Disconcerting to say the least

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Preseason football is hard to watch and get any clear appreciation of how far along the team is in it's preparation for the year.

There were lots of very positive takeaways from this game and equally as many negatives, but all of those can be fixed.

Russell did not have a good outing and was off his usual mostly accurate self, lots of bad misses and missed opportunities. Wanted to see more from the passing game and know already the competition for the RB spots is over. Can't yet say who the #4, 5, 6 WRs are, but Baldwin, Lockett, and Kearse are 1,2, & 3. OLine looked much better at times but Bailey seems to have regressed, Ole'!!! Haven't seen much if anything from Willson and the backup TEs but then Bevell doesn't have much in his play book for them he's shown yet. Hope we see more there in the final game. Generally underwhelmed by the show from the O this game and so far in preseason.

Thought the D played acceptably well yet it is frustrating to watch the dunk and dunk. We may be seeing more of this until Pete and Coach Richard find some answers. There is some coaching needed in this area, and the LBs coverage of TEs needs to be worked on. Interesting to watch effective blitzing, maybe we will see more of that? Run D is solid, pass D looked generally otherwise pretty solid even without the real backfield starters for most of the game, suspect the LOB, when returned, will be even better than ever. The front seven looks incredibly solid and the depth is very strong. Really liked what I saw from Irvin, Clark, and Marsh in their limited roles. The D looks as if it will be better than it was last season and the depth is there to prevent many significant drop offs when the starters are out.

The special teams are going to be amazingly good this year if early indications are of any value. Ryan flips the field, coverage is strong, and once again the team has a return game, that return by Lockett was simply awesome, he's got jets. Any kicker that kicks a game winning 60 yard FG in my mind gets the game ball. Hauschka's leg appears much stronger this season. Am excited by what we've seen from the ST group this offseason.

Cuts to 75 tomorrow will cause the team to say goodbye for now to a few good players and even possibly a draft pick or two. In the past many of these guys get grabbed up by other teams which says lots about how good JS and his personnel guys are at finding talent. Often guys cut now seem to find their way back to the PS.

Generally though for me preseason football is frustrating to watch.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I hope TY McGill stays with the team. I like what I've seen from him. I also hope we are able to find some better OL personell from other teams cut downs? It's ridiculous to be living off of other teams rejects and converted defensive linemen but I don't see any other hope for upgrading our protection.

I also dont get why our passing game is by most accounts both accurate and explosive in practice yet performs so poorly in games. What changes? What gives? Any thoughts?

hawkfannj

Reaction score
hawkfan68":38hytpft said:
It's only preseason but the Seahawk offense has scored only 1 TD total in 3 games. I don't believe the stating offense has scored a TD in any of the games thus far. That is very concerning
This hits it on the head ! If it's "preseason" and every defense is playing "vanilla " why can't we score ? Should be relatively easy from what I'm reading ? :stirthepot:

lukerguy

Reaction score
Many keep bringing up the fact that "we didn't have Lynch in"..

That's fine. So we're good for one more year and then what? I am actually horrified to see this team without Lynch. He sets the tone for everything and neither Turbin nor Michael can come close to doing what he does.

StoneCold

Reaction score
It is disconcerting that a backup, Kirk Cousins, can go 20 for 27 and 190 yards against the Ravens, and Russell can only muster 7 for 15 and 56 yards. That is disconcerting.

That is all, carry on.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
brimsalabim":21uhekjy said:
I hope TY McGill stays with the team. I like what I've seen from him. I also hope we are able to find some better OL personell from other teams cut downs? It's ridiculous to be living off of other teams rejects and converted defensive linemen but I don't see any other hope for upgrading our protection.

I also dont get why our passing game is by most accounts both accurate and explosive in practice yet performs so poorly in games. What changes? What gives? Any thoughts?

The thought of Bailey at either tackle spot during the regular season is flat out scarey. If they can't find a backup tackle better than him after cuts begin, they're just not trying.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
StoneCold":37v0clxj said:
It is disconcerting that a backup, Kirk Cousins, can go 20 for 27 and 190 yards against the Ravens, and Russell can only muster 7 for 15 and 56 yards. That is disconcerting.

That is all, carry on.

When we look at his final two games in 2014, it becomes even more concerning still.

The Outfield

Reaction score
I think a lot of it comes down to Bevell. How can we not score nearly every drive with this group of players on the field?

And unfortunately, I think Pete is too nice of a guy to fire him seemingly out of nowhere. So we are stuck with Bevell until either we have a horrible season offensively or some other team hires him. And the latter is seeming less and less likely.

Atradees

Reaction score
We will start out slow offensively. This defense will be amazing because of the line. Rw will have to find rabbits in a hat to survive just like always.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Some observations watching tape again:

Gary Gilliam is a lock at right tackle. He possesses quick feet in the passing game and put his run blocking power on display. Excellent job.

Sweezy played much better and while his pass blocking isn't an art form, he looked dominant. I think Cable is going to run to the right a lot.

Drew Nowak showed a lot more power and looks a lot more comfortable. What I wanted to see is if he was nimble enough to get to the linebackers. He kept his pad level low and was much more effective. Like what I am seeing.

Alvin Bailey was putrid. He gave up the drive stalling sack on 3rd and 6. If Bailey blocks his man, Russell easily runs for the first down. Since Bailey is a backup, I am not as worried but maybe he should put the weight back on??? Disappointed!!

Justin Britt struggles with quicker D lineman. With him, he needs to have quicker hands because he wins the power battle. He was beaten a couple times on pass pro and still gets caught with his head down. Not sure how much of his struggles were related to Okungs absence. Took a minor step back but I feel good about his future there.

Jimmy Graham Terrible in blocking. Whiffed on his man at goal line and opening drive of game on 3rd and 1 when beast mode was stuffed. If he makes the block, easy first down.
He needs to get his pad level much lower and stop trying to win with just arms. He is a project so we will see.

McCoy whiffed on a block which also caused a punt because he was late getting out of his stance.

Russell Wilson is going to be challenged this year to be a pocket passer. The Hawks will be much better with pass pro but teams are going to concede him having more time to see if he can be consistant. Tonight he failed the test missing receivers. I am a little nervous about this.

Luke Willson is a underrated blocker. Made a beautiful pancake block on Baldwin screen. Hopefully he can rub off on Jimmy.

The oline really needs continuity and it sucks Okungs didn't play. That is why Britt grade is incomplete. Just need to play together longer.

Reserves on D who had a good game.

Jesse Williams was a force. I think he makes the team.

Cassius Marsh was very impressive.

Frank Clark blew up the center on Hill's sack. Man has unlimited potential.

Hill gets pushed back in running game but destroys lineman trying to pass block him. He needs to mix up his attack on the run.

McGill is another force in the middle. They are so deep at dine it's sick.

Scruggs played his best preseason game. Showed raw power and quickness. So many tough choices.

He isn't a reserve bu Mebane absolutely destroyed his man on Irvin's hands ro the face penalty near the goal line. Obvious holding refs didn't call.

The oline is going to be fine but Jimmy Graham has some work to do if they want him in the running game... he cost them a potential touchdown and a first down.... Russell needs to be more accurate in pocket, those were my biggest takeaways from the game.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Hawkpower":34u5afem said:
TwistedHusky":34u5afem said:
So based on what we have seen? Has the offense even looked good this preseason?

I am going to vehemently disagree with the "it's just preseason" mantra that people are desperately clinging to here.

For most of the winning run by the Seahawks (call it past 2 years), the Seahawks have been consistent in what they do in preseason. The offense gets out there for a few series, does well or dominates, and then we pull in the starters and then the team looks much more mortal.

This preseason, the team has looked terrible.

It was telling that not only were we blitzing in the preseason but we also kept Wilson out there that long. Of course he looked horrible no matter how long we kept him out there, but not sure he got a lot of help from that offensive line. Guys were in the backfield constantly.

The team has looked like crap. Even the defense, though I will say that line looks a little better now. The secondary is nowhere near the vise it was, and you can apparently run right up the gut against our d even as a middle of the road RB.

Now we have some time to fix things, but so far this team looks nothing like the team we had. And I get the whole preseason stuff, but when our starters were in - we still looked like a far below even pedestrian offense.

Nothing about the way we have seen this team plays inspires any confidence. We will see how the St. Louis game shakes out but so far, this is an unpleasant indicator.

Don't most teams trot out their first team offense for the first possession after halftime in Preseason game #3?

Your points are valid though, we never struggled this badly the last two years in preseason, at least to my recollection.

Yes, most do. He clearly doesn't know that but it is good to be educated about what other teams do so I'm sure he will now understand that.

Anthony!

Reaction score
I will say the same thing I have been saying until we get the entire #1 in a meaningful game I am not worrying, There is way to much tinkering on the oline, using less than 40% of the offense, trying different plays, and combinations, Wilson trying different things, getting use to Graham for me to worry about. I know some of you are saying Wilson has been off for a long time but that is not true. He had a great game against Carolina in the playoffs. The trouble started with GB and I think he just started doubting his Wrs when Kearse allowed 2+ ints off his hands. Now he is trying different things, getting use to Graham, etc. I think we will be fine. Like I said once we got past the 25 scripted plays last night we moved the ball pretty well. I think we will be fine

Seahawk

Reaction score
Yes, it's pre-season. I just wish Russell could aim better. His passing accuracy doesn't seem that great for a 4th year player.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Seahawk":1gq3gluk said:
Yes, it's pre-season. I just wish Russell could aim better. His passing accuracy doesn't seem that great for a 4th year player.

I do not totally disagree with you but again I thkn it is just trying different things. I mean Brady just had a game we he completed 53% of his passes, Luck just had 56%, Rodgers had a 57%. They all missed some they normally make, Its preseason nothing to worry about yet

StoneCold

Reaction score
Anthony!":2lz1eofz said:
Seahawk":2lz1eofz said:

I do not totally disagree with you but again I thkn it is just trying different things. I mean Brady just had a game we he completed 53% of his passes, Luck just had 56%, Rodgers had a 57%. They all missed some they normally make, Its preseason nothing to worry about yet

And the beat goes on.

I say we play our O starters in the 4th preseason game until they score a TD. If they don't? Fire them all and make some cap room for Kam. We can run a bunch of second and third stringers on O who can average 3 field goals a game and with this D we'll still get to the SB.

Latest posts