DL Positions - Starters basically sort of set.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Dion Jordan, Naz Jones, Jarran Reed and Frank Clark are a decent four but we all know that Pete would rather be rotating through 7 guys and previous depth like Jefferson, Smith and Jackson are all unsigned at the moment. My preference is that we stay away from UFAs and that means re-signing our own. Maybe that's Richardson.

Speaking of Richardson, has anybody here bothered to watch the all-22 for his impact in the run game yet? At the time it felt like our run defense was much less stout with him in the game but all I've really seen so far is speculation and very incomplete stats.

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Richardson basically quit towards the end of the season when it looked like the playoffs were in question and he was subbed off the field on almost all run downs on favor of Smith.

He was a quitter in NY and he was a quitter here. People are absolutely insane for wanting him back. His character is about as tough as dog ish.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
AgentDib":2p20kdii said:
Dion Jordan, Naz Jones, Jarran Reed and Frank Clark are a decent four but we all know that Pete would rather be rotating through 7 guys and previous depth like Jefferson, Smith and Jackson are all unsigned at the moment. My preference is that we stay away from UFAs and that means re-signing our own. Maybe that's Richardson.

Speaking of Richardson, has anybody here bothered to watch the all-22 for his impact in the run game yet? At the time it felt like our run defense was much less stout with him in the game but all I've really seen so far is speculation and very incomplete stats.

I prefer incomplete stats over speculation, which is all there is in the post immediately preceding this one.

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":34lb1ljs said:
AgentDib":34lb1ljs said:

I prefer incomplete stats over speculation, which is all there is in the post immediately preceding this one.
Did you or did you not SEE his lack of effort and the video evidence of him coming off the field for Garrison Smith where run defense immediately improved?

If you didn't, I can see why you would default to a spreadsheet...

adeltaY

Reaction score
PFF had him at #27 interior defender with a 83.8 and Bleacher Report had him as the #7 defensive tackle this year. Corbin Smith has a good quick video breakdown for Sheldon reviewing his 2017 and spoke well of him. I don't think he was the game wrecker we wanted him to be, but saying he was worse than Naz sounds ridiculous to me.

original poster

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3kqf8ehj said:
And you'd be a fool to have Richardson in place on Naz on any down. Richardson is flat out not as good as Naz.

Can you elaborate on this please? I'm high on Naz Jones, really high, and keen to hear your justification that he is better than Sheldon.

FYI - I firmly disagree, but more than happy to be listen to 'the other side'.

Hawks46

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2ibbvnfq said:
Jerhawk":2ibbvnfq said:
Seymour":2ibbvnfq said:
I agree on Richardson. Another locker room / character issue guy with too many periods of disappearance.

Some team will overpay him, and it won't be us.

Spot on. I do not understand the love for Richardson on this board.

That might be because you don't look at stats. 36 pressures, 22 run stops with no missed tackles, multiple turnovers, all while transitioning from a 3-4 system.

All while being double teamed that majority of the time. Richardson is a guy that makes everyone else on the DL better because you can't leave him one on one.

As for locker room issues, the only thing I'm hearing and seeing are from the Jets. This is a different environment with different team mates. I go off of what I see and hear here, and that is nothing so far.

But hey, if we want to theorize and throw supposition out there.....Wilkerson also just got released. Also for poor behavior and locker room issues. Maybe it's the culture of the Jets. Maybe it was having a couple of trouble makers feeding off of each other.

Either way, I don't worry about Richardson's attitude. I agree with one of the above posters in that the Seahawks likely don't dump Bennett unless they have an understanding with Richardson. He's younger and more athletic and talented than Bennett while both play a very similar style.

checkdanews

Reaction score
Seymour":3mjyh6h1 said:
hawknation2018":3mjyh6h1 said:
Seymour":3mjyh6h1 said:
I agree on Richardson. Another locker room / character issue guy with too many periods of disappearance.

Some team will overpay him, and it won't be us.

Now Richardson is a "locker room / character issue."

LOL.

A good education is important.... :roll:

https://thejetpress.com/2017/05/26/new-york-jets-sheldon-richardson-locker-room-toxic/

Since the Jets drafted him, Richardson has endured legal troubles. He has shown up late to team events. He made a derogatory comment about women. He has publicly insulted his then-teammate Marshall on multiple occasions. And for carrying all his baggage, Richardson rewarded the Jets with an “impressive” 1.5 sack season in 2016.

So because he had issues with the Jets, he must be a locker room problem here? The garbage fire jets at that! Richardson put himself in the middle of so many big plays. Specially towards the end of the season.

Can you talk to other people without being a jerk? He didn't insult you, but you question his education. How insecure do you have 2 be? Did he seriously hurt your feelings by saying "lol". Smh

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
original poster":2n3schaa said:
vin.couve12":2n3schaa said:
And you'd be a fool to have Richardson in place on Naz on any down. Richardson is flat out not as good as Naz.

Can you elaborate on this please? I'm high on Naz Jones, really high, and keen to hear your justification that he is better than Sheldon.

I don’t think worse is the right word. Naz is more stout against the run and made some insane plays in his own right. Naz is much more physically stronger and will only get better. As for the pass rush, I don't view Richardson as a pass rusher at all at 3 tech and hasn't produced sacks since 3 years ago. He's an undersized 3 tech that isn't that good of a pass rusher.

I don't see any way how he starts over Naz as a run defender on 1st and 2nd down and then paying for a pass rusher that isn't all that good of a pass rusher doesn't make a lick of sense. We better be getting 7-10 sacks if we pay him anywhere near 10 million. Not the 2.5 sacks he's gotten over the last two years. Naz got 2 in 10 games.

Signing Richardson is illogical.

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I consider lack of effort/quitting a severe character issue as it pertains to both play on the field and in the locker room. It's an infectious disease.

chris98251

Reaction score
The Jets was a in house feud between players that got out.

I didn't see lack of effort on the field as much as I seen a worn out defense many times, hell Bennett was playing 87 percent of the defensive snaps and that wasn't suppose to happen yet people were saying he was taking plays off also.

Sheldon was bench pressing 600 plus pounds every 45 seconds then chasing guys down as well.

I might hold my gap on some plays and not rush or chase guys also.

I don't think the D line rotation was right, might be another reason Richard was let go.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Well I finally got around to re-watching the final Cards game all-22 and then quickly remembered why I didn't want to. It's not good. Richardson didn't get much going but there was a very noticeable drop off when Branden Jackson came in. Reed and Bennett also had surprisingly rough games. Maybe they were playing too much, but there were runs in the 2nd quarter where Bennett moved like two yards to his right and tried to arm tackle the guy.

Richardson was getting washed out of running plays pretty easily by combo blocks on the right side but held up better when they lined him up over the RG later on in the game. Probably not a huge surprise given the Cardinals LG is the 6' 8" Alex Boone. Garrison Smith was the only guy who was holding his ground on running plays against Boone.

Both Richardson and Dion Jordan were creating pressure on passing plays via penetration. Unfortunately, Stanton mostly did a nice job stepping up into the pocket to avoid them and other than a strip sack the pressures didn't really amount to much other than statistics.

How much better do we look with Naz Jones? Hopefully quite a lot, but I wouldn't be surprised if we invest resources into another big DT this off-season.

original poster

Reaction score
vin.couve12":39gnn5xr said:
original poster":39gnn5xr said:
vin.couve12":39gnn5xr said:

I don’t think worse is the right word. Naz is more stout against the run and made some insane plays in his own right. Naz is much more physically stronger and will only get better. As for the pass rush, I don't view Richardson as a pass rusher at all at 3 tech and hasn't produced sacks since 3 years ago. He's an undersized 3 tech that isn't that good of a pass rusher.

I don't see any way how he starts over Naz as a run defender on 1st and 2nd down and then paying for a pass rusher that isn't all that good of a pass rusher doesn't make a lick of sense. We better be getting 7-10 sacks if we pay him anywhere near 10 million. Not the 2.5 sacks he's gotten over the last two years. Naz got 2 in 10 games.

Signing Richardson is illogical.

Thanks VC.

I’m in total agreement about how good Naz is (and will be), maybe if they project Naz improves further they don’t resign Sheldon. If there was a premier edge guy available I’d rather they perused him but I think Richardson does get extended and I don’t think we will live to regret it.

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I do think we invest in the DL in this draft, both at DE and at DT. Possibly even as much as 3 players.

Now that I think about it, I should probably start looking for later round sleepers since we have so many late round picks. Been stuck on the RB position.

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Quick and dirty list of under the radar free agents to take a look at with either some sacks or sack potential or college players I remember. Some just for depth, mind you, and havent vetted these.

Will Clarke VI - Depth/compete
Xavier Cooper - Ridiculous athlete, but short arms
Jeremiah Attaochu - Had 6 sacks in 2015, injuries etc since. Compete.
Kony Ealy - Can produce here and there, drafted too high
Dominique Easley - Missed all of last year. Still has potential.
Chris Smith - Compete. Has potential.
Shelby Harris - Cheaper than Richardson. Had 5.5 sacks last year.
Kerry Hyder - 8 sacks in '16. Torn achilles in '17.

Add em if you got em...

massari

Reaction score
vin.couve12":33e441iq said:
Interesting list.

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
These also aren't vetted and pro days will change some things. Looking for under the radar later round pass rush potential.

James Looney - 5T & 3rd down 3T
Darius Jackson JSU - Reminds me of a young Clem at 240 when he was drafted.
Ade Aruna - Pure athletic ability Leo candidate. Needs work for a year.
Peter Kalambayi - Another plus athlete. Probably ends up a better SLB than DE though. Probably should take him off the list.
Hercules Mata'afa - Decent athlete. Short Arms. Still really love the way he plays.
Ja'von Rolland-Jones - Worth a look just because of production.
Leon Jacobs - Don't know that he belongs here. Probably more of an SLB, which we also need. Great athlete that's played all over. Probably shouldn't be on this list.
John Franklin-Myers - Great athlete for his size. One of my favorite players ever came from Stephen F Austin.
Josh Sweat - Lots of potential. Couldn't stay healthy.
Trenton Thompson - Not sure how under the radar he is. Has some good 3T potential.

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
How many 5th rounders do we have?

Mata'afa and Trenton Thompson in the 5th. Darius Jackson and Looney in the 7th.

I would NOT be mad at that....

The other guys might go undrafted except for Sweat.

If you can't tell, I really like the roster building portion of the year. Try to turn your frowns upside down.....lol

Please add to the list if you have players in mind. We have a little over a month and a half before the draft. Free agency starts next week.

EDIT: I don't think this shows the new 5th for Bennett. One of those 7ths is gone, correct?

Round 1, Pick 18 (18) --
Round 4, Pick 20 (120) --
Round 5, Pick 4 (141) (From Texans) --
Round 5, Pick 9 (146) (From Raiders) --
Round 5, Pick 31 (168) (From Patriots) --
New 5th probably goes here at 32.
Round 7, Pick 8 (226) (From Jets) --
Round 7, Pick 30 (248) (From Vikings) --
Round 7, Pick 32 (250) (From Eagles through Seakhawks and Patriots)

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
vin.couve12":15ivc0d7 said:
Quick and dirty list of under the radar free agents to take a look at with either some sacks or sack potential or college players I remember. Some just for depth, mind you, and havent vetted these.

Will Clarke VI - Depth/compete
Xavier Cooper - Ridiculous athlete, but short arms
Chris Smith - Compete. Has potential.

Add em if you got em...
Hyder just resigned with the Lions.