DPI against Brandon Browner and the rules

A World Peace

Reaction score
Ok, bad calls are going to happen when the refs don't get punished in any ways. They basically out there above the law

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
A World Peace":2x40aikl said:
Ok, bad calls are going to happen when the refs don't get punished in any ways. They basically out there above the law

They get demoted if they call a bad game which can equate to losing salary, opportunities for future games (money), bad reputation, etc.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
A World Peace":cl7hbk7v said:

Yet when the NFL tries to seriously improve it, everyone sides with the refs.

"Get rid of the scabs!"
"**** the replacements!"
"Bring back the real regulars!"

Etc...

pehawk

Reaction score
I don't claim to be an expert on it, but from what I recall the NFL wanted the refs to drop any other job they had. That was a huge sticking point. The NFL made their gig a part time one a long time ago, so a lot of those dudes have other jobs. Ed Hoch's an attorney, and the NFL asked him to quit practicing law.

The NFL made it a part-time job awhile ago, IIRC. And, if so, then dude's have a right to have as many jobs as they'd like. American freedom thing.

sc85sis

Reaction score
pehawk":cv82ig4z said:
I don't claim to be an expert on it, but from what I recall the NFL wanted the refs to drop any other job they had. That was a huge sticking point. The NFL made their gig a part time one a long time ago, so a lot of those dudes have other jobs. Ed Hoch's an attorney, and the NFL asked him to quit practicing law.

The NFL made it a part-time job awhile ago, IIRC. And, if so, then dude's have a right to have as many jobs as they'd like. American freedom thing.

They should have made the change via attrition. New refs are full time, part time guys can stay part time. Eventually that latter group retires and you end up with only the full timers.

pehawk

Reaction score
sc85sis":1hei0805 said:
pehawk":1hei0805 said:

They should have made the change via attrition. New refs are full time, part time guys can stay part time. Eventually that latter group retires and you end up with only the full timers.

Agreed. Agreed. Agreed.

You cant just tell dude's like Ed Hoch "hey, yeah, I know you took this job knowing we're the only pro sports league to employ their refs part-time, but we need you to stop providing for your family. Quit your other job, and we're going to pay you less than before".

pehawk

Reaction score
I do understand Roland's point; always blame the unions. It has real value and merit.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'm sorry I can't be quite the mental midget you are, Pe, but explain to me how it's not the officials union that kept the NFL from making officials full-time year-round employees that trained throughout the off-season?

pehawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2hehf879 said:
I'm sorry I can't be quite the mental midget you are, Pe, but explain to me how it's not the officials union that kept the NFL from making officials full-time year-round employees that trained throughout the off-season?

Mental midget? Oh, because of my grammar, I get it. Very true Roland, very true. Good one.

Well, IIRC, this goes all the way back to the 70's. The NFL just ran things leaner and tighter than most, and cut corners that way. The NFL has always lagged behind the other sports in labor deals, that's just a reality. They were the very last to offer free agency, pensions, retirements, etc. Hell, even racial issues they lagged. It began to turn the corner in the early 90's, IIRC.

Anyways, dude's like Hoch we're always attorneys as well, because the ref job allowed for that. So, asking for it now, is slightly unfair to him. I'm a Republican, I believe a man has a right to work as many jobs as he wants. And, he didn't sign up for the full-time thing.

pehawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":22mi19k3 said:
Actually, the mental midget thing had nothing to do with your grammar.

Oh, I'm just dumb. Yeah, I get that a lot. Very true. Well played, sir.

pehawk

Reaction score
No, I get it, really. I'm a mental midget. Yes Roland, I'm a mental midget. I wish I wasn't, but I am.

Feel better now?

So anyways, yeah, if I was Hocholi, I wouldve fought to. Chances are he makes around 350K from a law firm, to provide for his family. He has a right to do that, IMO. I'm not a liberal though, I don't want to fix individuals income or remove their right to negotiate per legal channels. That's just me though.

kigenzun

Reaction score
This is the best, most logical, well reasoned, and thought out piece on the board this week... well, except for the mental midgets part LOL.

No you are... no you are...
No I am... no I am...
:3-1:

PS Of course it is based shaky premise of the NFL Referees actually knowing the rules... which is theoretical at best.

pehawk

Reaction score
I don't know what else I can do for Roland but admit this. Maybe he'll stop derailing things?

The best idea was sis85's, brilliant.