Doug Baldwin I believe will hit 1000 yards this year

Basis4day

Reaction score
He got 825 last year, so i don't think it's out of the question if you presume Graham will draw a lot of coverage.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I can definitely see this as a possibility.

Baldwin should easily be Wilson's primary target. They've developed a strong chemistry.

His targets may go down in relative terms. Although I would also expect that he will gain targets by teams electing to focus on Graham more. If Seattle does better at extending drives, that's more plays and more targets there as well.

Baldwin should still see the majority of targets overall. So I do see it as a pretty strong possibility despite the addition of Graham. I just don't see any lessening of Wilson's obvious comfort level with Baldwin. And it's worth noting, that in the latter half of the season, when Wilson started targeting Richardson a lot more -- Baldwin's targets remained pretty consistent.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
hey will get half of what you are predicting. With Lynch being the heart and soul of this team when they need to win...except for the last play of last season I guess...and now Graham here to eat more yards in the passing game, I doubt ADB gets half of that. He has a 1000 yard ego but guessing it will not transpire on the field given the system they have now.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Definitely not out of the realm of reason, he had what like 850 last year? Add in Graham getting a lot of double coverage and LB attention...........I could see Doug having a big year.

BUT, it would require our other WR's to produce as well so Doug doesn't get every team's #1 DB. When that happens Doug doesn't do very well, so he needs guys like Kearse, Lockett and P-Rich when he gets back to produce enough to mix up the other team's DB assignments.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I don't see it happening... especially the TDs.

Doug is not about YAC... at all... and Graham will be getting the targets when we get into the RZ.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2q7gn4k0 said:
Definitely not out of the realm of reason, he had what like 850 last year? Add in Graham getting a lot of double coverage and LB attention...........I could see Doug having a big year.

BUT, it would require our other WR's to produce as well so Doug doesn't get every team's #1 DB. When that happens Doug doesn't do very well, so he needs guys like Kearse, Lockett and P-Rich when he gets back to produce enough to mix up the other team's DB assignments.
How do you figure? He drubbed Revis in the SB. claiming he doesn't do very well vs #1 DB's is a oft repeated myth around here that isn't backed up by actual facts.

It would be more correct to say when Baldwin's covered by #1 DB's that Wilson puts him lower down his list of reads than Wilson actually gets to and thus doesn't see Baldwin is open all the time. To Wilson and the teams misfortune. Hopefully, RW studied the tape and realizes now to keep Baldwin near the top of his reads.

Even in the NFCCG, it took Wilson an eternity to notice Baldwin was wide open for that 3rd and 19 play that led to their first score. People on the sidelines were screaming Baldwin was open. Baldwin was frantically waving his hands. By the time Wilson finally found him and got him the ball, he couldn't get much YAC out of the play.

Wilson takes Baldwin out of games, not opposing DB's.

Sac

Reaction score
I think Tyler Lockett has a better chance of breaking 1000 yards. That kid breaks ankles.

nIdahoSeahawk

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":2778h67i said:
"Incentives: $2.3 million (2015-16): 55 catches, 1000 receiving yards & 9 TDs."

I do believe that the incentive is for those numbers combined over the next two seasons, not per season. It's an incentive created specifically to save the team money if he were to miss significant time. Healthy, those totals are easy to expect over the next two years, and I'm sure the team is betting on him being able to do it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":1dgpbd21 said:
How do you figure? He drubbed Revis in the SB. claiming he doesn't do very well vs #1 DB's is a oft repeated myth around here that isn't backed up by actual facts..

Drubbed? Revis got picked in the end zone, and that was the ONLY catch Doug had.

So yeah, check your own facts. One catch for 3 yards and a pick TD isn't "drubbed" by the loosest of definitions.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I think the word you're looking for is OWNED. As in Revis owned him in the Super Bowl. ONE catch, and it was because of a pick from the ref.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3dmn8lhw said:
SalishHawkFan":3dmn8lhw said:
How do you figure? He drubbed Revis in the SB. claiming he doesn't do very well vs #1 DB's is a oft repeated myth around here that isn't backed up by actual facts..

Drubbed? Revis got picked in the end zone, and that was the ONLY catch Doug had.

So yeah, check your own facts. One catch for 3 yards and a pick TD isn't "drubbed" by the loosest of definitions.
Reading is tech.

http://www.hawkblogger.com/2015/02/doug ... relle.html

At first glance, it seems impossible to conclude that Baldwin played well in Super Bowl XLIX given his meager stat line. My impression having watched the game was that Revis had shut Baldwin down. It was only after watching the "All-22" of the game that I came to realize how wrong I was, which raised a series of other questions.

The most egregious errors, though, were on third down. These are the moments Baldwin has always shined, and he did again in this game. There were key moments in the third and fourth quarter that would have extended drives that simply were missed.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2392 ... -his-prime

Against Randall Cobb during the regular season, Revis showed off his ability to punish more physically talented players who aren't as refined route-runners. In the Super Bowl, he faced the opposite challenge when he trailed Doug Baldwin around the field.

Baldwin was constantly open because Revis couldn't mirror his movement from the slot. The receiver didn't produce because his quarterback, Russell Wilson, played with the same hesitation and fear that was way too common throwing the ball in 2014.

Despite what the statistics suggest, Revis didn't take Baldwin out of the game. Wilson did.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
The way I've been told is the we don't have any WRs that should even be in the NFL how bad they are can never ever not once get open . :sarcasm_on:

Schadie001

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3lkgwymm said:
brimsalabim":3lkgwymm said:
He will need to find a way to create separation quicker if he is to hit those numbers.

Yep. Doug is removed from games by good CBs.

Actually, Doug is removed from games because of an over conservative quarterback. I believe I read an article concerning Baldwin beating revis the entire Super Bowl but Wilson playing to conservative to throw the ball. This will be why Doug doesn't hit that mark, as Doug is rarely removed by cb play.

Schadie001

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":1uz293dz said:
Sgt. Largent":1uz293dz said:
SalishHawkFan":1uz293dz said:

Reading is tech.

At first glance, it seems impossible to conclude that Baldwin played well in Super Bowl XLIX given his meager stat line. My impression having watched the game was that Revis had shut Baldwin down. It was only after watching the "All-22" of the game that I came to realize how wrong I was, which raised a series of other questions.

The most egregious errors, though, were on third down. These are the moments Baldwin has always shined, and he did again in this game. There were key moments in the third and fourth quarter that would have extended drives that simply were missed.

Against Randall Cobb during the regular season, Revis showed off his ability to punish more physically talented players who aren't as refined route-runners. In the Super Bowl, he faced the opposite challenge when he trailed Doug Baldwin around the field.

Baldwin was constantly open because Revis couldn't mirror his movement from the slot. The receiver didn't produce because his quarterback, Russell Wilson, played with the same hesitation and fear that was way too common throwing the ball in 2014.

Despite what the statistics suggest, Revis didn't take Baldwin out of the game. Wilson did.

This!!

OP
OP
theincrediblesok

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
I dont' know who this is but I agree with this guy's comment regarding that Baldwin gifs. Read the comments, they believe the author is trying to be buddy buddy with Doug.

Nice try but: you show 10 plays. One is a Revis blitz. One Baldwin clearly lined up over Browner. The pick/wheel from the slot is perfectly defended. One of Revis's strengths is preparation. He obviously saw that coming. Baldwin only gains separation after he breaks off the "go" part of the wheel route. If Wilson throws it right then, Revis closes on it easily. So that's 7 left plays left. Another is debatable he's open on a crossing route, you should watch the All-22 of Revis vs. Golden Tate from the Detroit game to see how quickly Revis can close that yard or two. It's called a trail-technique.

The last play Revis literally stops running because he's looking back at Wilson and sees him throw it deep. Then there's one where you say it's great play design that he gets open underneath, but again that's play design, not Baldwin "burning Revis". Even if that throw does go to him, it's a 4 yard gain so he should have had 2 catches for 7 yards then? And again, that play is the pick/wheel, so it's designed to go to Kearse. It was a play that was heavily covered by analysts prior to the Super Bowl as a staple of Seattle's offense.

The one on 3rd and 6 in the second quarter there is pressure coming from the offense's left, so Wilson naturally throws quickly to the right BEFORE Baldwin breaks inside and gets separation. Some of these you're not factoring in the context of when he gets separation (for example the two pick/wheel plays). Even the TD, if they were on the right hash instead of the left, there's more room for the ref to get out of Revis's way (or vice-versa).

So even if some of them are debatable, out of 28 designed pass plays (21 attempts, 3 sacks, 3 scrambles, one NE penalty), Baldwin got open against Revis 5 or 6 times. Is it a good idea to stare down a guy that only gets open 1 out of every 5 times (because as shown, Revis didn't line up over him all 28 times, but it was 25 by my count) so that he can get some catches?

Revis's performance on Baldwin was the definition of shut down. As you said, he made Seattle not even look at their #1 receiver, and their #1 receiver got open 5 to 6 times against him for an entire game. There's no shame in this for Baldwin other than the celebration, he still caught a TD after all, but Revis has been doing this for far better receivers for a long time.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":r7xm1yep said:
I dont' know who this is but I agree with this guy's comment regarding that Baldwin gifs. Read the comments, they believe the author is trying to be buddy buddy with Doug.

Nice try but: you show 10 plays. One is a Revis blitz. One Baldwin clearly lined up over Browner. The pick/wheel from the slot is perfectly defended. One of Revis's strengths is preparation. He obviously saw that coming. Baldwin only gains separation after he breaks off the "go" part of the wheel route. If Wilson throws it right then, Revis closes on it easily. So that's 7 left plays left. Another is debatable he's open on a crossing route, you should watch the All-22 of Revis vs. Golden Tate from the Detroit game to see how quickly Revis can close that yard or two. It's called a trail-technique.

The last play Revis literally stops running because he's looking back at Wilson and sees him throw it deep. Then there's one where you say it's great play design that he gets open underneath, but again that's play design, not Baldwin "burning Revis". Even if that throw does go to him, it's a 4 yard gain so he should have had 2 catches for 7 yards then? And again, that play is the pick/wheel, so it's designed to go to Kearse. It was a play that was heavily covered by analysts prior to the Super Bowl as a staple of Seattle's offense.

The one on 3rd and 6 in the second quarter there is pressure coming from the offense's left, so Wilson naturally throws quickly to the right BEFORE Baldwin breaks inside and gets separation. Some of these you're not factoring in the context of when he gets separation (for example the two pick/wheel plays). Even the TD, if they were on the right hash instead of the left, there's more room for the ref to get out of Revis's way (or vice-versa).

So even if some of them are debatable, out of 28 designed pass plays (21 attempts, 3 sacks, 3 scrambles, one NE penalty), Baldwin got open against Revis 5 or 6 times. Is it a good idea to stare down a guy that only gets open 1 out of every 5 times (because as shown, Revis didn't line up over him all 28 times, but it was 25 by my count) so that he can get some catches?

Revis's performance on Baldwin was the definition of shut down. As you said, he made Seattle not even look at their #1 receiver, and their #1 receiver got open 5 to 6 times against him for an entire game. There's no shame in this for Baldwin other than the celebration, he still caught a TD after all, but Revis has been doing this for far better receivers for a long time.
If that comment by an anonymous poster (there is no "they" in that comment section, just one possibly sincere possibly trolling anonymous poster) were stacked up just against Hawkblogger, then I'd give it some weight. But Cian Fahey does the best CB analysis out there. The second link I posted in my rebuttal was a link to his analysis of Revis' declining skills. The small section I highlighted was the part about how Revis did in the SB. It was a neutral experts opinion that Baldwin owned Revis all day, having studied the tape on All-22.

Both hawkblogger and Fahey studied the film on All-22 and came to the same conclusion. That some Anonymous poster who may or may not have studied the tape, but who definitely has a high opinion of himself and may be a Revis fan boy or a Seahawks hater for all I know, prattles off a different opinion is not very convincing IMO.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":1jnmjc53 said:
Sgt. Largent":1jnmjc53 said:
SalishHawkFan":1jnmjc53 said:

Reading is tech.

Of course the QB has some culpability when it comes to a receiver's success. But showing a couple isolated instances of Doug being open doesn't change the stat line of the SB...............which means most everyone's sentiment on this thread holds true. Doug DOES NOT do well against #1's. He just doesn't. Sorry.

On every other team he's at best a #3, at worst a #4 or #5. He knows it too, it's why he didn't even bother to test free agency like Golden did.

Tical21

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3ol3ylym said:
SalishHawkFan":3ol3ylym said:
Sgt. Largent":3ol3ylym said:
SalishHawkFan":3ol3ylym said:

Reading is tech.

Of course the QB has some culpability when it comes to a receiver's success. But showing a couple isolated instances of Doug being open doesn't change the stat line of the SB...............which means most everyone's sentiment on this thread holds true. Doug DOES NOT do well against #1's. He just doesn't. Sorry.

On every other team he's at best a #3, at worst a #4 or #5. He knows it too, it's why he didn't even bother to test free agency like Golden did.
I don't particularly think he's great, but he beat man-to-man coverage all day long in the Super Bowl, often quite badly. Kudos to Bevell for calling man-beaters consistently, and getting guys open. When you watch that tape, it is mindblowing how open several receivers were on just about every play. Wilson played scared. It usually doesn't hurt him, as we find ways to win in the end, but there is no way you can't watch the tape from that game and not become mightily concerned about his ability as a decision maker in the pocket.

Hawks46

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3hcnosn6 said:
Depending on what happens with Wilson's deal, some people are thinking of him as a potential cap casualty next year, either releasing or trading him to free up $4 million for Wilson.

If Lockett plays well, I see this as likely. And probably a lot sooner than people think.