Don't fire Darrell Bevell.

Rob12

Reaction score
I think he's done a great job lately, but the caveat to that is he needs to make adjustments quicker, and not wait until our season is almost sunk.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3o1ihbe5 said:
Last three games have been against the #31, #19, and #13 (without four defensive starters) DVOA pass defenses, so it's not surprising that Bevell's had some breathing room. He's called good games in those circumstances. We've also gotten good traction out of Rawls.

Next big test of Bevell will be against St. Louis and Arizona. #3 and #4 pass defenses, assuming Arizona doesn't rest starters. If Bevell can avoid going back to 3rd down bombs when we need two yards to ice the game under that kind of pressure from the scoreboard, I'll give him serious kudos/

Sorry, but people were saying this about Minnesota's defense all week.

It's time people just gave Bevell some credit.

And by the way...

Isn't it funny that with the O-line suddenly playing like an actual O-line (Tom Cable's responsibility) -- suddenly the offense is not just functioning -- but EXCELLING?

Has anyone stopped to think about that for a second?

Rob12

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":zm20it3q said:
MontanaHawk05":zm20it3q said:
Last three games have been against the #31, #19, and #13 (without four defensive starters) DVOA pass defenses, so it's not surprising that Bevell's had some breathing room. He's called good games in those circumstances. We've also gotten good traction out of Rawls.

Next big test of Bevell will be against St. Louis and Arizona. #3 and #4 pass defenses, assuming Arizona doesn't rest starters. If Bevell can avoid going back to 3rd down bombs when we need two yards to ice the game under that kind of pressure from the scoreboard, I'll give him serious kudos/

Sorry, but people were saying this about Minnesota's defense all week.

It's time people just gave Bevell some credit.

And by the way...

Isn't it funny that with the O-line suddenly playing like an actual O-line (Tom Cable's responsibility) -- suddenly the offense is not just functioning -- but EXCELLING?

Has anyone stopped to think about that for a second?

Great point, Rob. And it really makes you wonder if the offensive line was the issue all along. Bevell was calling games from a weakened state due to the poor play of the line.

I think it's definitely possible the Bevell hate has been misplaced.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Credit for the last three weeks. Demerits for taking 3 years to get some sort of quick passing game to counter the blitz (looking at the rams every time we play them) installed.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1ccqu0pv said:

I'll agree to a point with the fact that the defensive rankings of those teams are not considered great. I would expect good offensive production against all of them. BUT, the production and results of what they have been doing when compared to where they have been cannot be ignored. Yes, Bevell has been doing better and has had more "breathing" room. But I would have to say there is a substantial improvement in the O-line and Wilson's new duties.

justafan

Reaction score
JSeahawks":l3f80qes said:
He's got it rolling.

Just quit giving him shiny new toys that he feels he has to force the ball to.

So he was forcing it to Lockett all year?Forcing it to Graham all year?

I thought his problem was he wouldnt use Jimmy enough?Or he asked him to block a couple times a game.

hawk45

Reaction score
I haven't been impressed with how long it seemed to take Bevell to get off the long developing routes when our OL is crap at the beginning/middle of every year, but no question the OL play is the closest this team has to a fatal flaw. This would be a better team if we nixed the Harvin and Graham type deals and built some depth at the OL.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Graham was fine. He was fitting into our offense. He even learned to block.
Plus, Graham doesn't seem to check *any* boxes for Borderline Personality Disordered Pschopath, where Harvin checked a bunch of boxes. There is NO comparison between Graham and Harvin. We'll miss Jimmy; we didn't miss Percy and were better without him.

hawk45

Reaction score
Graham was fine. But we can dominate without him if the line is playing well. That was my point, not smearing Graham.
Any ineffectiveness on Graham's part comes because we struggle to integrate new toys instead of organic, home grown toys. Yet another reason to avoid that type of thing and get some OL depth.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
olyfan63":3i7fo34w said:
Graham was fine. He was fitting into our offense. He even learned to block.
Plus, Graham doesn't seem to check *any* boxes for Borderline Personality Disordered Pschopath, where Harvin checked a bunch of boxes. There is NO comparison between Graham and Harvin. We'll miss Jimmy; we didn't miss Percy and were better without him.
Agree 100%

Cartire

Reaction score
Nice.

Once again proving, Win, youre good. Lose youre bad.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Won't have to fire him.

If this keeps up, somebody else will hire him.

The Outfield

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2gjy1yqv said:
He's got it rolling.

I think this is just so spot on. Solid post, JSeahawks.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":yw0qutmp said:
JSeahawks":yw0qutmp said:
He's got it rolling.

You know, I think there may be a lot to this.

Bevell seems to be better when he calls plays based off of his system, when we throw unique personnel into the mix he seems to really struggle adapting that personnel into his offense.

I can see the comparison with Harvin, but this really doesn't have anything to do with Graham. First off, Graham was in the entire game in SF when we kicked this thing off (just coincidentally, after the bye). Then he was in most of the Pittsburgh game, where our offense was definitely not the problem.

Harvin was forced targets that were outside of the normal offense. We had to tailor make plays for him, and the defense knew those plays so it made it easier to defend. Graham fits into our offense, with some minor tweaking on route options when he's split out, as he's one of the few TE's that can run WR routes. You're not screwing up the offense at that point. Also, Graham averaged about 8 targets a game. Wilson is averaging what, 29 pass attempts a game ? We weren't over targetting Graham. He was getting 20% of the targets in the top 5 of the receiver corps. For a guy that athletic, big and with a huge catch radius, that doesn't seem out of line at all.

This is all about the OL turn around. We're seeing what Wilson can do when he has a consistent pocket and trusts in it.

kf3339

Reaction score
Rob12":10001ve3 said:
I think he's done a great job lately, but the caveat to that is he needs to make adjustments quicker, and not wait until our season is almost sunk.

This.

Why have we started so slow on offense the past three years and only get going when we basically need to play great, or we won't make the playoffs? If we can get on a roll the last half of the season, why can't we also get on a roll the first half of the season as well?

I am very pleased we seem to have turner the corner on offense, and the defense is looking like its old self. It just bugs me that we start so slow every year.

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
kf3339":220v0hyx said:
Rob12":220v0hyx said:

This.

Why have we started so slow on offense the past three years and only get going when we basically need to play great, or we won't make the playoffs? If we can get on a roll the last half of the season, why can't we also get on a roll the first half of the season as well?

I am very pleased we seem to have turner the corner on offense, and the defense is looking like its old self. It just bugs me that we start so slow every year.

I hear ya. Somehow I think its in our DNA to play like this. Better this than peak in Week 10 (cough, cough, Pats, cough).

Rob12

Reaction score
Cartire":1pk4snoe said:
Nice.

We're wrong a lot. The more I think about it, the more I think he was trying to call a game that did something - anything, to hide the team's biggest weakness, which was the offensive line. Calling games from a weakened state like that definitely limits what you can do.

The only problem I've ever had with Darrell Bevell was last year's... Well, you know. That was a tough one to get over. I've never been on the Fire Bevell train.

If I can't name his replacement, I'm not going to call for his job. All things considered, we've had a very good offense over the past three seasons.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Rob12":2icuqep9 said:
Cartire":2icuqep9 said:
Nice.

We're wrong a lot. The more I think about it, the more I think he was trying to call a game that did something - anything, to hide the team's biggest weakness, which was the offensive line. Calling games from a weakened state like that definitely limits what you can do.

The only problem I've ever had with Darrell Bevell was last year's... Well, you know. That was a tough one to get over. I've never been on the Fire Bevell train.

If I can't name his replacement, I'm not going to call for his job. All things considered, we've had a very good offense over the past three seasons.
Not even close.
For half this season Bevell magnified a weak line.
This spread that Seattle is suddenly using a huge portion of the time is a huge departure in both route running and play rhythm from what he called most of the year. Playmakers in space working routes off each other, not play action deep shots. Huge departure.

penihawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":4bnj3s2o said:
Rob12":4bnj3s2o said:
Cartire":4bnj3s2o said:
Nice.

Not even close.
This spread that Seattle is suddenly using a huge portion of the time is a huge departure in both route running and play rhythm from what he called most of the year. Playmakers in space working routes off each other, not play action deep shots. Huge departure.

:13: :13: :13: :13: I said it a few weeks ago and I will say it again. The OC & QB play the first 10 games just amplified the shortcomings in our roster. Our OL has never been good and still isn't but when the ball comes out quick and on time with the threat of #3 running again on the read option it organically makes the O-line better. Kudos to Bevell and Russ for figuring it out. :thirishdrinkers:

Bwarren

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3esgi190 said:
Rob12":3esgi190 said:
Cartire":3esgi190 said:
Nice.

Not even close.

And it only took him 10 weeks to figure out. He is paid pretty good to have the answers and make adjustments. I think Pete and the Ownership told him straight up to figure it out or your gone. Her was sticking to his scheme and not utilizing all his weapons and became very, very predictable. I still believe we need to change our OC for a new look, cant afford another year of a 5-5 start. when the core of this team still intact, it doesn't make sense that the Offense needs to find its way every single year. Oline is an issue of talent that is improving. Strategy and its lack of complexity and scheme is another issue all together. Bevell wont adjust until he is ordered to.