DT Kyle Love coming in for a visit

Birdfinger

Reaction score
Mike Garafolo @MikeGarafolo
Who knew the Jax-Sea pipeline is a 2-way road? Former Jags (and Pats) DT Kyle Love to work out for the Seahawks today.

Love has Type-2 diabetes and is 26 years old.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
It's odd to me that they are so interested in finding DT's when we just cut a bunch of them.

They must have REALLY not been impressed with the likes of McDonald, Howard, Cherrington, Silaga and Brooks.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":22vue7oz said:
It's odd to me that they are so interested in finding DT's when we just cut a bunch of them.

They must have REALLY not been impressed with the likes of McDonald, Howard, Cherrington, Silaga and Brooks.

Agreed. It seems bizarre to me they're bringing in guys who don't seem to be as good as Howard.

Largent80

Reaction score
I am now under the firm belief that P & J are just trying to mess everyone up.
And, Howard must really have been unimpressive to the entire staff since Quinn was a coach of his in college.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I thought we dropped Clinton McDonald.

Otherwise, all of those other guys are just 'guys'. I would expect to see a lot of churn at the end of the depth chart -- at least until Clemons returns.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1yfd4e30 said:
I thought we dropped Clinton McDonald.

Otherwise, all of those other guys are just 'guys'. I would expect to see a lot of churn at the end of the depth chart -- at least until Clemons returns.

None of these guys they are bringing in have anything to do with Clemons. They are all 3-technique DT's.

And Clemons already has a spot on the 53-man roster, so it really doesn't matter as he already eats a roster spot.

This is entirely about them trying to find something better in the middle of the line.

drdiags

Reaction score
It is looking to me that is just a matter of time before Jordan Hill goes on the IR. Would suspect DT is high on the list for next year's draft.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
drdiags":3owifcmq said:
It is looking to me that is just a matter of time before Jordan Hill goes on the IR. Would suspect DT is high on the list for next year's draft.

Sounded to me like Pete expects Hill back soon. Which means he is on life support.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Scottemojo":vohddi72 said:
drdiags":vohddi72 said:

Sounded to me like Pete expects Hill back soon. Which means he is on life support.

Kiss of death!

Schadie001

Reaction score
Shouldn't surprise anyone...this is our team's MO. Always looking to improve.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Schadie001":9w2ejg4q said:
Shouldn't surprise anyone...this is our team's MO. Always looking to improve.

Yep. These other dudes might seem to be no different that McDonald or Howard on the surface, but who knows... maybe this system can punch them through their own personal glass ceilings and onto a whole other level. After a couple years with them, they must have figured out that McDonald, Howard et al (while totally capable of doing their jobs at a 'role player' level) didn't have the 'it' factor to potentially take them to the next level.

It's quite possible these new guys don't have 'it' either (hell, it's probably likely they don't) but they know that the other guys didn't have it, so why not cycle them out for some fresh meat. I love the approach. Constantly churning the bottom 1/3 of the roster. Keep the cream that rises and dump out the rest. Role players with potential are much better than role players that will always be just role players after all...

Basis4day

Reaction score
drdiags":1kp69p7w said:

Based on what exactly?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Kyle Love did pretty solid in the preseason from what I saw of him.

Then again, Howard looked better so now I am stumped.

If you wanted the big weakness (besides pass protection) for us this year, DT seems to be the one. Well, that and TE but I am just going to trust they have a reason 2 TEs is all they wanted at this point. Based on how we were run on by the 1s though, DT is a problem.

Maybe the issue with Howard is off the field, how he got along with the coaching staff? In the games he seemed to stand out. Could his practices have been that bad?

I am puzzled but it is water under the bridge since he is a Chief now.

In the meantime, how our DL is going to stand up to good offensive lines is still a concern to me, it appears the way you beat our defense might be to run it up our throats.

drdiags

Reaction score
Basis4day":2m29o6m4 said:
drdiags":2m29o6m4 said:

Based on what exactly?

On my own inclination. Hill himself had reported to folks back East that he was done for the year when the injury happened, only for the story to change after he consulted with team doctors. Just my cynicism. So now you know what my speculation was based on, along with the fact that the time frame for recovery is starting to look like his original estimates he gave to home town media in Pennsylvania.

McGruff

Reaction score
drdiags":3n5iyv2d said:

Um, all signs point to the exact opposite being true.

drdiags

Reaction score
McGruff":2qhf6w4j said:
drdiags":2qhf6w4j said:

Um, all signs point to the exact opposite being true.

Okay. Thanks!

ivotuk

Reaction score
As far as Howard goes, I"m sure they based their decision on his entire stay here. Just because he did good in this preseason doesn't mean he's a keeper. I think he has talent but lacks motivation.

To me it looks like they are looking for run stoppers, someone to clog up the middle and to do so late in the season. What killed us last year, besides the short passes over the middle, was the inability to stop the run late in the season. With Jesse Williams on IR, they are looking for an anchor to take some reps and keep our other guys fresh. And it seems like they are focusing on guys that are good at just that. It's not like there are good pass rushing, run stopping DTs available at this time of year.

I also wonder if they are thinking that McDonald was part of the problem with last year's run stopping late?

CANHawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":jgi8emsm said:
As far as Howard goes, I"m sure they based their decision on his entire stay here. Just because he did good in this preseason doesn't mean he's a keeper. I think he has talent but lacks motivation.

To me it looks like they are looking for run stoppers, someone to clog up the middle and to do so late in the season. What killed us last year, besides the short passes over the middle, was the inability to stop the run late in the season. With Jesse Williams on IR, they are looking for an anchor to take some reps and keep our other guys fresh. And it seems like they are focusing on guys that are good at just that. It's not like there are good pass rushing, run stopping DTs available at this time of year.

I also wonder if they are thinking that McDonald was part of the problem with last year's run stopping late?

Good question. I had always thought McD's one big upside was his run stuffing, but perhaps not. Maybe I need Lasik. Or perhaps he was just too one dimensional to keep around. Can't really recall him ever being a threat to take down a QB...

Latest posts