Diggs Restructures

kidhawk

Reaction score
Looks like the start of training camp financial moves are being made. First Nwosu, now Diggs restructured his salary into bonus. Spotrac had his salary at just shy of $14 million. As a bonus, that means half will count now and half next year, saving roughly $ 7 million this year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Between this and Nwosu that freed up an estimated 12m. Could there be a big move coming? Or did they need the space for signing the draft picks?

I'd say definitely yes. Probably another D-lineman signing. Quite a few still on the market.

Or even a post training camp after final cuts trade or signing.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Between this and Nwosu that freed up an estimated 12m. Could there be a big move coming? Or did they need the space for signing the draft picks?
I'm not sure how contracts works with players hitting performance targets but i wonder if they have to keep enough space in their cap to potentially book the extra $10M+ if Geno plays well.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
I'm not sure how contracts works with players hitting performance targets but i wonder if they have to keep enough space in their cap to potentially book the extra $10M+ if Geno plays well.

The way performance bonuses work, is the NFL looks at the contract and if they consider a bonus likely to be earned then they count it now and if it's not earned, we get credit next season. If it's considered not likely to be earned then they don't count it now, but if it's earned, it goes against next season's cap.

Basically once a contract is approved, the cap hit is figured for the year. Any alterations for bonuses unaccounted for this year will be debited/credited next year.

At least that's my understanding.

Last edited:

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
The way performance bonuses work, is the NFL looks at the contract and if they consider a bonus likely to be earned then they count it now and if it's not earned, we get credit next season. If it's considered not likely to be earned then they don't count it now, but if it's earned, it goes against next season's cap.

Basically once a contract is approved, the cap hit is figured for the year. Any alterations due to bonuses met or unmet will be credited/debited from next year's cap.

At least that's my understanding.
Good info. I appreciate it.

And what a weird way of accounting for this.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Good info. I appreciate it.

And what a weird way of accounting for this.
My verbiage was a bit off in the second paragraph so I edited to adjust it but I see you had already quoted it. Just wanted to make you aware of the wording change. Doesn't change my intention, I just believe it makes it easier to understand

sutz

Reaction score
I think we need 5 million for draft picks and 4 million for practice squad and call ups, so not much room left after that.
Also nice to have a couple of mill going into the season to cover for injuries, etc.

Mick063

Reaction score
I'm guessing one of three things.

A trade in the works for another NT
OR
Cap room to add a future cap casualty NT (keeping the money as a cushion if a desirable NT fails to appear)
OR
Resign Shelby Harris

Last edited:

pmedic920

Reaction score
Regardless of the specifics and speculations.

I don’t see any negatives and consider this a good move/great news.

Having the flexibility can’t be a bad thing.