Does Schneider head back to GB?

NJlargent

Reaction score
Fade":31kf8tkq said:
West TX Hawk":31kf8tkq said:
Let him go but get quality compensation in return. It's sadly our only chance at getting rid of Bevell, Cable and others because Carroll will never change a damn thing.

A new GM with fresh ideas and draft strategies would be welcome also. I'm tired of watching trade downs just so we can reach for red flags. The last 5 drafts as a whole have been subpar at best. Perhaps we can do better.

The new GM would still sit under Carroll, so things would get worse.

Keep JS. Fire Pete Carroll next off-season if he doesn't fix his staff.

We should fire Carroll right now then. He isn’t fixing this staff or anything else for that matter. Why waste another year of Wilson? Doesn’t make sense

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Aros":8lwflj7a said:
According the the ticker at the bottom of the NFL post game show on NFL Network tonight it said the Packers have asked the Seahawks for permission to interview JS for the GM position and the Seahawks have declined.

It will be interesting to see if there's fall out from the Hawks saying no. If John wants to take the job and all...

I also linked to an ESPN article above.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Anyone who thinks John was responsible for evaluating and drafting all that great talent those first few years knows nothing about how the Seahawks operated. Give him a handshake and a pat on the back and wish him luck in America's version of Siberia. Suits like John are replaceable. We have far bigger problems to deal with, and John's not the guy to fix them.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Fade":crd1hkju said:
joeseahawks":crd1hkju said:
Maybe I'm alone, but I would welcome a JS departure.
I don't really understand the rational to keep JS around. Yes, he had a few great years with Wilson, Doug, Kam, Sherm and some great Free Agent signings (Bennet, Cliff, ...).

But, please look at his last 4-5 drafts. I wouldn't be surprised if this was one of the worst in the NFL in that span.
We want to get ride of players, as soon as their performances drift. We want to keep a GM around, who has been extremely poor in the last 4-5 years?
Time for John to move to the Packers. And hopefully we can get some draft picks for him.
This argument is misguided, and out of touch with how the team is run.

This team does not have a traditional structure where the GM makes all the personnel moves, and the HC coaches them up.

JS has a meddling HC that sits over him. If Pete Carroll wants to acquire someone like Percy Harvin, JS can't do anything about it if PC is dead set on making a move like that, no matter how much JS advises against it.

In other words we just don't know which bad moves are JS or PC moves. I know as an example Alex Collins was a JS move. In hindsight an excellent pick for a 5th round selection, but he got Cable'd via Pete Carroll, is that JS' fault?

I would love to see what it would look like when JS is the head of football operations when PC is gone. I think the team would get better. Like dynasty better.

I can see why JS would like to go to GB just to have top down control would be enough. Throw in the fact he would have a top QB, and he would be going home would be icing on the cake.

Paul Allen should do everything in his power to keep JS. JS and RW are the centerpieces of the franchise going forward.

Very interesting take. This makes sense to me.

Fade

Reaction score
NJlargent":2khdaof2 said:
Fade":2khdaof2 said:
West TX Hawk":2khdaof2 said:
Let him go but get quality compensation in return. It's sadly our only chance at getting rid of Bevell, Cable and others because Carroll will never change a damn thing.

A new GM with fresh ideas and draft strategies would be welcome also. I'm tired of watching trade downs just so we can reach for red flags. The last 5 drafts as a whole have been subpar at best. Perhaps we can do better.

The new GM would still sit under Carroll, so things would get worse.

Keep JS. Fire Pete Carroll next off-season if he doesn't fix his staff.
We should fire Carroll right now then. He isn’t fixing this staff or anything else for that matter. Why waste another year of Wilson? Doesn’t make sense
If I owned the team I would have met with Pete, and fired him if he chose to stand pat, citing a lack of accountability, and to protect the future health of RW, but unfortunately I don't.

Appearances matter. They shouldn't, but they do. It's a bad look to fire Pete Carroll coming off of 5 consecutive winning seasons albeit the downward trend. Pete has 1 more year if he hangs himself, so be it. His OC & OL coach already have proven who they are so the blame will now shift to Pete if he refuses to fire them.

NJlargent

Reaction score
Fade, I think that these discussions should have been had last year after the loss to Atlanta. I do agree with your line of thinking, I am just frustrated we have wait for the downfall to unfold even though the writing is on the wall.

Anyhow, in terms of the topic, I would prefer JS stays, but only if I knew he would get a chance to perform without Carroll handcuffing him in he future. I have some faith in JS, I have none in PC. I do, however, disagree that if JS goes so will PC. He’s arrogant and I believe PC has pulled the wool over PA’s eyes.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Jville":38n66iv4 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/hawkblogger/status/949731858308202496[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/hawkblogger/status/949733490471329793[/tweet]
How many HOFers has he drafted? Please stay, John! You rock!

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
Fade":1wjdq6dr said:
joeseahawks":1wjdq6dr said:
I don't really understand the rational to keep JS around. Yes, he had a few great years with Wilson, Doug, Kam, Sherm and some great Free Agent signings (Bennet, Cliff, ...).

But, please look at his last 4-5 drafts. I wouldn't be surprised if this was one of the worst in the NFL in that span.
We want to get ride of players, as soon as their performances drift. We want to keep a GM around, who has been extremely poor in the last 4-5 years?
Time for John to move to the Packers. And hopefully we can get some draft picks for him.

This team does not have a traditional structure where the GM makes all the personnel moves, and the HC coaches them up.

JS has a meddling HC that sits over him. If Pete Carroll wants to acquire someone like Percy Harvin, JS can't do anything about it if PC is dead set on making a move like that, no matter how much JS advises against it.

In other words we just don't know which bad moves are JS or PC moves. I know as an example Alex Collins was a JS move. In hindsight an excellent pick for a 5th round selection, but he got Cable'd via Pete Carroll, is that JS' fault?

I would love to see what it would look like when JS is the head of football operations when PC is gone. I think the team would get better. Like dynasty better.

I can see why JS would like to go to GB just to have top down control would be enough. Throw in the fact he would have a top QB, and he would be going home would be icing on the cake.

Paul Allen should do everything in his power to keep JS. JS and RW are the centerpieces of the franchise going forward.

Rodgers an likely in career decline. This felt like Aarons year to seal a 2nd ring and the injury bug got to him again.

35 years old yeah he’s still great but he’s at the stage now where the wheels can come off any moment. If you’re looking at a job based on the next 5 years JS is likely to have a ton of work to rebuild when Rodgers is gone. Not everyone is Brady and Rodgers has had a lot more injuries than Tom.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
http://amp.thenewstribune.com/sports/nf ... tml?__twit

Schneider was also Thompson’s director of player personnel for the Seahawks in 2000.

I asked Carroll this week if he was convinced Schneider would remain his GM this offseason for 2018.

"Yeah, I am. As a matter of fact, I am,” Carroll said. “I’m convinced of that.

"I think he’s going to be here, yeah. That’s what I’m counting on."

Fade

Reaction score
hieroglyphics":13ncmm65 said:
Fade":13ncmm65 said:
joeseahawks":13ncmm65 said:

Rodgers an likely in career decline. This felt like Aarons year to seal a 2nd ring and the injury bug got to him again.

35 years old yeah he’s still great but he’s at the stage now where the wheels can come off any moment. If you’re looking at a job based on the next 5 years JS is likely to have a ton of work to rebuild when Rodgers is gone. Not everyone is Brady and Rodgers has had a lot more injuries than Tom.

Franchise HOF QBs generally start declining at 38. Favre & Brady both evaded this in recent years, Rodgers has a good shot as well to join them. So that is 3 yrs of elite play, with a good chance of 1-2 yrs more on top. The only thing that could derail him is a freak injury not declining play due to age. The wheels aren't coming off for at least 3 seasons for him, I would bet 4.

Fade

Reaction score
NJlargent":1zf9az8a said:
Fade, I think that these discussions should have been had last year after the loss to Atlanta. I do agree with your line of thinking, I am just frustrated we have wait for the downfall to unfold even though the writing is on the wall.

Anyhow, in terms of the topic, I would prefer JS stays, but only if I knew he would get a chance to perform without Carroll handcuffing him in he future. I have some faith in JS, I have none in PC. I do, however, disagree that if JS goes so will PC. He’s arrogant and I believe PC has pulled the wool over PA’s eyes.

I agree. The discussions should have happened last yr as well, but we don't own the team.

Who said if JS goes so will PC? That is out of left field, I missed that.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/950073761574813697[/tweet]

All is well

Fade

Reaction score
iu

SeahawksCanuck

Reaction score
warden":3fl28s36 said:
The executive Vice President title that they gave Schneider when they extended him makes it near impossible for the Packers to talk to John without the Seahawks permission
I always thought this path was unlikely, but I wonder if there was an argument based more on Pete's role than John's. My understanding is Pete is officially John's boss, although I could have that wrong. A GM with full roster authority and ability to fire the coach (and possibly a title including VP/EVP/President of Football Operations) could arguably be considered a promotion, but it's a stretch given the core job is still the same.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
The article states the hiring was first reported by John McClain of the Houston Chronicle and retreated by Albert Breer of TheMMQB.com and Adam Schefter of ESPN.com