Doug Baldwin signs extension for 4 years, $46 million

kearly

Reaction score
Doug cemented himself as a core player last season. Extending him was a slam dunk. Just wish it had happened before Hurns and Jones established such a lofty price for league average players. It's kind of funny that his deal Triples the amount allegedly offered to Golden Tate, but strangely I'm not too worried about baldwin being too expensive. He's the go to guy on a very good passing offense. He's more or less what Wes Welker was in NE, if those pats teams had passed less. A top receiver by results.

bighawk

Reaction score
Well deserved when they chose Baldwin over Tate. The decision I agreed with because he brings leadership to the young guys. Congratulations Doug you deserve it.

sutz

Reaction score
kearly":1r1fp06k said:
Doug cemented himself as a core player last season. Extending him was a slam dunk. Just wish it had happened before Hurns and Jones established such a lofty price for league average players. It's kind of funny that his deal Triples the amount allegedly offered to Golden Tate, but strangely I'm not too worried about baldwin being too expensive. He's the go to guy on a very good passing offense. He's more or less what Wes Welker was in NE, if those pats teams had passed less. A top receiver by results.
In all fairness, the market has changed a bit since Tate walked because of his contract.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Ruminator":37gl2ael said:
I haven't looked at any numbers, but I imagine he'll soon start to threaten a couple of Largent's team records. Either way, the Baldwin legacy has begun.

Uhh, I love ADB as much as the next guy, but he isn't even a third of the way to Largent's catch/yards/TD totals. He's not even halfway to Brian Blades catch total, and barely halfway to his yards total.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
God I love how Pete and John operate. Remember when Tim Ruskell let Hutchinson, a core guy, walk? Never would've happened with this regime.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
bighawk":2j5qqoer said:
Well deserved when they chose Baldwin over Tate. The decision I agreed with because he brings leadership to the young guys. Congratulations Doug you deserve it.

They didn't choose Baldwin over Tate, they chose (rhymes with Marvin .. don't want to trigger bjorn's PTSD) over Tate. And unfortunately that happened.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Pedestrian pay. Haha. Congrats DB. Well deserved. I also think he will have a bigger leadership role in locker room with the team and pay reinforcing his importance to this team.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
I wonder how much more cap space we have
I remember reading that if we signed him for ten mil we would get almost 3 more in room cuz his current salary rolls into it as well
Im sure we at least gained 2 mil more so it looks like we could have 12 mil more for just this year available
In Pete and John we trust

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":15sr0rw3 said:
Woohoo! Good news!
:229031_thewave:

Baldwin made about $11M over his first 5 seasons. This is a nice reward for a guy who just shows up, plays great, and causes no problems.

Well said. Very happy for him.

No longer angry, now he can be Affirmed Doug Baldwin.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
Awesome news, just what I needed to start my day.

I guess this makes him the highest paid "pedestrian" receiver in the league now. :stirthepot: :irishdrinkers: :2thumbs:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
This is a lot of money for a guy who played out of his friggin mind for 5 games last year, but for the other 4 and 2/3rds years of his career has been between a decent #2 and decent #3.

That said, he's not making that much more than Marvin Jones, and like, Marvin Jones. :lol:

TBH I much prefer Tate as an all around player and thought his skillset better fit Wilson, but I don't think this is a bad signing or anything, and I understand both the logic of it and the dollar amount.

It will be a tougher pill to swallow if Baldwin goes back to the 700-800 yards and 3-5 TD guy he was for the first four years of his career and first two-thirds of last year. The 80% catch rate and his explosion to close out last season are totally unsustainable, but he doesn't need to sustain those level for this to be a good contract for the Hawks.

Final Verdict: like everything it comes with questions, which means it sounds pretty fair and about right.

iigakusei

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1uafftz0 said:
This is a lot of money for a guy who played out of his friggin mind for 5 games last year, but for the other 4 and 2/3rds years of his career has been between a decent #2 and decent #3.

That said, he's not making that much more than Marvin Jones, and like, Marvin Jones. :lol:

TBH I much prefer Tate as an all around player and thought his skillset better fit Wilson, but I don't think this is a bad signing or anything, and I understand both the logic of it and the dollar amount.

It will be a tougher pill to swallow if Baldwin goes back to the 700-800 yards and 3-5 TD guy he was for the first four years of his career and first two-thirds of last year. The 80% catch rate and his explosion to close out last season are totally unsustainable, but he doesn't need to sustain those level for this to be a good contract for the Hawks.

Final Verdict: like everything it comes with questions, which means it sounds pretty fair and about right.

He wasn't going to accept less than Hurns or Allen (nor should he). The market was set - the rest is irrelevant. He definitely wasn't going to accept Torrey Smith money :D

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
Popeyejones":a8gw7027 said:

Baldwin didn't get this money just because of the last 6 games of last year. He has been an extremely consistent WR for us his entire career. He has earned this money.

Like someone else said, he is essentially our Welker type of receiver - efficient, steady and clutch on those third downs and for us, scramble plays. At this point Wilson and him have a great rapport and that is valuable. We haven't had the passing offense historically (and I doubt that changes much this year despite what everyone else is expecting) for anyone in our offense to have high counting numbers. But that doesn't matter, efficiency and productivity per target are what the Seahawks value and that is what was rewarded here. Baldwin with Brees or Brady would be putting up the numbers you covet.

This figure would have been crazy 3 years ago, but the continued increase in cap has inflated salaries across the board. This is similar money to Allen, Cobb and the like and that is the exact company he belongs in.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
glad it got done now and didnt become a distraction. hopefully he keeps being angry and continues to prove his point on the field.

Jville

Reaction score
6 Things You Should Know About Doug Baldwin >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.hawkblogger.com/2016/06/6-things-you-should-know-about-doug-baldwin.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+HawkBlogger+%28Hawk+Blogger%29[/urltargetblank]MostEfficientWRs

Seattle is now his home. He recently got engaged to a Seattle woman, and has been upfront about his desire to settle down in this area. It is people like Baldwin who are the bedrock of any great team. Quality person. Ascending player. Tireless worker. Those who know little will think he got too much money. Those who know Baldwin realize the Seahawks have invested wisely.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Jville":34zistpz said:
6 Things You Should Know About Doug Baldwin >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.hawkblogger.com/2016/06/6-things-you-should-know-about-doug-baldwin.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+HawkBlogger+%28Hawk+Blogger%29[/urltargetblank]MostEfficientWRs

OK, but Popeye thinks it's a signing with question marks so this isn't that important.

Jville

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1upbyhpl said:
OK, but Popeye thinks it's a signing with question marks so this isn't that important.

That's ok, Popeye is playing catch up ..... he doesn't know Doug Baldwin like we know Doug Baldwin.

Last season there was another 49er fan (not popeye) in the NFL forum that asserted that Baldwin didn't measure up to the talent of Crabtree. The difference between imagery and production is found in the results and in the man. We know the difference.