Disappointing Draft

chris98251

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":1w6dhcin said:
This is the most pessimistic and disgusting thread I've read at .net in a while.

So much whine and cheese, so much overreaction, so much negative people.

Two super bowls in a row? CHILLLAXXXXX BRUH! :179417:

Need to spend more time in the Shack or PWR forum, you will soon realize this is "yawn" typical for big days for the Seahawks, be it game day, Draft day or the Super Bowl.

Much more negative and disgusting threads to experience in those two Forums :)

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1mgatjsy said:
I just don't understand why people keep saying our drafts the last few years sucked so bad. How do you know?

We have a very good roster and it was going to be very difficult to make an impact on this team if you were a member of the last few drafts.

Boggles my mind the expectations and limited comprehension some here have.
Word!

rideaducati

Reaction score
The draft was disappointing because there weren't any big trades made in the first round. All in all it was quite boring just like always.

College football is awful most of the time and I can't imagine ANYONE watching enough of it to know all the players and where to rank them.

Fans that bag on Seahawks picks make me laugh. You are not the coach. You are not the GM. You are not a position coach. You don't have a team of QUALIFIED people watching film of EVERY player for you. You probably haven't even heard of the guy that you don't want and are comparing him to a guy whose highlight film impressed you. Once you find out a little bit on the player the Seahawks did draft, you watch a highlight film or two. You then compare that to the highlight film of the guy you wanted and assume that you know more than a guy that has probably watched EVERY SNAP of BOTH players and also knows more of what he is paid to look for than you do. It's rather comical.

I bet I know how to do your job better than you do.

Fade

Reaction score
---> :D <---- You see that

I'm a happy Seahawks fan.

I have been critical the last couple of days, because of the Tyler Lockett trade up, but I thought PCJS did a very good job on day 3 of the draft. I still wish they would of taken Grady Jarrett over Terry Poole. Grady Jarrett will be the steal of this draft, Dan Quinn will be lauded as a genius.

Draft Grades

Day 1 (A)

1st Jimmy Graham A

Day 2 (C)

2nd Frank Clark A or F (C) The true wildcard of this draft class.

3rd 4th 5th 6th Tyler Lockett C-

Day 3 (B+)

4th Terry Poole C
4th Mark Glowinski A+ Him and Grady Jarrett were the 2 players I would of been standing on the table for.
5th Tye Smith A
6th Obum Gwacham D+
6th Kristjan Sokoli A-
7th Ryan Murphy B

Overall I give the Seahawks a B+ and it clearly was a better draft in my mind then 2013 & 2014.

They still need big receivers on the outside to get off press coverage as predicted. PCJS tried to hype up Chris Matthews during their press conference which made me chuckle.

All in all a very Seahawky draft which is a good thing.

Big picture I love the approach Seattle are taking on the offensive line, cheap, rag tag, dirt bags. And it is pretty obvious Seattle isn't going to spend cap space on this position group going forward, opting to spend the money on the Defense, and Skill Guys which makes a lot of sense to me.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Fade":ljqlo0p7 said:

I have been critical the last couple of days, because of the Tyler Lockett trade up, but I thought PCJS did a very good job on day 3 of the draft. I still wish they would of taken Grady Jarrett over Terry Poole. Grady Jarrett will be the steal of this draft, Dan Quinn will be lauded as a genius.

Draft Grades

Day 1 (A)

1st Jimmy Graham A

Day 2 (C)

Day 3 (B+)

4th Terry Poole C
4th Mark Glowinski A+ Him and Grady Jarrett were the 2 players I would of been standing on the table for.
5th Tye Smith A
6th Obum Gwacham D+
6th Kristjan Sokoli A-
7th Ryan Murphy B

Overall I give the Seahawks a B+ and it clearly was a better draft in my mind then 2013 & 2014.

They still need big receivers on the outside to get off press coverage as predicted. PCJS tried to hype up Chris Matthews during their press conference which made me chuckle.

Big picture I love the approach Seattle are taking on the offensive line, cheap, rag tag, dirt bags. And it is pretty obvious Seattle isn't going to spend cap space on this position group going forward, opting to spend the money on the Defense, and Skill Guys which makes a lot of sense to me.

Watching Matthews play in the Super Bowl did the same to me. Seeing everyone that STILL thinks the Seahawks NEED another tall WR makes me chuckle too. Did you know that there are five wide receivers already on the Seahawks roster that are 6'2 or taller? Have you seen how they play yet? If you add in the four TEs over 6'5 and another at 6'3, I think you just might see enough tall targets already on the team.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Fade":258lt276 said:

Draft Grades

Day 1 (A)

1st Jimmy Graham A

Day 2 (C)

Day 3 (B+)

4th Terry Poole C
5th Tye Smith A
6th Obum Gwacham D+
6th Kristjan Sokoli A-
7th Ryan Murphy B

I agree totally with this, except for the Obum Gwacham grade, which seems a tad harsh. Gwacham is damn quick off the ball and uses his hands and long arms well to get around the outside. He could potentially develop into a weapon on 3rd downs with more maturation.

Fade

Reaction score
rideaducati":29zlcv4r said:
Fade":29zlcv4r said:

Draft Grades

Day 1 (A)

1st Jimmy Graham A

Day 2 (C)

Day 3 (B+)

4th Terry Poole C
5th Tye Smith A
6th Obum Gwacham D+
6th Kristjan Sokoli A-
7th Ryan Murphy B

Watching Matthews play in the Super Bowl did the same to me. Seeing everyone that STILL thinks the Seahawks NEED another tall WR makes me chuckle too. Did you know that there are five wide receivers already on the Seahawks roster that are 6'2 or taller? Have you seen how they play yet? If you add in the four TEs over 6'5 and another at 6'3, I think you just might see enough tall targets already on the team.

I will go receiver by receiver for those not understanding this point.

Doug Baldwin - not big or strong enough to play outside (shouldn't even be asked to.)
Jermaine Kearse - not strong or quick enough to consistently get off press coverage, should be a #4.
Tyler Lockett - see Doug Baldwin
Paul Richardson - see Doug Baldwin
Kevin Norwood - was a slot receiver at Alabama, because he struggled getting off press, has short arms.
Chis Matthews - He can. Possesses the size, strength, leaping ability, and strong hands required to consistently win, as long as its not against elite press corners like a Brandon Browner, Revis, etc. BUT... Still unproven
Ricardo Lockette - Special Teamer, too raw, should only be on the field as a receiver sparsely.

Tight Ends - Don't have the wiggle of a receiver to get off the jam, and they rarely lineup outside unless its against a linebacker, or they have a really small DB on them.

It is a weakness on the team, Seattle will address it as opportunities become available. These type of receivers don't grow on trees and that is why they go so quick in the NFL Draft. Seattle only had a shot at Jaelen Strong, and for the later rounds a project in Darren Waller.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Fade":2iavaouy said:
rideaducati":2iavaouy said:
Fade":2iavaouy said:

Draft Grades

Day 1 (A)

1st Jimmy Graham A

Day 2 (C)

Day 3 (B+)

4th Terry Poole C
5th Tye Smith A
6th Obum Gwacham D+
6th Kristjan Sokoli A-
7th Ryan Murphy B

Doug Baldwin - not big or strong enough to play outside (shouldn't even be asked to.)
Jermaine Kearse - not strong or quick enough to consistently get off press coverage, should be a #4.
Kevin Norwood - was a slot receiver at Alabama, because he struggled getting off press, has short arms.
Chis Matthews - He can. Possesses the size, strength, leaping ability, and strong hands required to consistently win, as long as its not against elite press corners like a Brandon Browner, Revis, etc. BUT... Still unproven
Ricardo Lockette - Special Teamer, too raw, should only be on the field as a receiver sparsely.

Tight Ends - Don't have the wiggle of a receiver to get off the jam, and they rarely lineup outside unless its against a linebacker, or they have a really small DB on them.

It is a weakness on the team, Seattle will address it as opportunities become available. These type of receivers don't grow on trees and that is why they go so quick in the NFL Draft. Seattle only had a shot at Jaelen Strong, and for the later rounds a project in Darren Waller.

Jimmy Graham is the Split End in this offense when he is not lined up in the slot. This is where he has done the damage throughout his career.

Fade

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3jad99w2 said:
Fade":3jad99w2 said:

Draft Grades

Day 1 (A)

1st Jimmy Graham A

Day 2 (C)

Day 3 (B+)

4th Terry Poole C
5th Tye Smith A
6th Obum Gwacham D+
6th Kristjan Sokoli A-
7th Ryan Murphy B

I agree totally with this, except for the Obum Gwacham grade, which seems a tad harsh. Gwacham is damn quick off the ball and uses his hands and long arms well to get around the outside. He could potentially develop into a weapon on 3rd downs with more maturation.

Obum Gwacham grade is low because I think he is the most likely to be cut, and the project is just too much.

The path for Obum to make it is he has to be a special teams star from the jump, and maybe he can develop into a Sam in 2 training camps.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Fade":3ilu6jbm said:
hawknation2015":3ilu6jbm said:
Fade":3ilu6jbm said:

Draft Grades

Day 1 (A)

1st Jimmy Graham A

Day 2 (C)

Day 3 (B+)

4th Terry Poole C
5th Tye Smith A
6th Obum Gwacham D+
6th Kristjan Sokoli A-
7th Ryan Murphy B

Obum Gwacham grade is low because I think he is the most likely to be cut, and the project is just too much.

The path for Obum to make it is he has to be a special teams star from the jump, and maybe he can develop into a Sam in 2 training camps.

When you're talking about a low 6th rounder, it would be difficult for any of those guys to make the team. Fortunately for him, we don't have a lot of LEO options right now outside of Frank Clark and perhaps using Irvin more there.

He has two of things you do look for in a LEO prospect: he's fast off the ball and he's active with his hands. That could be enough to get a look on 3rd downs or at least make the practice squad. Solid B/B- 6th Round pick.

Fade

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3ji8fynh said:
Fade":3ji8fynh said:
hawknation2015":3ji8fynh said:
Fade":3ji8fynh said:

Draft Grades

Day 1 (A)

1st Jimmy Graham A

Day 2 (C)

Day 3 (B+)

4th Terry Poole C
5th Tye Smith A
6th Obum Gwacham D+
6th Kristjan Sokoli A-
7th Ryan Murphy B

When you're talking about a low 6th rounder, it would be difficult for any of those guys to make the team. Fortunately for him, we don't have a lot of LEO options right now outside of Frank Clark and perhaps using Irvin more there.

He has two of things you do look for in a LEO prospect: he's fast off the ball and he's active with his hands. That could be enough to get a look on 3rd downs or at least make the practice squad. Solid B/B- 6th Round pick.

Avril under contract for 4 years
Clark under contract for 4 years
Irvin on 3rd down only 1 year left
Obum

He has no shot at Leo. Unless you think Frank Clark is a bust, and they give his reps to Obum.

Sam

Irvin only 1 year left
Mike Mo only 1 year deal
Obum

Nope his best chance is Sam

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Fade":3hewui0z said:
Obum

He has no shot at Leo. Unless you think Frank Clark is a bust, and they give his reps to Obum.

Sam

Irvin only 1 year left
Mike Mo only 1 year deal
Obum

Avril rushes from the opposite side in the nickel. I'm not sold yet on Clark. He is a SPARQ freak, but Obum looks faster off the ball and is more active with his hands, despite his lack of experience. I'm happy he will provide competition and depth.

If Irvin leaves, Wright would go back to Sam and KPL would play Will. Obum could possibly learn how to set the edge, play the run, and drop into coverage . . . That would be a pretty steep and ambitious learning curve for him.

That's good value for a low 6th rounder.

Fade

Reaction score
hawknation2015":14rxnzmv said:
Fade":14rxnzmv said:
Obum

Sam

Irvin only 1 year left
Mike Mo only 1 year deal
Obum

Avril rushes from the opposite side in the nickel. I'm not sold yet on Clark. He is a SPARQ freak, but Obum looks faster off the ball and is more active with his hands, despite his lack of experience. I'm happy he will provide competition and depth.

If Irvin leaves, Wright would go back to Sam and KPL would play Will. Obum could possibly learn how to set the edge, play the run, and drop into coverage . . . That would be a pretty steep and ambitious learning curve for him.

That's good value for a low 6th rounder.

Absolutely I agree KJ should sllde to Sam, and KPL to Will.

I am just trying to project a late round long shot that I don't think will make the team. (D+ grade)
Ever hear of Ty Powell & Benson Mayowa. Might as well lump Obum in with them right now as a DE.

Seattle's scheme is easy for Linebackers (see Bruce Irvin). 1 Gap, curl, and flat. That is it. He has a better chance there, but again it will all come down to special teams.

rideaducati

Reaction score
rideaducati":3mr9v5u7 said:
Fade":3mr9v5u7 said:

Chris Matthews beat Browner quite a bit in the Super Bowl. He wasn't thrown the ball every time, but he beat him. On a couple of the throws that Browner "defended", Russell was off target with the pass. Matthews will be fine.

Most people NOW consider Golden Tate to be a pretty good wide receiver and he took three years before he even saw the field. Don't discount the young guys just because they haven't seen the field yet. Richardson and Lockett were on college teams where they were the ONLY threat and they still tore up a BUNCH of teams almost single handed...even though their opponents KNEW that they were the only threat.

There are smaller wide receivers than Baldwin that play on the outside for their team that are considered SUPER STARS at their position just because their teams throw the ball more. Playing out wide DOES NOT require a wide receiver to be 6'3. If you just extrapolate Baldwin's stats with the targets that Antonio Brown (same size as Baldwin) got, Baldwin catches more passes for about the same amount of yards.

The weakness in regards to the Seahawks receiving corp was that they were all the same. With Matthews showing promise and a TE threat, the receivers that were already there should be facing the lesser corner which should make them look better.

rideaducati

Reaction score
The only thing that disappointed me in the draft was that the Seahawks didn't draft a backup QB. That remains the biggest weakness on the team.

Fade

Reaction score
rideaducati":2vfbigej said:
The only thing that disappointed me in the draft was that the Seahawks didn't draft a backup QB. That remains the biggest weakness on the team.

only 7 QBs were drafted in total, it was a weak class.

JimmyG

Reaction score
Ziggyy108":237bnj97 said:
I think you somewhat have to include Marcus Burley into grading this draft for the Hawks and probably even Jimmy Graham.
I don't think it makes sense to include Graham in our draft grades.

The draft is about evaluating talent and molding a prospect into an NFL player. Graham is already a complete NFL player, there's no evaluation to make.

The draft is about getting a cheap, cost-controlled player for 4-5 years. We've seen how bountiful the rewards are for hitting the jackpot in the draft (e.g. Russell Wilson being paid minimum wage). Graham does not fit that profile. We owe him $27 million over the next three years. We would've paid the 31st pick in the draft about $7M combined over the course of four years (plus had a fifth year option).

It's not a matter of saying, "would we have got a player of Graham's caliber with pick #31?" No, of course we wouldn't have. But that's ignoring the logistics of the situation. I love the Graham trade, but to me it should not be included in our draft grade.

Most outlets are giving us an "incomplete" grade, which I think is appropriate.