Did we jump the gun a bit?

m0ng0

Reaction score
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/03/nba-ste ... etirement/

Its about the money for ALL players, and there is not a damn thing wrong with that. If you work for carls jr and mcdonalds offers you 3 bucks more an hour it does not matter if carls jr makes better burgers, you go where its most beneficial to your family. Football unlike your job and mine could end in a heartbeat, you have to do whats best for your family.......Check yourselves.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
OffseasonChampions":1fcse5ey said:
MizzouHawkGal":1fcse5ey said:
DannyMcGwire":1fcse5ey said:
Not like players were signing with Denver for a discount.
Unlike us their window is 2 years maximum. They're all in. Funny thing is they haven't actually improved yet. They may have stayed the same but even that's debatable.
They might face some stiff competition in the offseason Super Bowl with Chicago getting that huge Cutler deal and now Allen. But unless Chicago has an amazing draft I see Denver taking the whole thing.
Sorry to disappoint but it's New England's turn to be the NFC's whipping boy.

Escamillo

Reaction score
SeaTown81":zok17mzd said:
JonRud":zok17mzd said:
Have to agree with the original poster based on what has happened so far this off-season. As fans we want to believe players will come to Seattle just to have a chance to win a ring, but in reality it's about the money.

Yup. A lot of fans HIGHLY underestimate the importance of money to players. Extremely hypocritical, seeing as how most of them would never leave a relative sum of money on the table in their own line of work.

That and it's not as if the Seahawks are the only team players can go to if they are looking to win. Some fans act as if the Hawks are the only title contender in the league, and if players don't want to come here for less money, than they have no interest in winning. That's beyond obnoxious and myopic.

First, your charging people of hypocrisy might be projection on your part. Every day, thousands of people make a decision to work for less money than they could otherwise. My parents turned down multiple opportunities to move to other parts of the country for substantial pay increases, but ultimately decided they'd be happier where they were at. Jim Harbaugh himself turned down 7.5 million dollar per year offer to coach Miami and instead took the $5 million dollar per year offer from SF, because he wanted to stay in the Bay Area and thought SF was a better organization. It's "myopic and obnoxious" to assume that everyone always goes for the biggest pay check. It simply is not so.

two dog

Reaction score
I would rather be hitched to a team who was financially responsible than one
with the profligate spending habits of an inebriated seaman.

Jerry Jones has spent his team into its' currently untenable position. Others
appear to be proceeding along the same path.
"Hell", they were super bowl champion, their guys have gotta be better than ours".
"Gotta have more D-linemen so we can rotate. Some of them long corners too".

Tical21

Reaction score
1. We don't have the cap to overpay.
2. The only positions where we possibly could use starters are guard, tackle, and WR, and we seem to like who we have for pennies on the dollar.
3. Who did you want to come here that didn't?

JKent82

Reaction score
Players considered our lowball ball offers to play in Seattle. Remember the days where it took a major overpay just to get someone here? We're a destination.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
This is more likely to help us attract the top undrafted free agents as opposed to veteran free agents looking for a big pay day. Jared Allen seemed to do everything he could to sign here, but we just couldn't bridge the gap with the millions more in guaranteed money that was being offered by other teams. Undrafted free agents, on the other hand, are just looking to make a team. The Seahawks have to be one of the more desirable landing spots this year, as the top Super Bowl contender and with Pete's popularity and proven ethos of competition. And there should be a good opportunity to make the 53-man roster after losing ten players.

Alvin Bailey was one of the great undrafted pickups last year. He has a rare combination of power and athleticism. He played great in the jumbo package last year, starting the Super Bowl as our sixth linemen, and he could compete for the starting left guard position this year.

Benson Mayowa was another great undrafted pickup. We will see if he builds on the pass rushing potential he flashed in last year's preseason games. Chris Clemons was another undrafted, undersized DE who was a late bloomer and never had much production in college.

In fact, 21 of the 53 players on last season's active roster were undrafted.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Pete has successfully recruited great undrafted free agents in each of the last four years with some originally signing with other teams:

2010- Clint Gresham, Lemuel Jeanpierre, and Chris Maragos (although I don't think they actually signed until after the 2011 lockout).
2011- Doug Baldwin, Ricardo Lockette, Mike Morgan, and Jeron Johnson.
2012- Jermaine Kearse, DeShawn Shead, and Derrick Coleman.
2013- Alvin Bailey and Benson Mayowa.

23 total undrafted players saw playing time during the 2013 season.

seahawks08

Reaction score
Repeat Superbowl back to back is not easy. Players are making business decisions and there is no appetite for short term prove it deals. All the big names prefer playing time, they don't want to be treated as to compete again and be take a chance with young rookies. Players also like to join teams where they can make the most impact and be credited for it in their personal stats, that's the most important thing for continuing to be employed in the NFL.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawksman53":w26qhf5u said:
On thinking this is a place that is now a DESTINATION team? I haven't heard one player besides Finley that has said he wants to come play for us? With the players leaving and anyone we have had intrest in going elsewhere it really dosent seem like it.

"Destination Teams" are only attractive when the money is equal, or close.

NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE chooses to go to Detroit for anything, not even a vacation, let alone to live unless they're getting paid a LOT of money.

So is Seattle a great place to play in the NFL? Absolutely, but guys like Jared Allen are not going to come here for half of what other teams are offering. 10-15% less? Yes, now we're a destination team.

Largent80

Reaction score
As fans I think some jumped the gun because of watching the Hawks every year for so many years, and seeing this new regime rebuild and finally win a championship.

I think Allen wanted to come here but a combo of money and amount of playing time were important to him. Personally, I feel relieved we didn't spend the money on him...(even though the thought was good). A destination is the last thing most players look at.