Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/guga31bb/status/903638974186610688[/tweet]

Popeyejones

Reaction score
IrishNW":36l8qxc5 said:
Popeyejones":36l8qxc5 said:
IrishNW":36l8qxc5 said:
Popeyejones":36l8qxc5 said:
Hsu retweeted someone listing all the great young depth the Bears have at Dline, which is a weird thing to retweet unless we're talking Hicks.

Hicks was also on the list of D-lineman making between 6 and 10 mil that Hsu retweeted, which is almost entirely made up up guys who almost definitely aren't moving.

CONCLUSION: All signs Hicks. :2thumbs:

EDIT: Also worth saying that like everyone else who doesn't enjoy self-flagellation I don't watch Bears games so I don't know much about Hicks beyond his reputation (read: I have nothing to base the fit or impact of him on the Hawks), but IMO either Hsu doesn't know what he's talking about or its Akiem Hicks or nobody.

I dont see any re tweets about hicks

There are two retweets you have to look across to come to Hicks as the answer.

The first is a retweet of a list of D-lineman who make between 6 and 10 million that the Hawks could be targeting, of which Hicks is on. He's retweeting it because one of the guys he's talking about is likely on that list.

The second is a retweet of a list of all of the great young d-line depth on the Bears, of which Hicks isn't on.

From the first retweet you can instantly narrow out most of those guys, as there's no chance they're being moved. Hicks is one of the few guys left.

For the second retweet it's just super bizarre for a Hawks beat writer to retweet a list of the Bears' great young d-line depth unless the notable absence of Hicks is the meaningful part of it.

Thats the one im not seeing

It comes ten tweets after the one with the table with Hicks on it (six minutes after it in clock time).

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Jville":3n54cyd3 said:

Great minds think alike. This is how you narrow the field of likely possibilities. As I'm thinking through this trying to identify the possible target, here are some likely criteria ...

1) I think we can probably safely say that it's NOT going to be a DL who's at the very top of the list in terms of salary. The range that you have listed here I think is fairly good bet.

2) It's likely to be a team whose prospects for 2017 (record wise) aren't great. They would be projected by many to have a bad to mediocre W-L Record. It's likely NOT a projected playoff team.

3) It's likely to be a team with several needs. If the rumors were true that the Hawks were shopping Jeremy Lane, it's a team that specifically has needs at CB.

So, given all that ... how does that narrow down our list?

Personally, I'm wondering if Fletcher Cox might also be a possible target.

massari

Reaction score
Def between Sheldon and Hicks. The only two contracts that make sense.

IrishNW

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":3nhc5q7o said:
Jville":3nhc5q7o said:

Great minds think alike. This is how you narrow the field of likely possibilities. As I'm thinking through this trying to identify the possible target, here are some likely criteria ...

1) I think we can probably safely say that it's NOT going to be a DL who's at the very top of the list in terms of salary. The range that you have listed here I think is fairly good bet.

2) It's likely to be a team whose prospects for 2017 (record wise) aren't great. They would be projected by many to have a bad to mediocre W-L Record. It's likely NOT a projected playoff team.

3) It's likely to be a team with several needs. If the rumors were true that the Hawks were shopping Jeremy Lane, it's a team that specifically has needs at CB.

So, given all that ... how does that narrow down our list?

Personally, I'm wondering if Fletcher Cox might also be a possible target.

I dont think it has to be a team that needs a corner. Its possible Lane gets traded completely separate from acquiring a DL. I think we are on the right track with the current salary cap hit.

Now are we trying to acquire serious star power or just depth? If its star power I would say they would need to be relatively young.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Let's not forget about signing bonus'. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you trade a guy his signing bonus doesn't carry to the new team. So a guy like Marcel Darreus (just an example) has a cap hit between $8 and 12m per year for the remainder of his contract. Those kind of guys could fall in the range too.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Clint Hurtt, Seahawks DL coach was formerly with the Bears, so there maybe a link to Hicks. Hicks may be a good bet as the target. Considering that Malik was being looked at in 5T spot (Red Bryant role), it makes sense that they would be targeting someone who can fit that role plus provide an interior pass rush as a 3T. Looks like Hicks profile fits those.

Jville

Reaction score
I'm not advocating moving on from any one player. But it is interesting that the dead money hit for releasing Jeremy Lane would be $5,250,000. That is a number that matches up with the savings to be realized with the Baldwin restructure.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Floridahawk79":2tfntdia said:
Hicks and Jon Ryan both went to University of Regina. HSU has recent pic of Ryan on his twitter - Just fueling the fire

LOL. Now we're REALLY going full on nerd mode here. :D (I resemble that at times, by the way)
nerds.jpg

Still, an Akiem Hicks WOULD make sense from another standpoint. Hicks is in the final year of his deal. Carroll, Schneider, and company LOVE young guys who are in the final year of their deals -- makes 'em HUNGRY!!!

Edit to Add:

Shout out to Atylla for finding this. He cited this in another thread and I'm going to go ahead and post this here. Intriguing stuff on Akiem Hicks ...

http://bearswire.usatoday.com/2017/06/21/akiem-hicks-was-one-of-leagues-best-on-third-down-in-2016/

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Jville":190kcsi3 said:
I'm not advocating moving on from any one player. But it is interesting that the dead money hit for releasing Jeremy Lane would be $5,250,000. That is a number that matches up with the savings to be realized with the Baldwin restructure.

Just a coincidence IMO.

This restructure was for one reason, and one reason only, to FREE up cap space to go get a quality OT or DL, and not just to break even on releasing Lane.

In fact, with Elliot's injury last night I don't see how we even trade Lane now. Going into the season with Thorpe and Nesir as your 4th and 5th DB is sketchy at best without Lane.

IrishNW

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":2hld5rfk said:
Sheldon Richardson? ... maybe yes ... maybe no according to Davis HSU ...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/903689587230294016[/tweet]

sources....yeah....

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Love Doug Baldwin!

This is good solid team move and secures as guaranteed a very large part of his recently redone contract.

He should remain a Seahawks player for his career.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
dadof3":lz1mkxyn said:
The secondary owes Doug dinner
Why? Instead of waiting to be paid Doug gets a lot more money up front. Every player on the team would want to do it.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Thank you Doug for helping the team add one of the best defensive lineman in the game who's in his prime!

Latest posts