Does Earl Thomas or Sherman Get An Extension This Year..?

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2l53s33c said:
kearly":2l53s33c said:
Sgt. Largent":2l53s33c said:
sutz":2l53s33c said:
Franchising Sherm will cost mucho money!!! :bitenails:

So will signing him to a long term deal.

And he's worth every penny of it, IMO.
My opinion as well. He, ET and RW are very special and will be the core of this team for the next 7 or so years.

Along with Harvin. I think we can Keep Wilson and Harvin for the O and Sherman and Thomas for the D and we will be set for the next 5 years easy

jblaze

Reaction score
I think they're going to be very busy over the next couple of weeks signing FA's so ti won't be soon. However, I do think they get ET done and possibly Sherman if they drop Clemons and Miller. If they keep Miller, they may have to wait until next year for Sherm.

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
I predict Earl gets extended first, but have every confidence they are working on trying to extend both right now. What Kip says about Earl having made good money already makes sense, and in a logical world it would seem appropriate to reward Sherman first, however, there is a great deal of evidence to suggest that the Hawks value chart has Earl listed ahead of Sherm from a positional and leadership standpoint. In their system, I could see them wanting Earl locked up regardless of whether they can get Sherman done or not, and Earl's contract being easier to accomplish.

For insight into their likely thinking, look at Kam's deal last year and his comments about the process. JCPC are straightforward with their guys. They told Kam they'd take care of him a year before he was eligible to be extended, and they did just that when the time came.
“They told me at the end of last season that they were going to take care of me because they knew I was a core guy that worked hard all the time and led by example,” Chancellor said.

Earl is 100% a core guy who leads by example, and similar could be said about Sherm, with the only sticking point being affordability. If a doomsday scenario presents itself and it comes down to one or the other, I would bank on Earl staying and Sherm going, but we all hope it doesn't come to that. If it does, this next year could be marred with distractions about Sherm's future with the team.

Assuming they can afford both, I think Earl's deal gets done in late March, early April, and Sherman's deal completed after the dust settles in the CB market, so Sherm can see the landscape. Kam signed his extension in April. They may or may not announce Earl's signing right away if both deals are close and they expect to get both done. JSPC are very savvy, and like they did with Kam, they'll want Sherm to have his day in the sun, and not be overshadowed by Earl in any way. Here's the precedent:
“We’re trying to make a big deal out of this day for Kam,” general manager John Schneider said. “This is Kam’s day. Kam was a fifth-round draft pick. He hasn’t been able to experience something like this. Hopefully he’s here for the rest of his career.”
These guys understand player's egos. It is just one more thing to respect in how they go about their business.

Quotes are taken from the following artice: http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahawks/ ... hancellor/

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Thomas will, according to all the reports of that being a priority. No plan to begin discussions with Sherman. I think he plays out his rookie deal and then they probably franchise him in 2015. It's hard to know what they can offer Sherman until the Thomas and Wilson extensions get hammered out.

TJH

Reaction score
Quote me on this, Sherman is as good as gone now. We may end up franchising him for a year but that will be it.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
TJH":1llpkzom said:
Quote me on this, Sherman is as good as gone now. We may end up franchising him for a year but that will be it.
I already learned my lesson about crows and knees....be careful sir.;)

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3khcfo1c said:
TJH":3khcfo1c said:
I already learned my lesson about crows and knees....be careful sir.;)

Taste like chicken...but if ya put some Heinz 57 sauce on it.....

;)

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I thinking we extend Earl and if we can't get a reduced deal with Sherman we franchise him. I figure 8-9 mil a year for Thomas and 11-13 for Sherm. I think CB franchise numbers are about 10 mil.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1t9h7j5w said:
I thinking we extend Earl and if we can't get a reduced deal with Sherman we franchise him. I figure 8-9 mil a year for Thomas and 11-13 for Sherm. I think CB franchise numbers are about 10 mil.
I figure 10 and 14 myself because the cap is rising big time.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3w2rf2h9 said:
Wenhawk":3w2rf2h9 said:
I wood day that but that's what another team will offer. They will take a little less to stick around.

BC-Hawk

Reaction score
So Byrd just signed a monster deal tonight. 6 years, $54m with 28 guaranteed dwarfing Goldson's deal from last year. Unless he's willing to give the team a friendlier contract I think Earl getting over $10m with 30 guaranteed seems likely.

The market for corners today was fairly reasonable until the damn Donkeys went and drove an armored car up to Talib's house.

It's going to be awfully hard for us to keep both of these guys, sadly.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I don't see how Denver's deal with Talib hurts our cause with Sherman. Talib is an elite corner and is making < $10M. The Byrd and Talib deals were both good signs that we can get these extensions done IMO.

I've felt they would both get done since day 1 though.

BC-Hawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3chja6i1 said:
I don't see how Denver's deal with Talib hurts our cause with Sherman. Talib is an elite corner and is making < $10M. The Byrd and Talib deals were both good signs that we can get these extensions done IMO.

I've felt they would both get done since day 1 though.
The fact that Sherm is an even better corner than Talib without the off-the-field baggage Talib has while also being younger means that he should be worth more. I really hope I'm wrong but with Russell needing an extension next season as well something's gotta give eventually, and that's not even taking into account guys like Okung, Avril, Wagner or K.J.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Wenhawk":3u6ocfdu said:
MizzouHawkGal":3u6ocfdu said:
Wenhawk":3u6ocfdu said:
I wood day that but that's what another team will offer. They will take a little less to stick around.
You have a good point and I can believe it after the Bennett deal. I really think the core players are going to do a New England/Tampa Bay thing and take deals that are 10-15% less than market to stay together.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
If Earl takes less than 10 per year, it will be because he's helping to keep other guys here.
To me, he's the key to our defense. Pay him and keep him, period.

If Sherm stays for a good price, I'll be high fiving myself daily. On an open market, he'll command a fortune.
If he doesn't move to 3 different teams during his career like Deion did, I'll be surprised.
I just hope he chooses team over cash but, I can't blame someone for setting up there family for a few generations.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
The cost of moving and state taxes would save those guys some money. Would you pack up your family and move across country to an unknown employer for a 10 percent raise? I would't.

themunn

Reaction score
I reckon Thomas gets a deal that's bigger in number marginally that officially makes him highest paid, but only because of a year 6 completely non-guaranteed salary that he'll never see - and a much larger guaranteed figure, 32 or so.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I think they should get BOTH done and then hold a joint press conference. As you can see that the best CB's are getting 9-10 million/year, that's definitely doable for Sherman and Thomas in the 8-9 million range.

I think it'd be great to get both done this offseason and not have to worry about it next year.