DPI against Brandon Browner and the rules

ivotuk

Reaction score
Somebody else here said it, and I agree, Brandon should have never shoved the receiver even if the pass was uncatchable.

The rules state:
Actions that do not constitute pass interference include but are not limited to:

The Richard Sherman DPI:

(a) Incidental contact by a defender’s hands, arms, or body when both players are competing for the ball, or neither player is looking for the ball. [b]If there is any question whether contact is incidental, the ruling shall be no interference.[/b]

The Brandon Browner DPI:

(c) Contact that would normally be considered pass interference, but the pass is clearly uncatchable by the involved players.

The Golden Tate OPI:

Actions that do not constitute offensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Incidental contact by a receiver’s hands, arms, or body when both players are competing for the ball or neither player is looking for the ball.

(b) Inadvertent touching of feet when both players are playing the ball or neither player is playing the ball.

(c) Contact that would normally be considered pass interference, but the ball is clearly uncatchable by involved players.

Note 1: If there is any question whether player contact is incidental, the ruling should be no interference.

And of course the Sidney Rice non-call:

(f) Hooking a receiver in an attempt to get to the ball in such a manner that it causes the receiver’s body to turn prior to the ball arriving.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/passinterference

I just wish that the NFL could get their referees together and FORCE them to be consistent! From crew to crew, game to game, it should be the Referees who practice consistency so that players don't have to re-learn rules from week to week!

The thought of how the fans, players and the NFL has to cater to the referees union pisses me off to no end because i believe the referees inconsistencies are partly to blame for players injuries! "Don't hit them high" "Oops, that guys low hit ended his season" "Don't hit them low" "There's another concussion"

I believe if they just left the players alone and quit screwing with the rules there would be a lot less injuries. Nobody knows how to safely tackle better than the players and for the most part, nobody wants to protect their fellow players careers more than other players. Very few of them want to risk a war of attrition where one team retaliates for injuries caused by another.

Ugh! *steps down off of soap box*

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Yep, we got screwed, and every single Indy fan thinks the officials were in the right because they don't actually understand the rules. Covered PI and more in my post like 2 weeks ago about how the Legion of Boom appears to get away with murder when they really don't.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
They were all bad calls, but Browner should have let the ball go harmlessly over his head. Don't even leave it up to interpretation.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2lo43x2m said:
Yep, we got screwed, and every single Indy fan thinks the officials were in the right because they don't actually understand the rules. Covered PI and more in my post like 2 weeks ago about how the Legion of Boom appears to get away with murder when they really don't.

Unfortunately it seems like the refs don't even know the rules anymore.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
The refs totally bought into Hilton's flopping and the crowd's whining for flags. Unacceptable from a veteran NFL crew. The game has no integrity unless the plays are called as they're seen.

TriCHawk

Reaction score
For those of us who can't look at twitter at work (or don't have cell service), can you repeat what that tweet said?

davidonmi

Reaction score
Peter King @SI_PeterKing
Pass interference in the NFL is:
a. a joke.
b. a travesty.
c. utterly foolish.
d. called different by every crew.
e. all of the above.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
davidonmi":25csm5v3 said:
Peter King @SI_PeterKing
a. a joke.
b. a travesty.
c. utterly foolish.
e. all of the above.

LOL! Thank you Peter King!

I like the response that said "E because of D."

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
davidonmi":23sha8hj said:
Peter King @SI_PeterKing
a. a joke.
b. a travesty.
c. utterly foolish.
e. all of the above.
Talk about spot on!

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Look I'm fine with the refs calling PI on the Seahawks so long as it was consistent. Unfortunately, that's not what happened. Tate get's called for an OPI for barely touching the defender, and yet Wayne completely shoves off Browner on the 2- point conversion and nothing happens.

Sherman get's called for a PI - A huge play in that it extends the drive for the Colts to get the go ahead TD. Then Rice has a guy draped all over him on the final drive and nothing is called. Totally inexcusable.

To be clear- I don't think The OPI was legit, nor do I think that the Sherman PI was called for. Browner I could see, however the ball was so badly overthrown I kept screaming at the TV that it was uncatchable. (Reminds me if a college game when the ball lands 3 yards out of bounds and they still call PI>) But Browner has to be smarter than that.

In conclusion if the refs call the Rice PI than I'd be fine with everything else as it would have given Seattle a good shot at the win, instead they botch that and then the is effectively over 2 plays later.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
This is the most important part of the rule to me, and one that Referees should heed a little more:

Note 1: If there is any question whether player contact is incidental, the ruling should be no interference.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
jlwaters1":1u82ae0j said:
Look I'm fine with the refs calling PI on the Seahawks so long as it was consistent. Unfortunately, that's not what happened. Tate get's called for an OPI for barely touching the defender, and yet Wayne completely shoves off Browner on the 2- point conversion and nothing happens.

Sherman get's called for a PI - A huge play in that it extends the drive for the Colts to get the go ahead TD. Then Rice has a guy draped all over him on the final drive and nothing is called. Totally inexcusable.

To be clear- I don't think The OPI was legit, nor do I think that the Sherman PI was called for. Browner I could see, however the ball was so badly overthrown I kept screaming at the TV that it was uncatchable. (Reminds me if a college game when the ball lands 3 yards out of bounds and they still call PI>) But Browner has to be smarter than that.

In conclusion if the refs call the Rice PI than I'd be fine with everything else as it would have given Seattle a good shot at the win, instead they botch that and then the is effectively over 2 plays later.

Yeah that was the issue I had as well.

While calls were bad against both teams throughout the game, it seems like for the PI category that the refs were heavily favoring the Colts.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I used to be a big whiner about bad calls. As a fan(atic) I would many times see calls and be utterly pissed off about it, only to see it in slow motion replay a few times and grudgingly realize it wasn't a big deal.

Being fans, I don't like to complain about calls too much on public forums as it makes us look like whiners. Other fans think that all the calls that went their way were legit, and all the bad calls we got were also legit, because their team won from it. I've seen a few posts from 49ers fans that were just livid about the avalanche of shitty calls against their darling 40whiners in that game against us, and that there was no way this team had enough talent to beat their darlings. Seriously, there are people that are like this, and I don't like being guilty by association.

That being said, I find it interesting that there are a lot of national media analysts that are saying the calls were definately one sided and there was poor officiating that game. I wonder if the Seahawks still send plays/calls in to the league for review, and if so, what was said about them.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
I completely understand that different crews are going to see calls differently, especially the PI calls at high speed. But I do expect that they see and call them consistantly the same for both teams in any given game and that is what did not happen this game.

pehawk

Reaction score
Pass interference is a way to sway momentum and/or outcomes. The fact pass interference is being called LESS is the scary part. And yes, it's being called less. It's saved to swing momentum.

It's very depressing. For real.

firebee

Reaction score
ivotuk":1cij5ck2 said:
Somebody else here said it, and I agree, Brandon should have never shoved the receiver even if the pass was uncatchable.

The rules state:
Actions that do not constitute pass interference include but are not limited to:

The Richard Sherman DPI:

(a) Incidental contact by a defender’s hands, arms, or body when both players are competing for the ball, or neither player is looking for the ball. [b]If there is any question whether contact is incidental, the ruling shall be no interference.[/b]

The Brandon Browner DPI:

(c) Contact that would normally be considered pass interference, but the pass is clearly uncatchable by the involved players.

The Golden Tate OPI:

Actions that do not constitute offensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Incidental contact by a receiver’s hands, arms, or body when both players are competing for the ball or neither player is looking for the ball.

(b) Inadvertent touching of feet when both players are playing the ball or neither player is playing the ball.

(c) Contact that would normally be considered pass interference, but the ball is clearly uncatchable by involved players.

And of course the Sidney Rice non-call:

(f) Hooking a receiver in an attempt to get to the ball in such a manner that it causes the receiver’s body to turn prior to the ball arriving.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/passinterference

I just wish that the NFL could get their referees together and FORCE them to be consistent! From crew to crew, game to game, it should be the Referees who practice consistency so that players don't have to re-learn rules from week to week!

The thought of how the fans, players and the NFL has to cater to the referees union pisses me off to no end because i believe the referees inconsistencies are partly to blame for players injuries! "Don't hit them high" "Oops, that guys low hit ended his season" "Don't hit them low" "There's another concussion"

I believe if they just left the players alone and quit screwing with the rules there would be a lot less injuries. Nobody knows how to safely tackle better than the players and for the most part, nobody wants to protect their fellow players careers more than other players. Very few of them want to risk a war of attrition where one team retaliates for injuries caused by another.

Ugh! *steps down off of soap box*

The NFL will never have refs make calls that are consistent with anything other than keeping a game close and getting those advertising dollars off the viewers.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
oregonhawkfan":40rxd02t said:
I completely understand that different crews are going to see calls differently, especially the PI calls at high speed. But I do expect that they see and call them consistantly the same for both teams in any given game and that is what did not happen this game.

That's really not the point, but if you take a stance as an officiating crew, be consistent with your calls... don't be a hypocrite.

Calling an OPI on Tate but neglecting the OPI on Wayne was a travesty to Gamesmanship.

Calling the DPI on Browner or Sherman but neglecting the DPI on Toler hooking Rice in the Endzone, or Vontae Davis climbing over Baldwin is a travesty to Sportsmanship.

Those penalties, imo, help take the Seahawks out of their element. Seahawks WRs couldn't play with physicality while Colts DB apparently could do whatever they wanted in the 2nd Half.

Seahawks DBs suck if they have to 2nd guess their physicality, because its a major part to what our defense does on the outside, as well as, Colts WRs were allowed to answer some of that physicality with free plays to push off and commit pass interference where Golden gets called for barely touching the WR while trying to make a play on the ball.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Conspiracies, biases, incompetence, or not, if the games so far this season were more properly officiated, we likely would have lost @HOU, won @IND, and been sitting at the same fantastic record of 4-1 minus one franchise record.