Does Earl Thomas or Sherman Get An Extension This Year..?

Throwdown

Reaction score
Nah Sherman should get his own presser like Kam did.

Earl got his presser when he was drafted.

mikeak

Reaction score
kearly":2l3u6u3e said:
It doesn't take much initial cap space to extend a guy, you can structure the deals however you want to fit it into the 2014 budget. It would make sense to extend those guys now. Not only do you avoid the risk of losing them in FA next year, but with NFL inflation and a rising cap it is likely that they would be pricier in 2015 than 2014, so it saves money to get a deal done now.

In exchange, the players get financial security. Earl has already earned millions so he's probably fine, but Sherman could lose a lot if he has a career altering injury next season, so there is a lot of reason for him to sign now for pennies on the dollar less.

I agree 100%. Personally I think Sherman is stupid if he shows up at camp without an extension. I think we all know that Sherman isn't stupid.

And don't get me started on the whole "he is under contract". He had no VIABLE option but to sign a Contract that limits his ability to re-negotiate for three years. Furthermore he was limited to the value of the Contract in a way that only incoming rookies are. I am waiting for the first guy that takes that whole arrangement and the NFLPA to court for bad faith negotiations.

Sherman will get extended this year

mikeak

Reaction score
rideaducati":19hx4roq said:
sutz":19hx4roq said:
Franchising Sherm will cost mucho money!!! :bitenails:

Paying him the average of the top 5 contracts over the past 5 seasons will be less than the contract to make him the highest paid corner in the league. Hell, they could save money by putting the franchise tag on him two years in a row after his rookie deal is done.

Not everything is about money. If you treat players a certain way to alienate them. You don't get players like Bennet to sign for less than market value, you don't get them to lay it all out on the line, you don't get them to come back in after an injury like Sherman did..........

This organization is not about screwing players - at least not from what I have seen so far.

Latest posts