Do u use the words "us" or "we" when u bring up the Seahawks

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I'd point out that this organization has historically been the model of the league in promoting the 'we' and 'us' with it's fans. It's not strange at all to find that most fans associate with the team like that. It's by design.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I try not to but have found myself on occasion using we. The main reason I don't harkens back to my playing days. It always rubbed me the wrong way when people would say "we" won or "we" lost when the people saying these things were not actually on the team. They were not part of 2 a days in hot August heat, they were not part of grueling practices or hard fought battles on the field. They were not part of locker room discussions, chalk talks, or general team bonding. They didn't bleed or sweat or bust their asses for their team mates.

But this is where the Seattle Seahawks culture differs a bit. The number 12 was retired in homage to the impact that we the fans have on the game. In that respect, then yes"we" are part of the team. My personal choice in trying to avoid using the term "we" when referring to "my" team is mostly out of respect for the players and what and how they prepare to play football. The Seahawks are my team. I have been a fan from the beginning. There isn't anyone I know that doesn't know of my allegiance to this team. They know of my passion. They know what I will be doing come game time. They know that shopping for me is relatively easy...anything with a Seahawks logo.

At the end of the day, I don't have to push myself harder in the weight room or even go into one. I don't need to run extra sprints or work on my 40 time. I don't need to learn plays or compete for playing time. What I get to do is watch management try to improve the team through free agency and the draft. I get to pay attention to position battles through OTAs and training camp while rooting for my favorites. I get to dream and hope through the preseason in anticipation of the regular season. I get to eagerly wait for kickoffs once a week for 16 weeks in hopes of extra games in the playoffs.

"They" bring me great pleasure, sometimes disappointment, but always entertainment. "We" all obviously love "our" team, but in the end we are only fans. Does the Seahawks culture and status of the 12's entitle us to refer to the teams success and failures as "we"? Maybe. Probably.

Out of respect for the players I say they. Most of the time. If I catch myself saying we, it just doesn't feel right. Even though I have invested more time in this team (over 40 years...) than any of the players...I am still just a fan...a 12!

mrt144

Reaction score
dopeboy206":1w1f5fjh said:
I'm guilty even though I don't play for them or work in the front office.

For the sake of conversation convenience here, yes. In a mixed team NFL forum, no.

I mean, really is there a better short hand that conveys association faster? And is everyone at a loss for what it means here when someone says "we" or "us"? Like the antecedent to the pronoun is just that difficult to process?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mrt144":1png6kjn said:
I mean, really is there a better short hand that conveys association faster? And is everyone at a loss for what it means here when someone says "we" or "us"? Like the antecedent to the pronoun is just that difficult to process?

This.

It's much easier to say "we just signed Eddie Lacy"...............than "The Seahawks just signed Eddie Lacy."

Sure there's some blatant homerism in using "us" or "we," but for the most part I use those pronouns because they're faster. Especially here where everyone knows what I mean when I use those words.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I try not to, but usually catch myself when I do.

I do use 'we' when referring to my alma maters basketball or track teams even though I am years removed from those teams.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Nope. I'm sure I've done it but I try to avoid it. It feels weird. When my favorite band is on tour I don't say "We're going on tour!". When my favorite restaurant is full I don't say, "Wow we've got a packed house.

tacomahawk

Reaction score
The thousands, and thousands, of dollars I have spent on them, tell me, that I don't care what they, have to think about us.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Cyrus12":auk403yc said:
I try not to but we is shorter to type than Seahawks. On the other hand do you like being referred to as a 12 or 12th man?

Damn the lawyers......WE are the 12th Man!

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
I don't see any problem with a fan referring to his favorite team as "we." I do it sometimes and I don't see why anyone would really care.

Is it really that much different from an avid NCAA fan referencing his alma mater as "we"? Nope.

adeltaY

Reaction score
I do because it's cumbersome and awkward to use "they," "The Seahawks," or "the front office," etc.

Tical21

Reaction score
Anyone who ever cared anything about this is a mark.

When Pete Carroll sends his team away for their week off at the bye, he reminds the players that they represent the franchise, their families, the city of Seattle, and the fanbase. We aren't on the same level as the players and coaches, but we do have a level.

I have a cousin who is a diehard 49er fan. I don't tell him that the Seahawks are gonna kick the 49ers butts, I tell him we are gonna kick your ass.

sam1313

Reaction score
OldHawkFan, I totally get where you are coming from having played ball for 11 years of my life, but nothing gave me as much fire as taking the field in front of thousands of cheering fans. If they come to cheer, they can say "we." Some of them may never understand what players go through bUT so what, they are part of the game and part of the grand experience. Players should be honored we think enough of them to say "we". And like so many others have said we have earned it. I have been a fan of this team longer than any of the playes have been alive (I think), so ya, I feel justified in saying "we."

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I say "we" all the time. When people try to correct me, I recite the "12th man" journal to prove them wrong

chris98251

Reaction score
We the People................................ I think it started there :)

StoneCold

Reaction score
I say "My guys" and "We" all the time. It's my team. I just let you guys watch. :)

lukerguy

Reaction score
I think 100% of people cheering for a USA team in the olympics would say "we won GOLD" in the 4x100 replay not "They won gold" in the 4x100 relay.

You would say "we" because you identify as being on their side, and like them as Americans.

Given that the team is in your city, it's not much different. You are from Seattle and thus you identify a Seattle sports team as with you.

RiverDog

Reaction score
lukerguy":327z6kaq said:
I think 100% of people cheering for a USA team in the olympics would say "we won GOLD" in the 4x100 replay not "They won gold" in the 4x100 relay.

You would say "we" because you identify as being on their side, and like them as Americans.

Given that the team is in your city, it's not much different. You are from Seattle and thus you identify a Seattle sports team as with you.

I'm not from Seattle, and although I realize that you didn't intend it in the manner which I took it, I bristle a bit at the use of Seattle in the manner which you've used it. It was a state wide ballot measure that approved the stadium and kept the team here. Thank God that we didn't entrust the Seahawks to the city of Seattle like we did the Sonics.

It's a regional team, with Seattle having the name and location of the venue.