DK!!!!!! PICK 64 ROUND 2 DK METCALF WR OLE MISS

Rat

Reaction score
Largent80":2u4mtooa said:
I don't get the high bust potential OR the hate. This guy is BIG and has elite speed. That's a combination we have been looking for since 1976.

You don't get the high bust potential? Why would a wideout with that kind of size/speed profile in a passing league last until the 64th pick otherwise? Shouldn't half the league have been drooling over him? Not like it was a crazy good WR class either; it was as weak at the top as we've seen in some time.

I get liking him, I do too, but not recognizing that he's a hell of a boom or bust prospect seems strange.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Snohomie":3mtt5la9 said:
I was doing to do a series of posts in the draft forum on WRs, but then grad school laughed at me for thinking I'd have that much free time.

Anyways, the one player I got to actually writing about was DK. This (except for the last paragraph) was done when most mocks had DK in the top-10.

Note: Combine Information taken from this awesome Google Doc:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... /htmlview#

D.K. Metcalf, Ole Miss
6’3 3/8 228lbs 9 7/8 H

Kent Lee Platte's RAS Combine Scores
40-yard dash: 4.33 seconds 9.90 (TWR3 of 37)
Bench Press: 27 reps 9.97 (TWR1 of 42)
Vertical Jump: 40.5 inches 9.69 (TWR3 of 42)
Broad Jump: 134 inches 9.92 (WR5 of 42)
3-cone drill: 7.38 seconds 1.04 (WR27 of 29)
20-yard shuttle: 4.50 seconds 1.00 (WR30 of 33)

After putting on a ridiculous (that’s really the correct word for being 90th percentile in every explosive drill and 10th percentile in the fluidity drills) combine, Metcalf is generally considered the top WR in most mock drafts. He’s also the first WR I sat down to evaluate. He left school after his rSo season, having suffered a broken foot in his freshman season (cost him 10 games) and a neck injury in 2018 (cost him 5 games).

Pros: He’s one of the SPARQ-iest WRs you’ll ever see (a ridiculous 139.7 rating). Huge, both tall and in bulk, looks like you could sneak him into the linebackers meeting room and nobody would notice. Great wingspan and solid hand size. Pretty explosive off the line (elite for his size) with elite deep speed. Eats up cushion and gets behind cornerbacks. Tracks the deep ball well and can make tough catches (sometimes). Several releases to get open vs press. Has some creativity in his deep routes – sells the threat of the comeback or post when getting vertical. Basically, he’s really good at getting open deep. Willing to fight for jump balls and wins there, good timing to high point and can move defenders with his strength. Can use his speed to set up comebacks and curls.

Cons: Probably the least variety I’ve seen in a route tree - very rarely ran an inside breaking route against man coverage. The 3-cone drill is so off-the-charts terrible that I wonder if the Ole Miss coaching staff just said “don’t let D.K. run inside routes”. Multiple drops in 4 games, some body catching but not great hands in general. He’s solid at deep balls, but with his size you’d expect him to win more often. Disinterested blocker in most circumstances, has a habit of watching the run rather than blocking for the runner. Not a great RAC guy – speed will get him some chunk plays, but doesn’t show a ton of wiggle or creativity.

Fit with the Seahawks: Seattle loves to throw deep and Metcalf should be elite at that part of the game. He’s going to create space for underneath routes because you can’t expect a corner to run with him all game, demanding safety help. He didn’t show a lot of consistency on scramble drills, but there were a couple times when his man got out of position and Metcalf just exploded to leave him in the dust. With his build, he should be a great blocker, but it appears to be an effort/willingness issue.

Overall view:
The combination of injuries, lack of evidence to suggest he can run short routes, hands, and mediocre blocking/YAC worry me a lot when some project superstardom for Metcalf. He seems like he will be a very useful starter, but it’s really hard to be a star WR based purely on prowess running vertical routes, especially since Metcalf doesn’t have Randy Moss level hands. I’m also having David Boston flashbacks (Boston basically body-built himself out of the league), Metcalf has already had injuries to two areas (feet/neck) that make me wonder how his body feels about supporting that kind of size. Still, his ability to get open deep will be valuable even if he can't put everything together.

Now that he’s a Seahawk: There’s a lot to like, and if Baldwin is really approaching the end of his career, selecting Metcalf enables Lockett to take over a lot of Doug’s slot snaps while Metcalf plays the “go deep” role to clear up space. At 64, it’s a lot easier to focus on what he can do (run deep and scare the piss out of DBs) than what he may never be able to do (develop into a well-rounded WR that can handle 130 targets a season).

Welcome back Snohomie! Great analysis :2thumbs:

Largent80

Reaction score
Rat":38gtylt8 said:
Largent80":38gtylt8 said:
I don't get the high bust potential OR the hate. This guy is BIG and has elite speed. That's a combination we have been looking for since 1976.

You don't get the high bust potential? Why would a wideout with that kind of size/speed profile in a passing league last until the 64th pick otherwise? Shouldn't half the league have been drooling over him? Not like it was a crazy good WR class either; it was as weak at the top as we've seen in some time.

I get liking him, I do too, but not recognizing that he's a hell of a boom or bust prospect seems strange.

Hahaha...ok... He's gonna bust ..we will revisit this topic.

Rat

Reaction score
Largent80":1g55invp said:
Rat":1g55invp said:
Largent80":1g55invp said:

Hahaha...ok... He's gonna bust ..we will revisit this topic.

Yeah, that's what I said :roll:

JGreen79

Reaction score
Snohomie":s4b1rqjm said:
pittpnthrs":s4b1rqjm said:
getnasty":s4b1rqjm said:
Him coming into the meeting with his shirt off and Pete doing the same is classic.

I'm bothered by this. Makes me question this guys sanity and intelligence. Who in their right mind would do something like that? Being introduced to your new head coach and you show off your ego and lack of couth. I'm not a fan.

Seahawks scouts talked him into doing this at the combine (not post-draft). It wasn't something DK just decided to do on a lark.

I was a bit worried at first too until I saw he was asked, basically to mess with Pete and John. I read somewhere that he doesnt like a lot of pictures with his shirt off being out there. He mentioned not wanting his future wife to ask why he was showing off so much or something like that.

toffee

Reaction score
Rat":3pq2lzho said:
Largent80":3pq2lzho said:

remember TO? That allpro, pro bowl, HOF dude? Tall muscular fast 3rd round pick TO?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rat

Reaction score
toffee":16e8d1dx said:
Rat":16e8d1dx said:
Largent80":16e8d1dx said:

remember TO? That allpro, pro bowl, HOF dude? Tall muscular fast 3rd round pick TO?

Did the exception become the rule? I guess I can't bring up Dorial Green-Beckham then, since all players of that description are Terrell Owens. Or Stephen Hill. Or any of the others.

Not that I even said Metcalf couldn't be good, just that there is considerable bust potential. I'm surprised that someone who was ripping on him in the draft forum before the pick doesn't recognize that.

chris98251

Reaction score
toffee":3p9cshbe said:
Rat":3p9cshbe said:
Largent80":3p9cshbe said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T.O. was a physical freak but not considered fast. 40-yard dash time: 4.45 seconds not slow but not a screamer either.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
I love and hate this pick at the same time.

If he buys into the program and soaks up all the information given to him, I think he could be very successful.

If he buys into his own hype and skates he is going to suck.

Personally I see a guy that can take the top off a defense and open up the offense for other guys which is equally important.

Largent80

Reaction score
Don't over think it. The guy is ripped, can block like a bulldozer. Can go up and make a great catch. Hard to dislike the pick unless you over starched your underwear.

chris98251

Reaction score
Largent80":ffg1gdv4 said:
Don't over think it. The guy is ripped, can block like a bulldozer. Can go up and make a great catch. Hard to dislike the pick unless you over starched your underwear.

Well we hedged our bet a bit also.

Jazz Ferguson
Northwestern State Demons · #1 · WR

as a UDFA has skills but a bit of a problem with Grades and a Drug situation a few years back, but production size and speed.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Largent80":37xwx560 said:
Exactly. :2thumbs:

edogg23

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":xmnm2t5y said:
Hate this pick with every fiber of my being. He’s nowhere near as good as people think he is. Just a combine warrior and we got suckered into taking him because better WR’s were taken.

Loved the first two picks but this one :puke:
I have a strong feeling you are about to be in even more people’s signatures for years to come with this gem.

edogg23

Reaction score
People are excited about his speed but what I am most excited about is his YAC. Terrell Owens was just about impossible to bring down with a corner. I see the same in DK. He is a beast.

irfuben32

Reaction score
Darrell Bevel announces Metcalf will be converted to blocking tight end

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
I'm in the fence with this pick. I don't love it, but I don't hate it. I do really believe he has one of the highest, if not the highest ceiling of all the WRs his class. Aside from his agility drills, his measurables and combine numbers are off the charts. But then you look at his injury history and lack of college production she it's a red flag. Time will tell. I will say, I'm much more excited about the other 3 WRs they picked up today, Jennings, Ursua, and Ferguson.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
I don't get this talk of him being a "huge bust". At the 64th overall pick, "huge bust" is just not possible. "Disappointment" sure, but "huge bust" needs to be a top-10 overall pick, otherwise you're not risking enough draft capital for it to be a huge anything. He was the 11th-ranked draft prospect, and we got him at #64. That's "stupid not to" territory.

Additionally, he was part of a trade tangle that requires some unravelling. We got the pick from the Patriots for the 77 pick and 118 picks. We got the 77 for trading 10 places down in the 2nd with the Panthers, and we got the 118 as the 2nd of our two 4th-round picks from the Giants in exchange for moving down 9 places in the first round. So we still had a first-round pick, we still had a 2nd-round pick, and we got Metcalf AND a 4th that became both Jennings and Homer as the "extra" picks for trading down.

So in terms of real draft capital cost, he came as the toy surprise in the cereal box. There's no investment there to call him a bust.

toffee

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":x74351vf said:
I don't get this talk of him being a "huge bust". At the 64th overall pick, "huge bust" is just not possible. "Disappointment" sure, but "huge bust" needs to be a top-10 overall pick, otherwise you're not risking enough draft capital for it to be a huge anything. He was the 11th-ranked draft prospect, and we got him at #64. That's "stupid not to" territory.

Additionally, he was part of a trade tangle that requires some unravelling. We got the pick from the Patriots for the 77 pick and 118 picks. We got the 77 for trading 10 places down in the 2nd with the Panthers, and we got the 118 as the 2nd of our two 4th-round picks from the Giants in exchange for moving down 9 places in the first round. So we still had a first-round pick, we still had a 2nd-round pick, and we got Metcalf AND a 4th that became both Jennings and Homer as the "extra" picks for trading down.

So in terms of real draft capital cost, he came as the toy surprise in the cereal box. There's no investment there to call him a bust.

This

chris98251

Reaction score
If he hits it will be like the hit Edgar made with Griffey rounding third for the score.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I don't think I've posted in this one. Definitely didn't read through a likely noise because this pick just made too much sense. The idea is perfect. We run a lot of deep paterns out of PA and our running game, along with this dude run block destroying corners, will be almost a made for each other kind of symbiosis with this dude's obvious vertical proficiency.

I'm not sure what there is to talk about.