Doug Baldwin signs extension for 4 years, $46 million

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Popeyejones":t9tt9d19 said:
This is a lot of money for a guy who played out of his friggin mind for 5 games last year, but for the other 4 and 2/3rds years of his career has been between a decent #2 and decent #3.

That said, he's not making that much more than Marvin Jones, and like, Marvin Jones. :lol:

TBH I much prefer Tate as an all around player and thought his skillset better fit Wilson, but I don't think this is a bad signing or anything, and I understand both the logic of it and the dollar amount.

It will be a tougher pill to swallow if Baldwin goes back to the 700-800 yards and 3-5 TD guy he was for the first four years of his career and first two-thirds of last year. The 80% catch rate and his explosion to close out last season are totally unsustainable, but he doesn't need to sustain those level for this to be a good contract for the Hawks.

Final Verdict: like everything it comes with questions, which means it sounds pretty fair and about right.

Tate is an amazing talent and will have success in the league but he doesn't cross all the I's and dot all the T's when you consider what this regime is looking for in core players.

The philosophy of this FO is all about team work and buying in. Developing a core group of players that help to develop future core players is critical and is the only way to sustain success in the cap era.

From an outside point of view I can understand why someone would covet Tate over Baldwin but when applying the philosophy of our FO, Baldwin makes much more sense.

At the end of their careers I really don't think there will be a comparison between the two.

Own The West

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2s2ml30d said:
OK, but Popeye thinks it's a signing with question marks so this isn't that important.

How could it? A real receiver like Marvin Jones isn't even on there...

v1rotv2

Reaction score
He is a locker room leader.
He is a great route runner.
He has great hands.
He does not get hurt.

The guy is a remarkable player. It's great to see him get rewarded for all he is and does.

A

Anonymous

v1rotv2":zikx5882 said:
He has great hands.
He's not afraid to make a catch across the middle.
He does not get hurt.

The guy is a remarkable player. It's great to see him get rewarded for all he is and does.

FIFY

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
From Kapadia tweet...

A league source tells ESPN's Dan Graziano that Doug Baldwin's contract includes $12M guaranteed at signing. He receives a $7 million signing bonus, a $4 million roster bonus paid July 4 and a $1 million salary. An additional $12.25M is guaranteed for injury. Of that, $7.75 million becomes fully guaranteed in February 2017, and the other $4.5M is fully guaranteed in February of 2018.

253hawk

Reaction score
Geologic":2w3h620q said:
I love Doug and how he always celebrates with non alcoholic Apple Juice.

IRvzeOX.gif

v1rotv2

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":3h14pjy6 said:
v1rotv2":3h14pjy6 said:
He has great hands.
He's not afraid to make a catch across the middle.
He does not get hurt.

FIFY

Thanks for the addition. I had forgot to mention that but it's another thing I love about his game.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
better deal when you consider it's an extension, so the avarage over 5 seasons is lower than the 11. whatever.

He's earned it. Showed up and played hard his whole career. Tough. Where would wilson be in his development without such a dependable guy who does it the right way?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
So I ran through some yearly numbers for Doug that make sense to me... but this is just a guess.

In 2016, his cap hit projection is $8.0M, up slightly from his former cap hit of $6.325M. The $8M consists of his $1M base salary, his $4M roster bonus and his prorated signing bonus of $3.0M ($1.6M from his prior contract and $1.4M from his extension).

In 2017, his cap hit projection is $8.4M (assumes a base salary of $7M and his prorated signing bonus of $1.4M).

In 2018, his cap hit projection is $9.4M ($8.0M base salary and the prorated signing bonus).

In 2019, his cap hit projection is $10.4M ($9.0M base... ).

And in 2020, his cap hit projection is $11.4M ($10M base...).

Assuming that I'm in the ballpark, it looks pretty darn team-friendly.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/PaulGAllen/status/747959295090667520[/tweet]

Money well spent! :irishdrinkers:

Jville

Reaction score
Doug Baldwin contract details from profootballtalk >>> [urltargetblank]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/06/29/doug-baldwin-gets-12-million-fully-guaranteed-at-signing/[/urltargetblank]

Popeyejones

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":27cmcw08 said:
Jville":27cmcw08 said:
6 Things You Should Know About Doug Baldwin >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.hawkblogger.com/2016/06/6-things-you-should-know-about-doug-baldwin.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+HawkBlogger+%28Hawk+Blogger%29[/urltargetblank]MostEfficientWRs

OK, but Popeye thinks it's a signing with question marks so this isn't that important.

None of that contradicts a single thing I said.

I concluded that IMO it is a fair value deal.

What are you catching feelings over? That I had the temerity to talk about potential upsides and downsides in what I think is a fair value deal?. :lol:

Edit: just to state the obvious, Allen's deal is also a fair one, and like any fair negotiation between two sides also comes with question marks. If you're upset that I think questions marks come with fair deals and are worth parsing out I don't know what tell you. I don't homer out on fair deals my team makes either. (I was pretty critical of the Torrey signing, for instance).

Largent80

Reaction score
Hey Popeye, since you are here, I guess you are possibly looking for players off our roster to get the 9ers to 5 wins?

Sorry, Baldwin can't/won't help...... :twisted:

HansGruber

Reaction score
Best news of the offseason so far. ADB is a beast. One of the toughest receivers I've ever seen, up there with Steve Smith. Guy just makes plays, period.

I keep hearing people dog him for lighting it up late last season. That's funny. If you can't come up with something bad to say, use something good to insult him. Only a hater makes that insult. His late streak last season was enjoyable for fans and helped drive the team forward when Beast was out.

ADB is one of my all time faves. Right up there with Blades and Largent. So stoked right now.

Latest posts