DK - interesting. Extend him!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Are you going to pay him 20M+ per year?

Front line starting WR money is no joke.

massari

Reaction score
I'd rather have $24M APY to spend on a free agent or two + 2 1sts over DK. Hawks need picks to make up for the horrendous Adams trade.

nanomoz

Reaction score
It's only going to get more expensive as time passes. Wait until DaVante gets a new contract.

sdog1981

Reaction score
The Rams are paying over 30 million for Cupp and Woods
The Chiefs are paying over 30 million for Kelce and Hill

Lockett is getting paid 10 million in 2022 and it jumps to 17 million in 2023. So getting DK around that 20 million number would not be hard and the team would be around that 30 million mark for two playmakers.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Looks like something will have to give. Would love to keep him.

Fade

Reaction score
DK is looking at getting 25-30M APY.

The smart move would be to play out his rookie deal, franchise tag & trade.

They need to invest in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
We could trade him for a couple 1sts and save 25 million a year.

So, DK for a couple James Carpenters and a couple Greg Olson's

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1wkss526 said:
Are you going to pay him 20M+ per year?

Front line starting WR money is no joke.

You inevitably have to pay for talent. Star WR's with his size/speed don't grow on tree's.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":1p7o0vkq said:

Great point! We could save the money and sign 4 Kerry Hyder's. Excited for JS to think thats the path forward.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Remember that an extension for DK will include his cheap last rookie year and also be very backloaded. So he will probably be a bargain in '22 and '23, fairly paid in '24 and then expensive in '25 and '26. If you think this FO's horizon is three years or less then they're going to want to hang onto him rather than trading him.

Those worried about Russ/Lockett/DK soaking up so much of our cap have a legitimate concern, but consider that the two high look everybody wants to play against them is fantastic for our running game. Look at how effective it was at times this season behind Carson and Penny despite the criticism surrounding our OL.

Also, part of the benefit of our outside zone scheme is that we don't need a line full of Quenton Nelsons to be productive. Pocic, Haynes and Curhan were getting it done in the Cardinals game for a combined price tag of $3m.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
AgentDib":205ky60l said:
Those worried about Russ/Lockett/DK soaking up so much of our cap have a legitimate concern, but consider that the two high look everybody wants to play against them is fantastic for our running game. Look at how effective it was at times this season behind Carson and Penny despite the criticism surrounding our OL.

Good point - although when i think when i want to spend 40MM on a running game, do I want a 40MM dollar running back (if such a thing existed) or do i want 2 X 20MM receivers taking the pressure off.

If it's me, I'm taking the running back - but if you're not gonna fix the OL concerns - well - i guess either might work ;)

But, I think you make a good point. It's not 'just' about the position in question, sometimes it's how you fit into the matrix too.

John63

Reaction score
What we do with Dk could go a long way into what happens with Wilson, Everett, Brown, Dunlap, Diggs and others.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Fade":x59bxmaj said:

I'd be curious to see what you think about the DK/Lockett/Russ thing. You think they're a package? 'cause you can't tag all of 'em -

Just wondering - I totally agree that DK only, that's the hardass way to play it - but what if you want to keep the whole band together?

Other than that - if I was dealing with an 'individual' - totally how I would consider going.

Fade

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2fg3h7nn said:
XxXdragonXxX":2fg3h7nn said:

Great point! We could save the money and sign 4 Kerry Hyder's. Excited for JS to think thats the path forward.

Aim a bit higher. Like Terron Armstead, Brandon Scherff, Brian Allen, Chandler Jones, etc.

The game is won and lost in the trenches.

It's much easier to find a WR in the draft for this organization than it is for them to find high end OL talent and top flight pass rushers.

The Seahawks roster is very imbalanced as a whole with most of the draft capital and $$$ going to LBers, Safeties, and if DK got paid, WR.

The Seahawks need to start shifting resources to the D-Line & O-Line or they will continue to stay the same at best or in all likelihood get worse.

Cut/Trade Wagner, Trade DK a year from now, move on from Jamal Adams when it financially makes sense (not this year), and reload with studs upfront, not stopgap JAGs as they've been doing for years now, and become a dominant team again.

KinesProf

Reaction score
You draft players in the hopes that they develop into Pro Bowl calibre talents worthy of sizable 2nd contracts.

Get back to building around your home grown studs, and away from bringing in dissatisfied stars from elsewhere in exchange for excessive compensation.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Fade":21mx8otk said:
ImTheScientist":21mx8otk said:
XxXdragonXxX":21mx8otk said:

Aim a bit higher. Like Terron Armstead, Brandon Scherff, Brian Allen, Chandler Jones, etc.

It's much easier to find a WR in the draft for this organization than it is for them to find high end OL talent and top flight pass rushers.

The Seahawks roster is very imbalanced as a whole with most of the draft capital and $$$ going to LBers, Safeties, and if DK got paid, WR.

The Seahawks need to start shifting resources to the D-Line & O-Line or they will continue to stay the same at best or in all likelihood get worse.

Cut/Trade Wagner, Trade DK a year from now, move on from Jamal Adams when it financially makes sense (not this year), and reload with studs upfront, not stopgap JAGs as they've been doing for years now, and become a dominant team again.

That's nice in theory. But if you trade DK it is essentially for lottery picks. Do you trust this front office to successfully turn those picks into "studs upfront"?

chris98251

Reaction score
Fade":y5ybzt9o said:
ImTheScientist":y5ybzt9o said:
XxXdragonXxX":y5ybzt9o said:

Why cut all those players, cutting Wilson will get you there and you only lose one player then.................

Fade

Reaction score
ddores":2vui6i7s said:
Fade":2vui6i7s said:

I'd be curious to see what you think about the DK/Lockett/Russ thing. You think they're a package? 'cause you can't tag all of 'em -

Just wondering - I totally agree that DK only, that's the hardass way to play it - but what if you want to keep the whole band together?

Other than that - if I was dealing with an 'individual' - totally how I would consider going.

Their contracts expire in different seasons, so their is no worries about having to tag them all. I don't think they are a package either, it's a business.

Keeping them all together at the prices they command is the problem. Paying them all is approx. $80M APY. Taking up 40% of the cap with 3 players that are part of the passing game on a running team… It makes no sense.

The Logic is:

Lockett is already paid at much less than what DK will get, and Wilson is more comfortable with him anyway.

DK is a freak athlete, but relies more on athleticism to win, struggles to catch the ball outside of his frame and in contested situations, was injury prone in college, played with an injury all last season, I don't trust he will stay healthy once he gets paid. His agent will be asking for top dollar, which right now is $27M APY {Hopkins}, and will be surpassed by Davante Adams, who I am sure will be looking for $30M APY.

If DK was Randy Moss I would say pay him, but he isn't. And in 3 years I haven't seen the development as a WR that would project he will ever be on that level. He is what he is at this point.

Trade him in a season, reload upfront with $25M+ additional APY to work with, use the picks to get moar WRs.

Fade

Reaction score
KinesProf":qrb1x1g4 said:
Fade":qrb1x1g4 said:
ImTheScientist":qrb1x1g4 said:
XxXdragonXxX":qrb1x1g4 said:

That's nice in theory. But if you trade DK it is essentially for lottery picks. Do you trust this front office to successfully turn those picks into "studs upfront"?

NO. I trust them to draft WRs. I'd be going after the top free agent OL & DL in Free Agency with the freed up money.