Does Schotty get a head gig after this year?

seahawksny

Reaction score
getnasty":287xy7of said:
Teams that could be looking for new HC are Skins, Denver, Carolina, Browns, Atlanta, Jacksonville, Gaints, Tennessee and maybe Houston and Dallas.

Jets as well

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I believe our OL coach gets some credit for Russell’s development pocket passer as well. How much longer will Pete coach? Would Shott get an opportunity then?

HawkerD

Reaction score
pmedic920":4zvmssmd said:
I’d say it depends on how many spots are available.

He stands a chance but probably not if only 2-3 positions needs filled.

I would agree. That said there are more than 2 or 3 that will open this year.

chris98251

Reaction score
Looks like possibly Carolina, maybe Jets, Cowboys if they get pushed out, Chargers, Bengals again, Cleveland if they keep having issues, Giants, Falcons if they backslide again.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2s4l7wlq said:
Russell's pocket awareness and willingness to step up in the pocket have improved dramatically with Schotty as his OC.Yes, Russ is amazing but he's become even more so with Brian's tutelage along with his own maturation.
I think Wilson's "willingness to step up into the pocket" is not JUST because of Schotts, I think Solari has elevated the play of the O-Line, thus giving Wilson the confidence to "Go There" .
Wilson has been the beneficiary of the Coaching changes two years ago, and the new Coaching have been blessed with a Quarterback of Wilson's caliber.....Symbiosis.

Smellyman

Reaction score
scutterhawk":19cg200i said:
hawksfansinceday1":19cg200i said:
Russell's pocket awareness and willingness to step up in the pocket have improved dramatically with Schotty as his OC.Yes, Russ is amazing but he's become even more so with Brian's tutelage along with his own maturation.
I think Wilson's "willingness to step up into the pocket" is not JUST because of Schotts, I think Solari has elevated the play of the O-Line, thus giving Wilson the confidence to "Go There" .
Wilson has been the beneficiary of the Coaching changes two years ago, and the new Coaching have been blessed with a Quarterback of Wilson's caliber.....Symbiosis.

Yup.

Also he doesn't quite have same escapability juice he used to. He will pick and choose those moments more carefully now.

He is in his prime and everything has been thrown at him. He's got this.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Mark Sanchez was absolutely horrific. It’s debatable what was good Sanchez because of Schotty and flat out bad Sanchez

I will say this though. Schotty does use his tight ends well, he’s come up with some great routes for Lockett, and he is an elite Red Zone caller. So much so, that when we’re in the red zone I’m confident, borderline cocky. I think his run playcalling isn’t as great as last year though. Running plays was the thing Schotty was always good at, but he’s almost become better at calling pass plays and not the usual amazing at calling runs.

I still think they make a good pair. Also glad Solari is here

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
No offensive coordinator or razzle-dazzle scheme has ever won the Super Bowl. If they did, Josh McDaniel would still be head coach somewhere and Sean McVay would be better than he is now. It's the players and the execution, every time. The more time goes on, the less I feel like the scheme is a factor.

Fade

Reaction score
Not at this juncture.

Wilson has to consistently complete tight window throws more than any other QB, and complete passes way above expectation. Schotty is a great Quarterbacks coach, and a solid OC if you have an elite guy like Wilson at the position.
Turn on the film though, Wilson is making a lot out of nothing. NFL execs want to see ingenuity, not vanilla.

It is a fluid situation though, where things could transpire down the road that could make NFL executives around the league take notice. But as of now it's not happening. His best shot is probably with the Seahawks, if Pete were to retire
and the powers that be don't want to start over on offense w/Russ still in place. They would install Schotty as HC, and hire whoever, or keep the existing DC onboard. But that won't happen for at least three years, and that is an eternity in the NFL, and still a long shot. I'm just trying to come up with a scenario where it could happen for him.

Looking around the league at potential openings:

NFC

Pete
Shanny
McVay
Kingsbury

LaFleur
Zimmer
Nagy
Patricia - I think he gets one more season. Stafford injury is an easy scapegoat.

Pederson
Garrett - Will likely be fired if DAL doesn't make the playoffs. I think they make the playoffs though.
Shurmur - Very likely to be fired.
Interim - They already fired their coach.

Payton
Arians - Old, could retire, but I don't think he will.
Rivera - New ownership, could get fired if he doesn't win enough.
Quinn - Very likely to be fired, needs to basically win out.

You're looking at 4 firings at most in the NFC.

WASH - Dan Snyder will have to trade for or hire a HC, and then give him all the power. (Schotty doesn't fit.)
CAR - They have a young QB performing well under Norv Turner. (Schotty doesn't fit.)
ATL - Their issues lay on defense, not offense. (Schotty doesn't fit.)

NYG - Maybe? But I think they would want to go with a bigger hire than Schotty. NYG is his best shot. He could sell to them that he could develop their young QB, and run the football with Barkley to help him get back on track.

AFC

Belichick - It seems like McDaniels is the heir apparent.
Taylor - Cincy doesn't fire head coaches, especially after just one year.
Harbaugh
Reed
Gruden
Reich
Tomlin
McDermott
Lynn
O'Brien - Would get fired if they don't make the playoffs. I think they are making the playoffs though.
Vrabel - Tennesse could be looking to clean house and start all the way over.
Gase - The Jets said he will get one more year. But the Jets said it, so who knows.
Fangio - He looks like a coordinator to me, not a HC, but will probably get one more year.
Flores - The Dolphins just hired him, so he may get one more year.
Marrone - Needs to make the playoffs, or as good as fired.
Kitchens - As good as fired.

CLE - All signs point to Mike McCarthy getting that job. (Schotty doesn't fit.)
JAX - They will look to hire from the Parcells, Belichick, Coughlin tree. (Schotty doesn't fit.)
TEN - Similar to WASH, they will be looking for a big hire, or at the very least a splash hire, as they wipe the slate clean. (Schotty doesn't fit.)

NYJ - Maybe? He coached there in the past. If the owner really likes him, he would have a chance.

The 2 New York teams are his best chance in the next two years. Even then I think it is a very slim chance.

RiverDog

Reaction score
pmedic920":jrml676k said:
I’d say it depends on how many spots are available.

He stands a chance but probably not if only 2-3 positions needs filled.

Honest question: When was the last time the NFL had just 2-3 HC openings? It seems to me that there's always at least 5 and usually 6 or 7 openings each year.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I think he would have a real solid shot at either NY jobs. Has a history with the Jets during their last good run. NYG would like his pedigree, QB development skills and balanced play calling.

But in reality I think Schotty needs to put one more year of top offensive production to get a HC gig.

Threedee

Reaction score
Given how unsuccessful Bradley and Quinn have been, the league might be wary of anyone Pete Carroll coaches. It's bad enough that Cable Guy and Bevell got hired to be assistant coaches and weigh down a couple of franchises.

Funny thing about Quinn is that he replaced a Mike Smith who had built a pretty good Falcons team that just couldn't quite get it done. He led the team to a SB before promptly melting down. They have to be wondering who exactly has what it takes to get the job done.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Threedee":hjoqycar said:
Given how unsuccessful Bradley and Quinn have been, the league might be wary of anyone Pete Carroll coaches. It's bad enough that Cable Guy and Bevell got hired to be assistant coaches and weigh down a couple of franchises.

Funny thing about Quinn is that he replaced a Mike Smith who had built a pretty good Falcons team that just couldn't quite get it done. He led the team to a SB before promptly melting down. They have to be wondering who exactly has what it takes to get the job done.

Problem with the Falcons has not been Smith or Quinn. It's been injuries and player acquisitions.

Big advantage to the Seahawks is how unified the FO is. Too many times coaches don't get much say and then have to make something out of the crap they get.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
scutterhawk":c9f37sre said:
hawksfansinceday1":c9f37sre said:
Good points. Hasn't hurt having Duane Brown at LT either.