Dorial Beckham Green

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Lost in this is that there are football reasons not to think he is a first rounder too.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":10n52nr0 said:
We have to at least concede, that Seattle drafts in such a way as to really almost be contrarian to league group think. They kind of revel in that it seems. Taking a guy who is besmirched is right in our comfort zone. The ability to use the pain of a draft day shunning is our currency for motivating our players. I just can't speak intelligently to whether or not Seattle internally thinks DGB will make good with that motivation or not.

Taking DGB early would only be contrarian if the rest of the league decided a covered up domestic abuse scandal didn't fit with the post-Rice/Peterson NFL -- and Seattle was comfortable being THAT team. I really cannot see that one iota.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1ak8nri3 said:
All of DGB's problems are down to an immature entitled football player who pissed his college career down the toilet.

You're flat out wrong on this one. Half the guy's family have done time, his mother and eldest brother for drugs. He got adopted as a teenager with his younger brother and was finally given a chance through sport. Before that, there was a time when him, his five siblings and mother were living out of a van. He never knew his dad, god knows what his mum got up to when he was younger.

Before going to college his younger brother (who was adopted with him) got cancer, which he beat after three years of treatment. Meanwhile, this freak of nature superstar was thrust into the limelight as a 5-star recruit and expected to be professional and independent, all after five years of 'normal living'. That's tough.

Either do your research, or don't neglect DGB's background if you're bringing up Irvin's.

kearly

Reaction score
I feel like this guy is Shawn Kemp the WR. By the time Kemp was playing his last season in Seattle, he had 7 kids by 6 different women, and he'd later have an arrest on his record as well. He was a raw athlete who didn't really know how to play the game coming out of college. His teammates helped develop him and when George Karl came aboard in '92, Kemp's game rose to a very high level.

Beckham-Green has that same kind of look and feel to me. If he really cares about football and puts the work in, he will be a household name in the NFL. And a regular on TMZ too. I wouldn't want him in the 1st round, but I'd be excited if Seattle got him in at the end of the 2nd. Seattle can afford to miss at #63 overall, and if this guy pans out he could do for Russell what Randy Moss did for Brady.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":1vyqti31 said:
I feel like this guy is Shawn Kemp the WR. By the time Kemp was playing his last season in Seattle, he had 7 kids by 6 different women, and he'd later have an arrest on his record as well. He was a raw athlete who didn't really know how to play the game coming out of college. His teammates helped develop him and when George Karl came aboard in '92, Kemp's game rose to a very high level.

Beckham-Green has that same kind of look and feel to me. If he really cares about football and puts the work in, he will be a household name in the NFL. And a regular on TMZ too. I wouldn't want him in the 1st round, but I'd be excited if Seattle got him in at the end of the 2nd.
Exactly. He has talent, but is a straight up gamble. With a high degree of not only failure, but embarrassment.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":ng781mng said:
theENGLISHseahawk":ng781mng said:
All of DGB's problems are down to an immature entitled football player who pissed his college career down the toilet.

You're flat out wrong on this one. Half the guy's family have done time, his mother and eldest brother for drugs. He got adopted as a teenager with his younger brother and was finally given a chance through sport. Before that, there was a time when him, his five siblings and mother were living out of a van. He never knew his dad, god knows what his mum got up to when he was younger.

Before going to college his younger brother (who was adopted with him) got cancer, which he beat after three years of treatment. Meanwhile, this freak of nature superstar was thrust into the limelight as a 5-star recruit and expected to be professional and independent, all after five years of 'normal living'. That's tough.

Either do your research, or don't fail to neglect DGB's background if you're bringing up Irvin's.

He is responsible for his actions. His family or background didn't get him kicked out of Mizzou. That's why he pissed his college career away. Nothing else.

And maybe rather than demanding people do their research you should read the points I'm making. Irvin had a messed up life and turned things around big time. He used football as a way out of strife, went to the JUCO ranks and played his arse off, earned the admiration of big schools everywhere (including USC), had his pick of the top schools and chose WVU -- before becoming the best pass rusher in college football. All of his issues were in the past and he could show to teams he was genuinely a changed man.

DGB cannot do this.

Why? Because as I said, he pissed his college career away by getting himself kicked off the Missouri team. Now he's going to the draft hoping a year on the sidelines at Oklahoma will be enough to convince teams he's a changed man, while Irvin could SHOW how football had changed his life for the better over FOUR YEARS of production and no off field issues.

PS -- I've done plenty of research thanks. In fact I reckon very few people have done the kind of research I've done on DGB for the blog. I know he had a messed up life. But that's no excuse for anything. Especially domestic abuse, and domestic abuse cover ups to save your bacon.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":j87oyzu4 said:
SomersetHawk":j87oyzu4 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":j87oyzu4 said:

Either do your research, or don't fail to neglect DGB's background if you're bringing up Irvin's.

He is responsible for his actions. His family or background didn't get him kicked out of Mizzou. That's why he pissed his college career away. Nothing else.

And maybe rather than demanding people do their research you should read the points I'm making. Irvin had a messed up life and turned things around big time. He used football as a way out of strife, went to the JUCO ranks and played his arse off, earned the admiration of big schools everywhere (including USC), had his pick of the top schools and chose WVU -- before becoming the best pass rusher in college football. All of his issues were in the past and he could show to teams he was genuinely a changed man.

DGB cannot do this.

Why? Because as I said, he pissed his college career away by getting himself kicked off the Missouri team. Now he's going to the draft hoping a year on the sidelines at Oklahoma will be enough to convince teams he's a changed man, while Irvin could SHOW how football had changed his life for the better over FOUR YEARS of production and no off field issues.

PS -- I've done plenty of research thanks. In fact I reckon very few people have done the kind of research I've done on DGB for the blog. I know he had a messed up life. But that's no excuse for anything. Especially domestic abuse, and domestic abuse cover ups to save your bacon.

I don't doubt you've done your research, so I was surprised you weren't willing to acknowledge his past in this instance.

I'm not making excuses for him, given what we know I'd stay away at #31, but there's more to it than an 'immature entitled footballer'. Sure, he got himself kicked out, but it's not hard to think his family and background have vastly influenced his decisions and behaviour.

Bruce sure has done fantastically, but let's not compare the the two situations when we don't truly know how different they were.

As far as Beckham goes, he's chosen to try to prove he's turned a new leaf in the NFL, as opposed to doing it in college. I can't blame him for that, I think all top prospects should declare as early as possible. We're now almost a year on from the incident that sent him packing from Mizzou and he's done all he can thus far to not further harm his prospects. Let's next see what sort of shape he turns up to the combine in, and more importantly, what noises are made from the interviews.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":olcaksz9 said:
Exactly. He has talent, but is a straight up gamble. With a high degree of not only failure, but embarrassment.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I just want to express something that might sound like it: Everything you've said about Beckham Green in this thread, it's 90% the same as the stuff I was saying about Kelvin Benjamin last year. Bad hands, raw routes, came from a simplified offense, had major character concerns... I went on record saying he was the one WR in that last draft I didn't want Seattle to touch with a 10 foot pole.

Then he was drafted by Carolina and I immediately smacked my forehead. They were exactly the kind of team that could work for Benjamin. I knew right then that Benjamin would make me look like an idiot for talking him down all Spring.

Fast forward a year, and I think Seattle is now the kind of team that is desperate enough at WR to make a guy like Benjamin productive. Benjamin was hardly a perfect WR last year, but his situation allowed him to be productive. If Seattle trades for Mashall, I could see Beckham Green playing the Alshon Jeffery role for us fairly well. He wouldn't need to be perfect to be productive.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":29dkgypl said:
Attyla the Hawk":29dkgypl said:
Hawkfan77":29dkgypl said:
I'm sorry but what is kbia sports? I'm not doubting the validity of the article posted, but I have never heard of that site before. Is that story published anywhere more reputable?

KBIA is a local radio station. It'd be like something similar on KJR here.
Got it, thanks.

I've heard bits and pieces of what happened, but nothing laid out like that. No way he's drafted in the 1st

Teams tend to look away a bit more when the kid is an athletic freak.

He won't make it to Round 3 .. and I can see a team taking a flyer on him in Round 1.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":9l98s6ci said:
DGB cannot do this.

Why? Because as I said, he pissed his college career away by getting himself kicked off the Missouri team. Now he's going to the draft hoping a year on the sidelines at Oklahoma will be enough to convince teams he's a changed man,

The transgressions differ.

But honestly the only differences between Paul Richardson and DGB is Paul was kicked off his team as a freshman and wasn't good enough to enter into the NFL early -- having 2 seasons to resurrect his career and name.

DGB suffered a similar fate, but had the misfortune of doing so after his sophomore season. Obviously the opportunity to repair his standing was more limited. The value of one uneventful season at Oklahoma insufficient to restore the damage done.

Getting kicked off a team hasn't been the albatross across one's neck that it's being made out to be. The assault is a huge thing, but it's not the first time a player has entered and succeeded in the league with that infamy. Even if we give him no benefit of doubt whatsoever and simply presume he did what has been reported.

Certainly there is a difference between covering up a crime, and victims merely refusing to testify. It sure doesn't seem to have affected Ben Rothlisberger's career any. And those allegations are even more heinous.

I guess I see much of these red flags, as mostly topical reactions to the whims of the news of the day. These kinds of issues aren't new, and even in recent example, not excessive. This is a post Rice/Peterson NFL. But honestly the NFL has shown in recent years, that it just sways to the issue du jour. Rice and Peterson will play again. It'll be news for a couple weeks. And then the public and the league will move on.

This is a talent league, played viciously. By human beings that are qualified for employment by rare and indiscriminate talent, not their ability to exist in society. You'll never have a league of choir boys because God doesn't seem to differentiate from golden boy or sociopath who he bestows that talent to.

In the pantheon of the red flagged, DGB isn't even remarkable. It seems so because the scandal nerve of the NFL is recently cankered. But it's not going to remain so. Probably not even as early as this training camp.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1leixeqj said:
The transgressions differ.

That's an understatement!

Richardson was one of three players dismissed because they stole someone's backpack. DGB has a domestic abuse issue hanging over him in what looks like a classic cover-up job. Not to mention the other drug related issues that were later 'dropped'.

I think Richardson would've had a much easier job justifying his issue to teams vs what DGB faces over the weekend. And whether he had the chance or not, Richardson went to a new school and shone. DGB went to Oklahoma to do the same thing and then bailed without playing a snap.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":3pn8953e said:
Scottemojo":3pn8953e said:

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I just want to express something that might sound like it: Everything you've said about Beckham Green in this thread, it's 90% the same as the stuff I was saying about Kelvin Benjamin last year. Bad hands, raw routes, came from a simplified offense, had major character concerns... I went on record saying he was the one WR in that last draft I didn't want Seattle to touch with a 10 foot pole.

Then he was drafted by Carolina and I immediately smacked my forehead. They were exactly the kind of team that could work for Benjamin. I knew right then that Benjamin would make me look like an idiot for talking him down all Spring.

Fast forward a year, and I think Seattle is now the kind of team that is desperate enough at WR to make a guy like Benjamin productive. Benjamin was hardly a perfect WR last year, but his situation allowed him to be productive. If Seattle trades for Mashall, I could see Beckham Green playing the Alshon Jeffery role for us fairly well. He wouldn't need to be perfect to be productive.
Oddly enough, I have already said he has the potential to be the Benjamin role.

I would be more at ease with him if he had actually played a season after his troubles.

But my biggest dislike of his game is on the field. I have massive respect for smaller players who get after it physically. I love that Agholor isn't afraid to stick his nose in be physical, even without the ball. When I see Beckam do the opposite play after play, it makes me question where his love for the game rates in his priorities. He is a big man who plays small when it comes to contact. Smacks of softness.

But I am not worried about a mistake by JS on this guy either. I found Schneider's interviews recently very reassuring that they are as interested in getting the right personalities and love for the game in players as much as physical talents. JS will do his due diligence on Beckham, and if they draft him, I will be sure they are sure.