DK Metcalf makes 1 handed catch look easy

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":31u7jsbr said:
So he couldn't make that catch w/out the gloves? And you know this how?
Jerry Rice was the best of all time, wore gloves every game. I guess he was only good because of those gloves :lol:
You're absolutely correct. There have been absolutely no advances in materials technology since that time, so the impact of gloves is exactly the same as it was in 1985. The technological revolution that began in the 80s with the explosion of the availability of computing power impacted every industry on the planet except glove production.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I just think it's funny that's all. Players have been using stickum and sticky gloves for years. It's called sarcasm, Rice is the best to ever play the game, had nothing to do with gloves. Nor will it have to do with gloves overall if DK is a beast in this league. ODB, he's a beast because he's a beast. And yes, he wears sticky gloves. You still have to have the talent, hand eye coordination etc. And Rice flat out SAID he put stickum on his gloves back in the day.

toffee

Reaction score
sutz":1rh3n2ld said:
From what I've been reading, Metcalf's only 'route tree problem' is that he didn't run enough different routes in games to develop a good feel of how good he is on the shorter/intermediate routes. That tends to happen in college, where coaches find something that works and keep going back to it.

I've read some comments that DK is doing fine so far running different routes in the rookie camp and the first couple of OTAs. We'll know better when they put pads on, of course, but I'm not ready to write him off as a one trick pony just yet.

I suspect training with coach Sullivan helped too.

Pete is trying him out even as a punt or was it kick return ... so guessing Pete will give him all kinds of opportunities. DK is after all that tall big fast WR that Pete has been looking for since he joined the Hawks.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Keep watching that ball in the whole way, your whole career and you'll be just fine, DK!

sutz

Reaction score
toffee":24hz02yu said:
sutz":24hz02yu said:
From what I've been reading, Metcalf's only 'route tree problem' is that he didn't run enough different routes in games to develop a good feel of how good he is on the shorter/intermediate routes. That tends to happen in college, where coaches find something that works and keep going back to it.

I've read some comments that DK is doing fine so far running different routes in the rookie camp and the first couple of OTAs. We'll know better when they put pads on, of course, but I'm not ready to write him off as a one trick pony just yet.

I suspect training with coach Sullivan helped too.

Pete is trying him out even as a punt or was it kick return ... so guessing Pete will give him all kinds of opportunities. DK is after all that tall big fast WR that Pete has been looking for since he joined the Hawks.
Pete likes versatile guys that can do more than one thing well. If all DK could do is run go routes, I suspect Pete would have passed on him. ;)

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt. I love listening to guys like Largent and Rice talk about their approach to playing the game, what the would look for etc.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
DomeHawk":rg3c48z3 said:
Was watching a program where they noted that the type of rubberized gloves receivers wear now is a significant contributor of the one-handed catch these days that receivers in the past didn't have.
They just used stick'um, lol. Jerry Rice even admitted to it.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Who was that Raider that had Stickum on his gloves, and down his forearm? Biletknikoff? I remember hearing an announcer say that opposing players would complain that it would get all over them when they tackled him.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Our route trees are just about the most basic in professional football so if that’s his weaknesses then we should be his best possible fit. Russell will need to take some chances with his throws though and give DK opportunities to make plays and there is always some risk throwing to rookies.

Seahawker86

Reaction score
This guy has the potential to take this offense to the next level in the passing game that we, quite frankly, haven't seen. We've been gushing over getting a true #1 WR for God knows how long. He get be a top tier talent if he can stay healthy. RW can throw any kid of ball we know this. Looking forward to seeing what this guy can really do

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
kthebestwayw":1tkjnmy3 said:
This guy has the potential to take this offense to the next level in the passing game that we, quite frankly, haven't seen. We've been gushing over getting a true #1 WR for God knows how long. He get be a top tier talent if he can stay healthy. RW can throw any kid of ball we know this. Looking forward to seeing what this guy can really do

The problem is that while Russ can throw any ball, my perception (without a lot of film) is that he doesn't throw players open often. PC's aversion to turnovers means risky, tight-window throws don't happen. Jump balls to Metcalf, though? Like the ones thrown to Kearse at times? Yes, please!

D

DomeHawk

sutz":3us5lv7d said:

He may end up the best WR ever for all I know but there was a reason all 32 teams passed on him the entire first AND second round. To suggest that the scouts didn't know what they were talking about is just silly, yes, they miss it sometimes but every one they miss they are spot on with scores of players.

Saying that he may have shortcomings that have been well noted is a long way from writing him off, I am totally rooting for him, gawd knows we need top receivers.

sutz

Reaction score
DomeHawk":2oecyq26 said:
sutz":2oecyq26 said:

He may end up the best WR ever for all I know but there was a reason all 32 teams passed on him the entire first AND second round. To suggest that the scouts didn't know what they were talking about is just silly, yes, they miss it sometimes but every one they miss they are spot on with scores of players.

Saying that he may have shortcomings that have been well noted is a long way from writing him off, I am totally rooting for him, gawd knows we need top receivers.
Well, the NFL is cyclical and I suspect we're in a phase where WR is not viewed as necessarily a 1st Rd value pick by a lot of teams. A few years ago it was RBs, there was a time when LBs were not highly valued. Any position group other than QB and pass rusher seems to change in perceived value from year to year. IIRC this year was not touted as particuarly deep at WR, but better at DL and pass rushers.

IAE, no player is immune from criticism TBS. Losing ADB is a big blow, so I think we all hope DK can fill in for that position group as soon as possible.

chris98251

Reaction score
DomeHawk":cukni63k said:
sutz":cukni63k said:

Yeah I guess there was a reason they passed on this guy and this guy also, those GM's on other teams are never wrong.

Chris Carson vikings 620

Ussellwilsongetty0731ftr 878g4n5d4vqw1fmr3fkb043bz

ap_cardinals_seahawks_football_77605196.jpg

kamchancellor.jpg

NFC+Championship+San+Francisco+49ers+v+Seattle+gk-E51g_Sdzx.jpg

12d8559c bba3 11e5 bb8b a7093b4eb0b4 780x735

Gua6wTJQ_400x400.jpg

Thats off the top of my head, I would say thats more then sometimes and thats just our team.

toffee

Reaction score
Him too, but to fair, most low rounders or undrafters don't make it in the league.

C86a0285763628f4f09312b48bf7f0d2 crop north

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Look at all those guys the Hawks got "lucky" on picking in later rounds. If other teams make those picks, they are great at talent evaluation. But many will claim that it's pure Luck that the Hawks picked those guys. :?

JGreen79

Reaction score
toffee":3nnn5d03 said:
Him too, but to fair, most low rounders or undrafters don't make it in the league.

C86a0285763628f4f09312b48bf7f0d2 crop north

Would have been funny if that would have been 6047 instead of 6043. The way it's written on that board almost looks like it said GOAT

D

DomeHawk

SoulfishHawk":2xssrzke said:
Look at all those guys the Hawks got "lucky" on picking in later rounds. If other teams make those picks, they are great at talent evaluation. But many will claim that it's pure Luck that the Hawks picked those guys. :?

A fair evaluation would be that it was a combination of luck and skill. Those guys were the perfect storm of late round draft picks. I think our staff is pretty good at picking guys but they aren't the geniuses many here believe them to be. How many "great" players have they drafted in late rounds in the last five years?

The formula is to get as many draft picks as you can so you can increase your odds of hitting on a couple of them. Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't. It isn't a perfect science.