Did we jump the gun a bit?

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
You win some, you lose some. And most times the free agents that want to be here and be a part of this team will be if their price is right for our cap structure.

Michael Bennett re-signed for a 4 year, 28.5 mil deal in what is essentially a 3 yr, 21 mil deal.

Tony McDaniel re-signed for a 2 year deal for 5.75 mil in what is essentially could be a 1 yr, 3.75 mil deal.

Steven Hauschka re-signed for 3 yrs, 8.55 mil.

Tarvaris Jackson re-signed for 1 yr, 1.25 million when other starting quality backups are getting multi-year deals for multi million per.

Those are great contracts, if free agents want to follow the money that's their prerogative but if they want to be part of a Championship caliber team and play on cap-friendly contract then the Seahawks will entertain your party.

However, here is the thing most free agents once they get that money will fill entitled, they finally arrive, they won't work as hard, and they'll be become complacent in their football passion.

HOW MANY FREE AGENTS DO YOU FEEL WANT TO TAKE LESS MONEY THEN HAVE TO COMPETE TO EARN PLAYING TIME WITHIN THIS SYSTEM?

So now this whole "we've become a destination" is a false identity because it isn't about getting free agents who want to chase the glory of a championship because as someone said "money more often than not does talk"... Instead it has become that place "well if you got something to prove, if you got a chip on your shoulder, and you want to buy into this system and commit yourself to our philosophy...we will make you as successful you want to be"

HawkWow

Reaction score
The expressed or unexpressed opinion of any player is not a very good measuring device. They're not all as dumb as Jim Mora. Screaming "I want to play in Seattle" will do nothing to get you a good payday, or win you fanfare, in San Fran, Nawlins or Denver (etc). When Christine Michael screamed "I want to be drafted by Seattle", we should have identified him as an idiot right then and there. Some things are just better left out of the media.

Laloosh

Reaction score
I don't think anything's changed in this regard: Seattle has a unique working environment in the NFL. Guys like playing here. Just listening to Tate talk about the offer he got, you could hear how disappointed he was. The guy wanted to stay here but we wouldn't/couldn't pay him what he could get elsewhere.

If Chicago could afford $8M per for Jared Allen, you don't think they could have given Bennett a similar deal (which would have resulted in more money for him)?

I think guys want to play here, it's just a matter of mutual interest and cap room.

sutz

Reaction score
Another point I heard on my TV box re: Allen. By signing with Chicago, he gets 6 games a year against offensive lines he is already familiar with. He probably figures, if he's going to continue getting high sack numbers, it helps that he knows who he's going up against.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
MVP53":2u68eamr said:
Don't forget, Seattle is a long way away for some of these guys.

As was mentioned, Melton is from Dallas. Allen's family lives in Minn, just 400 miles from Chicago.
his wife is also from the Chicago area and they got married in Chicago

HawkWow

Reaction score
sutz":lo5f95sh said:
Another point I heard on my TV box re: Allen. By signing with Chicago, he gets 6 games a year against offensive lines he is already familiar with. He probably figures, if he's going to continue getting high sack numbers, it helps that he knows who he's going up against.

An angle I'd not considered. Makes a ton of sense.

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":15sepewd said:
hawksman53":15sepewd said:
On thinking this is a place that is now a DESTINATION team? I haven't heard one player besides Finley that has said he wants to come play for us? With the players leaving and anyone we have had intrest in going elsewhere it really dosent seem like it.
Remember context.

1. Our actual priority was signing our own FA's we deemed as core.
2. Biggest priority is extending Earl and Richard (preferably sometime in May/June).
3. Melton is a Dallas native and the Cowboys needed him big time.
4. Allen always has, is, and will be ALL about the money as I kept saying despite the disbelief and scorn.
5.We don't have any critical needs.

Context.

Agree with you 100% on Allen. This team is not being built with players who have an over-inflated sense of their own value, glad he didn't sign here, and glad our free agents who voluntarily left are gone. Addition by subtraction I say.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
-The Glove-":1ct9bki1 said:
MVP53":1ct9bki1 said:

As was mentioned, Melton is from Dallas. Allen's family lives in Minn, just 400 miles from Chicago.
his wife is also from the Chicago area and they got married in Chicago

Interestingly...Heath Farwell was his only teammate that was a groomsman. Cmon Heath! Gotta do a better job with recruiting your friends

nanomoz

Reaction score
Every potential free agent narrative is its own narrative. You can't take this stuff out of context and prove or disprove statements like "Seattle is a FA destination." I know we live in a world that tries to enforce simplicity and definitives and immediacy onto everything, and it rarely works.

mikeak

Reaction score
Allen brought his wife = he was ready to sign

Either money or her veto was the issue

There is just NO WAY that we offered more than Bennet accepted which makes it less than Chicago offered

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Do we want to be like Chicago? 44 million tied up in 2 linemen?

HawkWow

Reaction score
mikeak":jv0sy89q said:

There is just NO WAY that we offered more than Bennet accepted which makes it less than Chicago offered

It was said she "did not like the city (Seattle)". She apparently wanted her kids closer to the Gangster disciples and P-stone nation of Chi-town.

I spent many years in Chicago, and love the city, but if given the choice...well strike that, I was given the choice. I chose Seattle. No regrets and I would move back to Seattle (from Hawaii) if I could live the same lifestyle there as I do here. Arguably the best city in the United States and I am envious of those that reside there.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
hawksman53":3grj4j66 said:
On thinking this is a place that is now a DESTINATION team? I haven't heard one player besides Finley that has said he wants to come play for us? With the players leaving and anyone we have had intrest in going elsewhere it really dosent seem like it.

Don't say we....

chihawk

Reaction score
MVP53":14q12mbc said:

I believe Allen's wife is actually from Chicago and they got married in Chicago (heard it on the radio today).

King Dog

Reaction score
Hell yes. Posters were acting like FA's were going to be lining up to sign here in the off-season. lol
Literally no one has signed here except for our own players and a few guys that are just happy to have a job.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
mikeak":25ayewa1 said:

It was most likely raining "cats and dogs" at the time of his visit and his wife got depressed and put her foot down, "No way, Jerrod!" Then he saw our offer...."I'm ought of here"!

HawkWow

Reaction score
Chicago's weather is much worse than Seattle's. If she's from there, she should know as much. hotter than hell in the summer, colder than sh*t in the winter. There's like 3 good months of weather in the windy city...the other 9 kill people. And speaking of killing people, Chicago is a larger version of Detroit (if Detroit had money). 20-30 shootings is a good Friday night and it's also rife with disease. In those hotass summer months, you're taking your life in your hands if you go to the beach. Beach parks are now frequently closed because of low-lives pissing and crapping everywhere. Then you have the flash mob attacks and some of the most organized gangs in America. The bloods and Crips have nothing on the GDs, Vice Lords and Latin Kings when it comes to criminal organization. Chicago: A great place to be from.

sutz

Reaction score
I live in an analog world. Prior to winning a Super Bowl, Seattle was not often thought of as a place that you have a good shot at a ring.

Now that we have that first one, we are probably considered as having more of a chance to win another and might get some consideration from FAs when they're shopping for a roster spot.

But, much like the infamous "home town discount" meme, money and other matters like family situation will always weigh heavily in a player's decision making.

OffseasonChampions

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":14v04xz2 said:
DannyMcGwire":14v04xz2 said:
Not like players were signing with Denver for a discount.
Unlike us their window is 2 years maximum. They're all in. Funny thing is they haven't actually improved yet. They may have stayed the same but even that's debatable.
They might face some stiff competition in the offseason Super Bowl with Chicago getting that huge Cutler deal and now Allen. But unless Chicago has an amazing draft I see Denver taking the whole thing.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I think the discount is just worth WAY less than people think it is. In terms of Tate, for example, the rumored discount is way less gtd. and less overall. That 5/20 for Tate, if the offer was true, is kind of a "eh, we really don't want you back that bad "offer.

In terms of Allen, he probably thinks the Bears are good enough to maybe win it all next year plus they paid him more than we would have by a considerable margin. So when players say they'll play for less to win a ring, that "less" is probably in the hundreds of thousands in gtd. money, not the millions that some fans think it is.