Does Schneider head back to GB?

Tinymac2

Reaction score
I have to believe he's their guy and gone once they work it out. Why does anyone go home? Family, friends, and memories.

2_0_6

Reaction score
As soon as it was announced that the GM spot was open, I think all Hawks fans had a "holy crap" moment. I REALLY hope he stays, but I would also understand and not hold any ill feelings towards him if he decided to take his dream job for his favorite team as a kid.

I know coaches have been traded before, but I don't think I have ever heard of a GM trade. I wonder what kind of compensation he would get. He obviously wouldn't want to make the cupboards bare for himself to start things out.

warden

Reaction score
The executive Vice President title that they gave Schneider when they extended him makes it near impossible for the Packers to talk to John without the Seahawks permission

sdog1981

Reaction score
Well a head coach cost the Buccaneers 2 first rounders and 2 second rounders so GM should be at least that right?

original poster

Reaction score
sdog1981":v0k614eo said:
Well a head coach cost the Buccaneers 2 first rounders and 2 second rounders so GM should be at least that right?

To be fair I’d say a HC is more valuable than a GM.

Head coaches get paid typically considerably more than GM’s.

sdog1981

Reaction score
original poster":23ehjbzm said:
sdog1981":23ehjbzm said:

To be fair I’d say a HC is more valuable than a GM.

Head coaches get paid typically considerably more than GM’s.

Also the no Al David involvement must be factored in.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1cnnp9y8 said:
JS apparently is a Packer share holder..

So is every Packer fan I know. You could be too for about $300.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Maybe I'm alone, but I would welcome a JS departure.
I don't really understand the rational to keep JS around. Yes, he had a few great years with Wilson, Doug, Kam, Sherm and some great Free Agent signings (Bennet, Cliff, ...).

But, please look at his last 4-5 drafts. I wouldn't be surprised if this was one of the worst in the NFL in that span.
We want to get ride of players, as soon as their performances drift. We want to keep a GM around, who has been extremely poor in the last 4-5 years?
Time for John to move to the Packers. And hopefully we can get some draft picks for him.

randomation

Reaction score
If he leaves we get either Gute or Scot I think. Gute has been described as Scot without the alcohol issue. We would also have to get compensation possibly multiple first rounders think something similar to the Gruden to TB deal. Outside of that we would probably be looking for a new coach since it's unlikely any top tier candidate would be okay with Pete having more control than them especially over coaches and coordinators. Basically it would be a much bigger shakeup than people are thinking which is why I'm guessing this ends with a raise and an extension.

IrishNW

Reaction score
Time for John to leverage this into a promotion of power over Pete.

After that we can start replacing under performing coaches

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
JS had one home run.

Wilson.

But boy, he had a # of swing and misses.

Most of the rest of his 'successes' were picks that clearly came from Scott.

Him leaving wouldn't hurt us at all. He is a terrible judge of FA talent and we seem trade most our draft slots away for crappy draft picks anyway.

He was good. But he hasn't contributed anything worthwhile in years. Average hit rate on drafts. Below average hit rate on FA moves.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Seahawks better off keeping GM John Schneider — or getting a big haul in a trade

"Perhaps Schneider is hellbent on leaving. One can certainly understand why. But if he’s insistent on heading to Green Bay, the Seahawks better be insistent in getting a huge haul in exchange for him.

I feel like even Schneider would tell you that much."

If he leaves I think we could see some major things go down this offseason. I just don't see a good GM coming in under the same situation as JS had. Especially if the GM that comes is worth his salt, he could not possibly give his blessing on ignoring the regression of this offense. I could see the new GM insisting on certain assistants being let go, then I could see Pete sticking his heels down and saying no. PA is going to have some difficult decisions to make. Just my opinion though.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Let him go but get quality compensation in return. It's sadly our only chance at getting rid of Bevell, Cable and others because Carroll will never change a damn thing.

A new GM with fresh ideas and draft strategies would be welcome also. I'm tired of watching trade downs just so we can reach for red flags. The last 5 drafts as a whole have been subpar at best. Perhaps we can do better.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
According the the ticker at the bottom of the NFL post game show on NFL Network tonight it said the Packers have asked the Seahawks for permission to interview JS for the GM position and the Seahawks have declined.

It will be interesting to see if there's fall out from the Hawks saying no. If John wants to take the job and all...

chris98251

Reaction score
First if it caught the Seahawks Front office off Guard then I could see a denial, second it gives them time to resource possible replacements and put together a plan and compensation package that they would want.

Fade

Reaction score
joeseahawks":1q91wnb2 said:
Maybe I'm alone, but I would welcome a JS departure.
I don't really understand the rational to keep JS around. Yes, he had a few great years with Wilson, Doug, Kam, Sherm and some great Free Agent signings (Bennet, Cliff, ...).

But, please look at his last 4-5 drafts. I wouldn't be surprised if this was one of the worst in the NFL in that span.
We want to get ride of players, as soon as their performances drift. We want to keep a GM around, who has been extremely poor in the last 4-5 years?
Time for John to move to the Packers. And hopefully we can get some draft picks for him.
This argument is misguided, and out of touch with how the team is run.

This team does not have a traditional structure where the GM makes all the personnel moves, and the HC coaches them up.

JS has a meddling HC that sits over him. If Pete Carroll wants to acquire someone like Percy Harvin, JS can't do anything about it if PC is dead set on making a move like that, no matter how much JS advises against it.

In other words we just don't know which bad moves are JS or PC moves. I know as an example Alex Collins was a JS move. In hindsight an excellent pick for a 5th round selection, but he got Cable'd via Pete Carroll, is that JS' fault?

I would love to see what it would look like when JS is the head of football operations when PC is gone. I think the team would get better. Like dynasty better.

I can see why JS would like to go to GB just to have top down control would be enough. Throw in the fact he would have a top QB, and he would be going home would be icing on the cake.

Paul Allen should do everything in his power to keep JS. JS and RW are the centerpieces of the franchise going forward.

Fade

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":237i55zo said:
Let him go but get quality compensation in return. It's sadly our only chance at getting rid of Bevell, Cable and others because Carroll will never change a damn thing.

A new GM with fresh ideas and draft strategies would be welcome also. I'm tired of watching trade downs just so we can reach for red flags. The last 5 drafts as a whole have been subpar at best. Perhaps we can do better.

The new GM would still sit under Carroll, so things would get worse.

Keep JS. Fire Pete Carroll next off-season if he doesn't fix his staff.

MO Hawk

Reaction score
He has a mess to clean up in Seattle with not much cap space at the time and GB is a fresh start without a HC as his boss.

Why wouldn't he leave?

He has to be careful that if he interviews or expresses an interest in the GB job that he makes sure it is a done deal, otherwise I think it would fracture the relatinship between Pete and him if he didn't get the GB GM job.