy was considered crap. What did Cable do? Did he adjust? Did we see progression?? Nope

We don't absolve players from being mediocre, even when that player is dealing with injuries. Excusing Cable's ineffectiveness is laughable
I'm happy we have Solari if for no other reason than his role in acquiring Fluker. This thread is just a bunch of lazy venting and you don't address my point - injury outcomes - at all.

Duane Brown is a great example; he absolutely had a down year last season. The narrative that it was because of a line coach, as a pro bowler in his 10th season, was silly then and it's still silly now. He held out the entire off-season and first half of the regular season, then played week 8 with an entirely new team and hurt his ankle. Maybe the coaching was worse or maybe it was better, but viewing the coaching change as the important factor in his 2017 season is ignorant at best.

As far as Sweezy goes, I agree he has played well at LG for us. It's just a little short-sighted to give Solari all of the credit for that due to coaching him for part of a season and 3 NFL games, while at the same time flaming the guy who converted him from DL to OL in the first place and taught him how to play over 4 NFL seasons. Most of the other guys playing well for us - Brown, Ifedi, Britt - were also brought in by Cable in the first place. It seems more than tacky to throw stones at him from afar when he didn't pick the players on his current line and they are in shambles due to injuries.

Mad Dog":2kdvok6o said:
An alternative viewpoint would be that Cables coaching system puts his OL at risk of injury because of all the lateral movement . Higher chance of knee and ankle injuries in a ZBS vs Power scheme.
Is it possible? Sure. It's also possible that injuries just happen sometimes and blaming bad luck on the coaching staff when they aren't even our coaching staff anymore is ugly.

Seymour

Reaction score
sdog1981":3ijnai0o said:
At this point, it is very clear how bad Cable is. We don't know that Bevell would look like if he had a different Oline coach. This is also Bevell's fault because he did not demand ”me or him” from Pete and lost his job as a result.

It has been obvious to me for years. I was getting tired of even talking about it because it was so ridiculously obvious looking at what Wilson was being put through by playing for his life every game. This is also why I lost trust in Pete.

Cable Ranking

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
sdog1981":2au6yrri said:
At this point, it is very clear how bad Cable is. We don't know that Bevell would look like if he had a different Oline coach. This is also Bevell's fault because he did not demand ”me or him” from Pete and lost his job as a result.
Yes, we do...O-line's ability to block is one thing; formation, schemes, and our receivers bunching together 15 yards down the field are all Bevell-isms.