Doug Farrar: How can RBs become more useful receivers?

ivotuk

Reaction score
The All-22: How can running backs become more useful receivers?

OK. Getting Carson up to 50 touches is a change in philosophy, but what do those touches look like? Last season, Carson had 22 catches on 27 targets for 162 yards and no touchdowns. Not exactly earth-shattering numbers.

Schottenheimer’s decree that Carson should see 50 targets brought about an article by Ben Baldwin of The Athletic in which Baldwin asserted that throwing to running backs doesn’t really make any sense at all.

Using the Expected Points Added (EPA) metric, Baldwin made a compelling, though general, statistical case that running backs simply aren’t efficient in the passing game the way receivers and tight ends are — and that’s even when you eliminate the simple dump-offs to backs out of the backfield and factor in running backs catching passes from the slot.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2019 ... receivers/

vin.couve12

Reaction score
RBs are your best creators with the ball in their hands, more often than not. Also Ben Baldwin, like Kenneth Arthur, is a running back and running game bigot. They have a non-stop agenda to turn the Hawks into a passing offense.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
I haven't read the article, but on the surface this seems like an overgeneralized statistical argument that lacks context. I'm sure statistically throwing to rb's is less efficient on the whole, because on the whole most RB catches are dump offs.

But if you look at it on a case by case basis, i'd be surprised if that was true for all teams and all running backs. Do you think the Patriots where making a statistical mistake throwing to White like crazy last season? Or the Saints throwing to Kamara? If the running back is one of the best playmakers on your offense (which Carson no doubt is) it makes sense to get him the ball any way you can.

Look at who else is on the roster catching passes. There's Locket and a whole bunch of unknowns and rookies. I'm not sure I'd buy an argument stating that balls thrown to Ursua, Malik Turner, or Vannet are statistically superior simply because they aren't WR's. There needs to be more context.

But again, I haven't read the article because i'm too cheap to pay for my sports analysis.

xray

Reaction score
The Hawks drafted to utilize the pass game more this year . They will pass to everybody that is eligible ; which includes the RBs . Many will be shocked that the Hawks won't lead the league in rushing this season ; but they will score faster and more often . IMO GO HAWKS

IndyHawk

Reaction score
xray":hw1466j6 said:
The Hawks drafted to utilize the pass game more this year . They will pass to everybody that is eligible ; which includes the RBs . Many will be shocked that the Hawks won't lead the league in rushing this season ; but they will score faster and more often . IMO GO HAWKS
Ha Ha :177692:
Not to beat on a dead Horse..
For one thing RW on short passes has not shown
he is reliable to make it happen.
I'd love to see it used a lot more but we have been
waiting 8 years..

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Carson likes to tuck the ball away & punish would be tacklers, I don't like the idea of exposing his rib cage whilst he's reaching up to haul in a pass.
Receivers are being trained to try and do more reaching out to catch the ball, but there is a downside to doing that too much....Just ask some of Kam Chancellor's victims.
I could be wrong, but I don't think that Russ is unable to throw those passes, I just think that he's been reluctant to expose his pass catchers to unnecessary punishment.

xray

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2xxmuksh said:
xray":2xxmuksh said:
waiting 8 years..

I think that it will be in Wilson's benefit ...to scatter the ball around and show that scrambling is a second choice. I have always wondered if Wilson 's intangibles were not used to capacity so far . He can throw short ...but the Hawks don't seem to like him there. Oh well .

xray

Reaction score
xray":3g7roejs said:
IndyHawk":3g7roejs said:
xray":3g7roejs said:
waiting 8 years..

I think that it will be in Wilson's benefit ...to scatter the ball around and show that scrambling is a second choice. I have always wondered if Wilson 's intangibles were not used to capacity so far . He can throw short ...but the Hawks don't seem to like him there. Oh well .
To expand on that...Wilson to Ursua will be a plays we see over and over this season...just sayin

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
If a team has a set of RB's that can double as receivers, why not utilize them in that manner? Obviously, the more players you have that can catch the ball, the more opposing DC's have to account for who's going to get the ball.

chris98251

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2gqh2cu0 said:
Carson likes to tuck the ball away & punish would be tacklers, I don't like the idea of exposing his rib cage whilst he's reaching up to haul in a pass.
Receivers are being trained to try and do more reaching out to catch the ball, but there is a downside to doing that too much....Just ask some of Kam Chancellor's victims.
I could be wrong, but I don't think that Russ is unable to throw those passes, I just think that he's been reluctant to expose his pass catchers to unnecessary punishment.

Obviously you watch way to many body catchers, guys that use their hands have always reached for the ball. Most do have some sort of rib protector, some are vain and don't want it to look chunky around them.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":25doe216 said:
an article by Ben Baldwin of The Athletic in which Baldwin asserted that throwing to running backs doesn’t really make any sense at all.
I think Bill Walsh and Roger Craig could easily refute this assertion. RB Roger Craig led the 49ers in receptions with 76 in their 1988 Super Bowl year. WR Jerry Rice was 2nd with 64 receptions. FB Tom Rathman 3rd with 44 receptions. Fourth on the list was WR Mike Wilson with only 33 receptions. That was for a Pure and original WCO passing offense.

FYI, Roger Craig also had 1500+ rushing yards on 310 attempts.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
To add to my previous post... in 1988 the 49ers were 2nd in the league in rushing yards and 7th in attempts.

In that same year they were 10th in passing offense and 15th in passing attempts.

Ball control wins championships, even on a 'passing' team, and swing passes to RB's is definitely ball control.

Oh, and their defense was only ranked 8th in total defense, and in scoring defense.

Latest posts