Do you agree with PFF's QB ranking for 2024 draft?

toffee

Reaction score

PPF draft rankNameSchoolPFF draft rankNameSchool
1Caleb WilliamsUSC142Austin ReedW Kentucky
3Drake MayeN Carolina156Joe MiltonTenn
22Jayden DanielsLSU241Taulia TagovailoaMaryland
30JJ McCarthyMichigan245Carter BradleyAlabama
36Bo NixOregon276Sam harmonBYU
47Michael Penix JrWashington286Kedon SlovisKentucky
67Michael PrattTulane295Devin LearyKansas
84Spencer RattlerS Carolina303Jason BeanKansas
124Jordan TravisFlorida State308John Rhys PlumleeUCF

Last edited:

Seahawker

Reaction score
I wonder where Penix would rank if he didn't have the injury history.
Does anyone know more about his season ending ACL & shoulder injuries and how they will likely translate to his NFL career?
Opinions?

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I wonder where Penix would rank if he didn't have the injury history.
Does anyone know more about his season ending ACL & shoulder injuries and how they will likely translate to his NFL career?
Opinions?
Penny had no injury record in college, DK was the opposite, multiple injuries at Ole Miss.

12forlife

Reaction score
Williams
Daniels
Maye
McCarthy
Penix
Nix
Travis
Rattler
Pratt

Travis needs to sit a year or 2, but I'm interested to see how his NFL career plays out? Same for McCarthy.

Last edited:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

PPF draft rankNameSchoolPFF draft rankNameSchool
1Caleb WilliamsUSC142Austin ReedW Kentucky
3Drake MayeN Carolina156Joe MiltonTenn
22Jayden DanielsLSU241Taulia TagovailoaMaryland
30JJ McCarthyMichigan245Carter BradleyAlabama
36Bo NixOregon276Sam harmonBYU
47Michael Penix JrWashington286Kedon SlovisKentucky
67Michael PrattTulane295Devin LearyKansas
84Spencer RattlerS Carolina303Jason BeanKansas
124Jordan TravisFlorida State308John Rhys PlumleeUCF
The top 9 are the correct 9 names, but my personal order (in terms of probable overall grade right now, rather than team fit for Seattle):

Maye
Williams
Daniels
Penix
McCarthy
Nix
Rattler (although I wouldn't draft him before the fifth, simply because I do not trust his demeanor or attitude)
Pratt
Travis

I'd have Milton 10th.

For Seattle, I'd take several names below McCarthy over him. I'd rather have any quarterback on that list in the second/third/later than McCarthy in the first. McCarthy's mix of questionable arm strength, ease of assignment in Michigan's offense, and disproportionately high turnover-worthy-play percentage under the little pressure he faced is a mix for disaster here but he'd be a decent fit in a Shanahan tree offense with heavy usage of 12/13/21 personnel. He's a Brock Purdy who is slightly better than Purdy was coming out to my eyes with a bit of winning intangibles.

I'd take Pratt in round 3/4, Travis round 3 or later, Rattler in round 5, Nix in round 3, Penix in round 2/3 all over McCarthy at 16.

The only quarterback I'd endorse a trade-up for is Maye, and I'd give up a decent but not insane amount to get it done (two packages I proposed offering were 2024 1st/3rd, 2025 1st/2nd, 2026 3rd OR 2024 1st/3rd, 2025 1st/3rd and Geno Smith.)

Last edited:

fenderbender123

Reaction score
It's hard to say who is going to do well.

Obviously I am a Penix homer. I think he's the best deep ball thrower in the draft, and the most ready for an NFL pocket-passing offense.

I know his injury history is a concern for a lot of people. However, I also think he's smart about protecting himself, as evidenced by his play the past couple years.

The Michigan game? Well, I'll just say this. That Michigan defense might be about the best defense in the history of college football. The injuries and drops by UW didn't help, either.

Penix is also pretty mobile and athletic. Will be interesting to see what his combine numbers are, post injuries and all that.

With that said, I would be happy with several different QBs this draft. I would even be okay waiting another year if we have more important needs, or if next year's QB class is looking good too.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Are the 1,3, 22, 30 rankings where they actually project them to be picked? If so, that's crazy. There are roughly ten qb needy teams in the draft. Many mocks have 4 qb's being picked in the top ten.

WarHawks

Reaction score
It's hard to say who is going to do well.

Obviously I am a Penix homer. I think he's the best deep ball thrower in the draft, and the most ready for an NFL pocket-passing offense.

I know his injury history is a concern for a lot of people. However, I also think he's smart about protecting himself, as evidenced by his play the past couple years.

The Michigan game? Well, I'll just say this. That Michigan defense might be about the best defense in the history of college football. The injuries and drops by UW didn't help, either.

Penix is also pretty mobile and athletic. Will be interesting to see what his combine numbers are, post injuries and all that.

With that said, I would be happy with several different QBs this draft. I would even be okay waiting another year if we have more important needs, or if next year's QB class is looking good too.

I saw Top Billin' describing Penix as a lefty version of Geno, except with injury concerns. I thought that was pretty insightful.

chris98251

Reaction score
I saw Top Billin' describing Penix as a lefty version of Geno, except with injury concerns. I thought that was pretty insightful.
Geno was a hot prospect coming out of school, going to the Jets which is almost as bad as the Browns as far as QB purgatory for a rookie and not getting the support or development he needed there, losing and finally it blew up. Credit he could grind and get his Mojo back so to speak and is a very good QB these days, he plays within his limitations or the teams now.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Well I'm not draft expert. but watching the college highlight videos of Geno vs Penix, it seems like Penix was dropping more intermediate and long passes into tight windows, and throwing guys open more often.

Again, that's based on a limited sample size. Not trying to discredit Top Billin', and if be super stoked if we got a guy like McCarthy.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Geno was a hot prospect coming out of school, going to the Jets which is almost as bad as the Browns as far as QB purgatory for a rookie and not getting the support or development he needed there, losing and finally it blew up. Credit he could grind and get his Mojo back so to speak and is a very good QB these days, he plays within his limitations or the teams now.

I think this is a good point, too. What team drafts you can have a huge impact on your development, habits, and therefore career.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well I'm not draft expert. but watching the college highlight videos of Geno vs Penix, it seems like Penix was dropping more intermediate and long passes into tight windows, and throwing guys open more often.

Again, that's based on a limited sample size. Not trying to discredit Top Billin', and if be super stoked if we got a guy like McCarthy.
NONE of us are. That's the whole point of it. It's all a crap shoot, it's all opinion. But def. fun to talk about. None of these guys actually seem like a FOR SURE great pick in the 1st round, as far the QB's. They all have strengths and weaknesses. Time will tell, and I'm honestly very intrigued by how they will turn out.
Especially BO and 3, JJ and Penix.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
terrible take. Geno can't read a defense to save his life. If he could he'd be elite. Penix is the polar opposite. Elite at pre snap reads and progression. His cons are health concerns, a slight frame and a weird wind up. He is in complete command in a very complex system. Show me another QB that can do that, and I'll show you a starting NFL QB. NIX and Williams to a lesser extent have these things going for them. This is a very accurate list of cons by NFL Draft buzz on Penix:

• Has a big strong arm, is able to effortlessly throw a deep out without any effort. The Sugar bowl proved he was more than capable of making any NFL pass with ease
  • Exhibits elite field generalship; excels in dissecting defensive alignments pre-snap, ensuring high-percentage throws post-snap.
  • Shows touch on deep balls and intermediate routes, demonstrating an ability to drop dimes in tight coverage.
  • Shows continued progression in arm mechanics, adept at layering throws over linebackers and under safeties with precision.
  • Routinely identifies mismatches and exploits secondary weaknesses with rapid progression reads.
  • Instills confidence in his receiving corps, delivering throws that allow for yards-after-catch opportunities and highlight-reel grabs.
  • Displays pocket mobility with subtle slide and step-up maneuvers, maintaining downfield focus under duress.
  • Able to quickly bounce back from setbacks - has a short memory - just what you need in a signal caller
  • Physical toolkit meshes well with pro-style offenses; has the build and athleticism to extend plays and absorb contact at the next level.

Last edited:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
terrible take. Geno can't read a defense to save his life. If he could he'd be elite. Penix is the polar opposite. Elite at pre snap reads and progression. His cons are health concerns, a slight frame and a weird wind up. He is in complete command in a very complex system. Show me another QB that can do that, and I'll show you a starting NFL QB. NIX and Williams to a lesser extent have these things going for them. This is a very accurate list of cons by NFL Draft buzz on Penix:

• Has a big strong arm, is able to effortlessly throw a deep out without any effort. The Sugar bowl proved he was more than capable of making any NFL pass with ease
  • Exhibits elite field generalship; excels in dissecting defensive alignments pre-snap, ensuring high-percentage throws post-snap.
  • Shows touch on deep balls and intermediate routes, demonstrating an ability to drop dimes in tight coverage.
  • Shows continued progression in arm mechanics, adept at layering throws over linebackers and under safeties with precision.
  • Routinely identifies mismatches and exploits secondary weaknesses with rapid progression reads.
  • Instills confidence in his receiving corps, delivering throws that allow for yards-after-catch opportunities and highlight-reel grabs.
  • Displays pocket mobility with subtle slide and step-up maneuvers, maintaining downfield focus under duress.
  • Able to quickly bounce back from setbacks - has a short memory - just what you need in a signal caller
  • Physical toolkit meshes well with pro-style offenses; has the build and athleticism to extend plays and absorb contact at the next level.
This doesn't seem entirely on-par with reality.

Firstly, there is nothing whatsoever to back up the assertion that Geno cannot read a defense. This much is clear on a cursory examination of Seahawks games.

Secondly, Penix's system doesn't seem massively complex. What components of UW's offense are so inordinately complex as to prove that Penix is a supreme processor?

Thirdly, I wouldn't say he's in elite at either pre-snap reads nor progression, and certainly have to stop short of claiming "complete command." He's got legitimate questions marks in every single regard there. They're not weaknesses, but "elite?" Come on. There is not one thing Michael Penix Jr. is "elite" at that Geno "sucks" at. There are things he is more naturally suited to than Geno, but there is not a single aspect of the game in which there is that large of a gulf between them. Other than knee ligament strength in the vice versa, of course. Speaking of...

Fourth, *four* season ending injuries in a college career, two of which were tearing the same ligament in the same knee?

Rashaad Penny got laughed out of town for less of an injury sheet, man.

Back on planet Earth, we can be reasonable about Penix. He's a hell of an arm talent and a hell of a gamer with some questions about his presence in the pocket, needs a fair amount of seasoning before he'll be ready to start, and is plagued with fairly extreme injury concerns.